Tempo Mapping Songs With Cluttered Waveforms

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I just started looking into how to chart in the last week or so, and I’ve already hit a bit of a roadblock charting Horse the Band’s song Shapeshift. As I understand it from reading the harmonix docs and the tutorials, I need to mark each measure generally by using the upbeats and downbeats via snares and kicks, which should look like a clear peak in an audio waveform. However, once the instruments all kick in on the song I’m working on, the waveform becomes an indistinguishable mess of white. Song quality shouldn’t be an issue, I’m using a 320 mp3 straight off the CD.

Is there a way to make this appear cleaner or is there some way of working around this? Any advice would be awesome. :ohdear: If it’s at all relevant, here’s a link to the part of the song where this begins.

36 seconds in if the link doesn’t do it automatically.

Farottone
    Keymaster

Zoom in more, use your ears and activate the metronome. Unfortunately against the loudness war there’s not a lot more you can do.

Mind if I offer a suggestion?

Find an easier song to chart until you become comfortable with tempo mapping. I make no judgments on musical tastes but that song would be a nightmare for even the most accomplished of charters.

StackOverflow0x
      Participant

Find the official version on YouTube which won’t be clipped and map that. Then you can use the loud audio if you want, assuming the versions of the song are the same.

Thanks for the advice, guys. It’ll help in stuff I work on later on, I’m sure, but I think I’m going to take fruitloops’ advice and work on something simpler.

Nyxyxylyth
        Participant

There are plenty of songs that are victims of the loudness wars that I consider unmappable. I’d given up on Cage the Elephant’s “Come a Little Closer”, but somehow thespike muddled through it.

There are plenty of songs that are victims of the loudness wars that I consider unmappable. I’d given up on Cage the Elephant’s “Come a Little Closer”, but somehow thespike muddled through it.

Yeah, I figure some people just have a lot more patience than I do since a lot of customs I see are perfect examples of stuff from the loudness war. Spike’s spreadsheet of stuff is a good example of that actually. If only stems were easy to come by!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Back to top button