Mastodon – Emperor of Sand

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    AJFOne23
    Participant

I hope it’s much better than the last one which I never really got into.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mastodon-new-album-is-in-the-bag/

Bansheeflyer

Yeah I didn’t really like Once More Around the Sun.

I’m excited for this new one though!

Is this the double album they said they were working on a while back? Hoping it’s a return to form. Mastodon is kind of devolving in the same way that Metallica did and I’m not a fan.

AJFOne23
        Participant

I couldn’t agree more. If you compare each of their albums and what they meant at the time:

Remission vs. Kill Em All: Rough and raw debut that got people’s attention

Leviathan vs. Ride the Lightning: Significant progression in terms of songwriting and established they were a forced to be reckoned with

Blood Mountain vs. Master of Puppets: More exposure and success; considered by many to be the peak of their early work

Crack the Skye vs. And Justice for All: most progressive efforts that were hailed by fans but begin to wear on the band members throughout their respective tours

The Hunter vs. The Black album: both bands decided they’ve gone as far out as they would like and decided to scale song writing back and bring in producers that will bring a more polished sound.

Once More Around the Sun vs. Load/Reload: Both bands appear to be without direction and turn out uninspired albums that while not bad are a shadow of their former glory

While I’d agree OMRTS is their weakest album, I only like it a small margin less than The Hunter and I wouldn’t say it’s as hard of a fall as Load/Reload was for Metallica. “Ember City” is one of my favorite Mastodon tracks from their whole catalog, and “Chimes at Midnight” and “Asleep in the Deep” are great, too.

Anyway, if we continued the Mastodon/Metallica comparison, Mastodon’s next album would be their St. Anger… so let’s hope they break this pattern.

AJFOne23
          Participant

While I’d agree OMRTS is their weakest album, I only like it a small margin less than The Hunter and I wouldn’t say it’s as hard of a fall as Load/Reload was for Metallica. “Ember City” is one of my favorite Mastodon tracks from their whole catalog, and “Chimes at Midnight” and “Asleep in the Deep” are great, too.

Anyway, if we continued the Mastodon/Metallica comparison, Mastodon’s next album would be their St. Anger… so let’s hope they break this pattern.

I hope we don’t he don’t have to endure St. Mastodon. Can’t we just skip to Death Mastodonic?

I’m waiting for their Lulu to drop, myself.

Bansheeflyer

I’m hoping for another Crack the Skye. I really liked that album. Blood Mountain has my favorite songs but Crack the Skye had the highest number of songs I enjoyed.

Yeah, I would’ve loved for them to refine their Crack the Skye sound further but they seemingly dropped it altogether.

AJFOne23
              Participant

Another thing to remember is that these guys are old. They didn’t record Remission in the early 20’s. There were all late 20’s or early 30’s when they came together so now they’re all over 40 and don’t have that fire most bands would still have at album 7 but I hope they prove me wrong.

Well, the first single has leaked. While I’m not normally the type of person to listen to leaks, and the sound quality is kinda off, I’d definitely say they’re moving in the right direction with this album.

AJFOne23
                Participant

Having Brendan O’Brien behind the boards is a plus. I just hope the vocals aren’t too polished. The Hunter polish was a far as they should ever go. Music sounds good. More work for me in the future lol

AJFOne23
                  Participant

Vocals sound good to me. Crack the Skye polish is back!

Bansheeflyer

Sweet. Looking forward to March 31st.

Now to see how the new Gorillaz album will sound…

Gonna be honest, Once More Round The Sun is my favorite mastodon album, with a close second from Crack The Skye. Maybe I’m the only one who feels that way. Hype for new album though

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Back to top button