How do YOU chart pro keys?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I was wondering how some of you go about charting pro keys. I’m not the greatest at charting pro keys, mostly because I can almost never chart the right chords. Do you just get a midi of the song and then just chart from there? I feel like either that or a youtube tutorial would be the easiest way to do it. Besides doing it by ear, which seems like a huge pain (at least for me).

TrojanNemo
    Participant

I’m not very good at it, since I can’t pick out pitch by ear…but what I prefer is when I work on songs from Jammit, to use the official sheet music they provide. It’s tedious, but it’s accurate. Other than that, it’s difficult to trust sheet music found online because it’s typically arrangements and not the actual boring backing track, and instead they try to put the vocals into the piano.

Second preference is full midis and then Synesthesia (sp?) midis, which are typically done very accurately.

Farottone
      Keymaster
        I was wondering how some of you go about charting pro keys. I’m not the greatest at charting pro keys, mostly because I can almost never chart the right chords. Do you just get a midi of the song and then just chart from there?

Yes. MIDI or GP file. More rarely, sheet music, when it’s accurate enough. Another part of our upcoming tutorial, keys charting with a MIDI file.

Thanks for the replies. It’s really helping me a lot. I also can’t wait for the tutorials. I already watched Nyx’s vocal charting tutorial and I learned a lot of things I didn’t know before.

Nyxyxylyth
        Participant
          I was wondering how some of you go about charting pro keys. I’m not the greatest at charting pro keys, mostly because I can almost never chart the right chords. Do you just get a midi of the song and then just chart from there? I feel like either that or a youtube tutorial would be the easiest way to do it. Besides doing it by ear, which seems like a huge pain (at least for me).

Doing it by ear is the biggest pain there is. Getting the order of keys right in a chord is the hardest thing my ears have ever done.

Keys are usually shoved so far in the back of the mix that you just can’t make any guarantees. Every time I look back to my #20 pro keys ringer to see what he thinks of a custom, I feel like I’ve gotten away with something.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Back to top button