How Fast is Too Fast for a Song’s BPM?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I’m aware of there being a limit on BPM (300, right?), but I’m charting a song that’s played at 240 bpm and has multiple uses of 16th notes and 8th note triplets played at that speed, and I’m wondering if it’d be better for gameplay (and to avoid character animations spazzing out in-game) to cut the BPM in half and chart using 32nd notes/16th triplets instead.

Gigakoops
    Participant

That depends on the style of music. I personally don’t mind using higher tempos for extreme metal songs, for example, as long as I also adjust the animation speed and adjust the HOPOs (I tend to opt for manually adding HOPOs for 8th notes, though there’s also an option in MagmaC3 to alter the HOPO threshold to make 8th notes HOPOs).

AJFOne23
      Participant

the note lengths have nothing to do with animations. that’s determined by the BEAT track so you could have a 240 bpm and then halve the beat notes and they’ll look normal doing their thing

the note lengths have nothing to do with animations. that’s determined by the BEAT track so you could have a 240 bpm and then halve the beat notes and they’ll look normal doing their thing

There’s also the setting in Magma that asks for the BPM for the Animation speeds. Assuming that is taken into account as well since you’d be switching it to the 160+ option.

Are you absolutely positive the song is at that tempo? It’s definitely not impossible; just curious. It’s peaked my interest however. Assuming you wanted to keep it a secret would you mind PM’ing me the song so I could check it out?

Farottone
        Keymaster

Plenty of metal songs easily exceed 200 BPMs.

Plenty of metal songs easily exceed 200 BPMs.

That explains why my aging hands & feet can’t keep up with metal songs as well as I used to………

And I thought my drum kit was the problem :haw:

Kloporte
          Participant

Are you absolutely positive the song is at that tempo? It’s definitely not impossible; just curious. It’s peaked my interest however. Assuming you wanted to keep it a secret would you mind PM’ing me the song so I could check it out?

Here’s a video showing two songs around 240BPM:

But yeah, I think the “Set tempo by bar” (Q) command doesn’t work with BPMs higher than 240 so in that case it may be better to cut it in half.

There’s also the setting in Magma that asks for the BPM for the Animation speeds. Assuming that is taken into account as well since you’d be switching it to the 160+ option.

The song is Only Ash Remains by Necrophagist.

But yeah, I think the “Set tempo by bar” (Q) command doesn’t work with BPMs higher than 240 so in that case it may be better to cut it in half.

You seem to be right, I’m gonna have to half the tempo then. Thanks anyway guys.

The song is Only Ash Remains by Necrophagist.

Yeah. I’m getting about 240-244 for the main part of the song.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Back to top button