Keyboard Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    a2dmusic
    Participant

I realize this is more of a regular RB3 question, but Harmonix killed their forums and this is an active and awesome community…

So I had RB-RB3 + Beatles back in the day but all that stuff went away when I had to downsize due to personal life stuff.

I recently rebought a bunch of gear and have been playing guitar/bass stuff, but am eager to get back into the keyboard parts both in customs and the officials. (and I’ve actually already started basic work on customs too).

The keyboard controller is working in terms of the XBox logo button, Start/Back, D-pad, and the ABXY buttons.

But when I play a song, on the left by my fan meter it says “Press Start” alternating with “Join” and the actual keyboard doesn’t seem to trigger notes at all. If I press start, I just get the usual resume/restart/etc menu. But I can’t get any responsiveness from the keys! This is a “new” keyboard (bought it unopened), so unless it’s a lemon, I’m assuming that it isn’t merely that they keyboard itself is broken. But I can’t get notes to register!

Any help?

BornGamerRob
      Participant

But when I play a song, on the left by my fan meter it says “Press Start” alternating with “Join” and the actual keyboard doesn’t seem to trigger notes at all. If I press start, I just get the usual resume/restart/etc menu. But I can’t get any responsiveness from the keys! This is a “new” keyboard (bought it unopened), so unless it’s a lemon, I’m assuming that it isn’t merely that they keyboard itself is broken. But I can’t get notes to register!

The “Join” is for other members with other instruments to join. Why your keys aren’t working shouldn’t be related to that.

Things to consider:

– Are you playing 5-keys (standard) and hitting notes outside the 5 key area?

– Are you playing with a midi adapter? Is it set to keys and not guitar or drums?

– Hook the keyboard up to your PC using a midi cable (if you can, this may be more complicated than you want), and ensure the keyboard itself is working.

Shroud
        Participant

In addition, are you actually using an XBOX RB keyboard with an XBOX console?

This sounds like the most stupid question ever, I know… but I was dumb enough not to double-check carefully when I first bought a second hand keyboard for PS3, and it turned out to be for the Wii. Of course I had asked the seller to test it before I bought it, and he swore he did, but he really only tested it as a controller and didn’t really play the game with it. Some RB keyboards can work as a controller (i.e. the general select/start and four-color buttons will work) when plugged into a different console they are meant for, but they won’t work as an actual keyboard (i.e. black and white keys are not recognized).

Linos Melendi
          Participant

This is also gonna sound stupid but try turning the controller off and on during the song if it’s not responding. It legit has worked for me because my keyboard controller also sometimes does this to me (that being the xbox specific buttons working but not the actual keys).

a2dmusic
            Participant

Thanks for all of your responses and I’m sorry I didn’t get back sooner… that’s bad form.

Linos nailed it! Just some weird jank with the hardware that is reset with an off/on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Back to top button