Making GH Conversions Wii-Compatible?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    regularjphn
    Participant

So many great songs on the database currently (Obstacle 1, Stacy’s Mom, Assassin, Fascination Street, and more) are essentially direct lifts from their respective Guitar Hero charts, which unfortunately means that they simply do not function properly on Wii. Due to the Wii’s inability to process these high-quality multitracks in time, the game stutters and freezes mid-song, and frankly, it’s unplayable! Does anyone have an archive of Wii versions of these songs or is there some other way I can convert these songs to work properly on Wii?

I’ve never used it but it floats somewhere in these forums I’m sure you can find it using the search function. The software is called RockBiink (or something close to that?), it should do what you’re asking for.

Shroud
      Participant

Does converting them to single-track make them work properly? This is something everyone can do using C3 CON Tools.

Yeah, but iirc RockBiink can deal with the C3 encryption so if they want to keep multi-tracks it’s probably a better option for Wii users. It’s a tool specifically for Wii audio files.

TrojanNemo
        Participant

Does converting them to single-track make them work properly? This is something everyone can do using C3 CON Tools.

C3 CON Tools will not work for that. Encryption aside, you need the magma header for the audio to work in game, which is something only MagmaCompiler adds to the audio files when creating the song.

Shroud
          Participant

C3 CON Tools will not work for that. Encryption aside, you need the magma header for the audio to work in game, which is something only MagmaCompiler adds to the audio files when creating the song.

Of course… my bad! C3 CON Tools for the initial extraction of the (stereo) audio and the final Wii conversion, but Magma is necessary for -rebuilding the CON file with the new audio.

regularjphn
            Participant

Of course… my bad! C3 CON Tools for the initial extraction of the (stereo) audio and the final Wii conversion, but Magma is necessary for -rebuilding the CON file with the new audio.

But all the .mogg files for customs are encrypted, meaning that everything except the downmixed stereo guitar .ogg from the PhaseShift converter is inaccessible. With this encryption in place, I’m not sure it’s even possible for standard Wii users to play these customs.

Shroud
              Participant

But all the .mogg files for customs are encrypted, meaning that everything except the downmixed stereo guitar .ogg from the PhaseShift converter is inaccessible. With this encryption in place, I’m not sure it’s even possible for standard Wii users to play these customs.

You lose the separation of instruments when extracting stereo audio from an encrypted mogg, but at least it will work.

We have a similar problem in PS3 with certain multitrack customs which freeze the game. It’s better to convert them to single-track than not to be able to play them at all!

regularjphn
                Participant

You lose the separation of instruments when extracting stereo audio from an encrypted mogg, but at least it will work.

We have a similar problem in PS3 with certain multitrack customs which freeze the game. It’s better to convert them to single-track than not to be able to play them at all!

Oh, so the guitar .ogg created from PhaseShift also has the other instruments? I deleted it already because I for some reason thought it only had the guitar track, which in retrospect would make no sense lol

TrojanNemo
                  Participant

Phase Shift was developed so it would work with Frets On Fire songs. guitar.ogg is the backing track when there are no multitracks for both of those games.

The problem here is that all the work that I did initially was centered on Xbox 360 customs because that is the best platform to be in for this game. After the fact we tried to accommodate PS3 and Wii users and I made tools specifically to try and help, but the limitations are there and we can only do so much. Short of each author going back and redoing each song to be Wii/PS3 friendly, it’s not going to happen. Your best best is to extract the audio with C3 CON Tools and then recompile with Magma, even if you lose multitracks. I think if you throw the CON file at Magma it’ll automatically prepare everything except the audio, which you can throw at it after extracting from C3 CON Tools and it should be a matter of a couple of minutes per song. Not quite automated but also far from requiring intensive manual labor.

regularjphn
                    Participant

Phase Shift was developed so it would work with Frets On Fire songs. guitar.ogg is the backing track when there are no multitracks for both of those games.

The problem here is that all the work that I did initially was centered on Xbox 360 customs because that is the best platform to be in for this game. After the fact we tried to accommodate PS3 and Wii users and I made tools specifically to try and help, but the limitations are there and we can only do so much. Short of each author going back and redoing each song to be Wii/PS3 friendly, it’s not going to happen. Your best best is to extract the audio with C3 CON Tools and then recompile with Magma, even if you lose multitracks. I think if you throw the CON file at Magma it’ll automatically prepare everything except the audio, which you can throw at it after extracting from C3 CON Tools and it should be a matter of a couple of minutes per song. Not quite automated but also far from requiring intensive manual labor.

This is just the answer I was looking for – thanks for making all these tools in the first place! Currently watching your Magma tutorial to catch myself up to speed.

regularjphn
                      Participant

Erm, just a quick question: how do I bypass any errors that come along with the midi when building the CON? I’m using the midi from the CON I downloaded from the database and didn’t alter it, so surely there must be a way to let them slide.

TrojanNemo
                        Participant

Unfortunately there’s not going to be an easy way to do that. But customs compiled through Magma should not be throwing errors when you try to compile the song again, since the MIDI has already passed the verification the first time around. What errors are you getting?

regularjphn
                          Participant

Unfortunately there’s not going to be an easy way to do that. But customs compiled through Magma should not be throwing errors when you try to compile the song again, since the MIDI has already passed the verification the first time around. What errors are you getting?

ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (EVENTS): prc_Chorus_Again event at [75:1:000] is not allowed
                            ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (EVENTS): prc_Building_It_Up event at [95:1:000] is not allowed
                            ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (EVENTS): prc_Resolution_Riff event at [103:1:000] is not allowed
                            ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART DRUMS): Bad MIDI note 114 at [90:1:000]
                            ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART DRUMS): Bad MIDI note 114 at [97:1:000]
                            ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART DRUMS): Bad MIDI note 114 at [115:1:000]
                            The CON I’m using is the one currently on the database for the Guitar Hero conversion of Obstacle 1 by Interpol, I just dragged and dropped the CON into Magma and then ran the tester. The song technically works on Wii, it just stutters and freezes up as with other conversions.
                            TrojanNemo
                            Participant

Those are all “easy” fixes if you have REAPER installed and know how to mess around with it. Unfortunately there’s nothing in my tools that will automatically fix those errors I think. Have you tried MIDI Cleaner in C3 CON Tools? That’s the only thing that MIGHT help but probably won’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Back to top button