Recommendation on Drum Fills

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    EzloDQ
    Participant

Just finished doing my very first tempo map, and very first drum track of an actual song. I did a few “drum lesson” tracks for personal use that I took a lot of shortcuts with.

At any rate, I’ve just now started putting the finishing touches on it, and I have a bit of a dilemma that I was curious what the official “best practice” would be.

The song has a pretty consistent structure. Crash/kick after every 4 measures, which is perfect for drum fill locations. Problem I have, is that after every crash/kick in the song, is a 16th note kick, before the 1/8th hi-hat groove gets back on track. There is a total of 17 crash/kicks, 9 of which have a fill attached.

Untitled.png

So the fill happens, the activation note is on the natural crash of the song, and then immediately a single kick before the hi-hat groove. It is just a little bit awkward having to hit a random kick before you pick up the groove again. If I remove that kick, it throws off the feel of the groove if you go into that section without having OD.

What’s the best way to handle this? Should I move the fills? Remove the kick? Not worry about it? This only happens with expert, since that kick is removed on all other difficulties already.

Shroud
      Participant

The best way is always to chart what is in the song!

If there’s an extra kick, chart the extra kick. It makes no sense to remove a valid “note” to simplify the playing, unless the game can’t support it (as it could be the case with simultaneous Pro Keys notes which are too far apart, for example). That extra kick probably makes this song unique, different from other songs. 

Jack Tyler Rourke
        Participant

I agree with Shroud, arbitrarily removing notes, especially if they are clearly audible, is generally not a good idea. I’ve done it, and the results have never satisfied me. 

With that said, you should still make the part feel good, or at the bare minimum playable. You mention that the drum kick feels out of place after the section, have you considered removing the fill altogether?

Personally, I’d leave the fill and the kick, since that was the intention of the drummer (most likely).

EzloDQ
          Participant

5 hours ago, Jack Tyler Rourke said:

You mention that the drum kick feels out of place after the section, have you considered removing the fill altogether?

Personally, I’d leave the fill and the kick, since that was the intention of the drummer (most likely).

This is every fill though, not just the one. 9 of the 17 crashes have a fill, and those are the only fills. Thinking of just leaving it as is since its only an issue on expert and expert players should be able to hit it. It didn’t throw me off too much but I did make it, so I was just wondering if this was “bad practice” for a fill.

Maybe if it was a 1/32 kick after a crash it would be worse.

hardcoredrummer
            Participant

I think another question that could be asked and may have been discussed before is how many people play with fills turned on?

I have them turned off and rather play what the song intends….sure i can do my own fills and a bunch of songs have the freestyle ending where you can go nuts if you like….perhaps i’m the only one who turns them off but if most do than you won’t really have a problem with taking anything out. Also what do you play? Chart for yourself so if you are a fills guy then do what you feel is best…

you mentioned doing an actual song and personal drum lessons. i assume this question and picture pertains to the actual song?

EzloDQ
              Participant

8 minutes ago, hardcoredrummer said:

you mentioned doing an actual song and personal drum lessons. i assume this question and picture pertains to the actual song?

Yes, actual song. I also play with fills off as I like to play what is actually charted for the song. I’m sure it’s fine the way it is and I’m just nit picking since it’s my first one. Trying to make it look like it was done by someone that knows what they’re doing, but I’m not sure I’m quite there yet.

Shroud
                Participant

I play with fills off because I want to learn to replicate the original drummer’s work as exactly as possible. 

If a chart removes valid notes to make it easier, it’s a bummer… that’s what easy/medium/hard difficulties are for! Chart all notes and give the song a higher difficulty rate if it turns out challenging to play. 

EzloDQ
                  Participant

4 hours ago, Shroud said:

Chart all notes and give the song a higher difficulty rate if it turns out challenging to play. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FKjoNNH3V-s-oXGZfGweobLBO0_Ge5hZ/view?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think!

hardcoredrummer
                    Participant

5 hours ago, Ethanr3912 said:

lol of course you did a band with two drummers to start with….this song could have been tricky cause of that…this is a song i would have done i think down the road but because of the two drummer thing you have to come up with a strategy of are you only charting real drums and leaving holes or are you charting what makes sense or everything. check out the newer bring me the horizon tracks being charted on here…lot of them should probably only have done the real drums in my opinion…oh and some of the new machine gun kelly songs

i can help with the drums if you could use some critiquing. do you plan to do anymore HW songs? suppose this is time to make a whip thread….

there is a few things i’d change. again it’s an interesting song and band because you had the stand up percussionist Matthew “Da Kurlzz” Busek who played a  Yamaha ekit with no bass pedal and a hired session drummer that plays an actual full acoustic set.

first example about this song is that cymbal break down synth beat after the first chorus from what i see live it isn’t played by anyone. probably programmed by the percussionist but i know for sure the real drummer doesn’t play it and i think it’s part of a backing track as i can’t find footage of Da Kurlzz playing it live either…like his job was that hard haha.

doesn’t mean you should necessarily take it out because it’s not that hard and i’m surprised one of the two drummers doesn’t give it a whirl live….it’s kind of that trap music style cymbal thing…

I’ll play it a few more times and get back to you with a pm on some things if that’s cool?

EzloDQ
                      Participant

2 hours ago, hardcoredrummer said:

I’ll play it a few more times and get back to you with a pm on some things if that’s cool?

That sounds like exactly what I’m looking for! I agonized over that cymbal break for a while. Changed it sooooo many times, kept hearing different things. I guess I know why now!

I’m not sure if I’m going to do more HU songs. This song was one I’ve been wanting to play on drums for a while so once I learned the basics, I just had to.

I only did the drums. Guitar only version was already in the DB.

Jack Tyler Rourke
                        Participant

On 11/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, hardcoredrummer said:

I think another question that could be asked and may have been discussed before is how many people play with fills turned on?

I play all customs on Rock Band 2, so I really don’t have much of a choice. 

hardcoredrummer
                          Participant

On 11/16/2020 at 9:05 AM, Jack Tyler Rourke said:

I play all customs on Rock Band 2, so I really don’t have much of a choice. 

just curious but is that because you can’t find a working rb3 copy?

Jack Tyler Rourke
                            Participant

5 hours ago, hardcoredrummer said:

just curious but is that because you can’t find a working rb3 copy?

Well, in part yes. But I kinda enjoy RB2 a bit more as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Back to top button