Frank Zappa Project/Object – WIP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    AJFOne23
    Participant

ADDED:

Time is Money – D

nsw1-6
      Participant

A little update from myself. I’m still collaborating with AJFOne on a lot of tracks here, but there’s an upcoming round that are solely charted by me. These are mostly short songs mixed in with some lengthier ones.

After a few more collabs I will be focusing on this set primarily, then on to other Zap charts.

NSW1-6’s Batch O’ Zappa #1 (includes half of my Zappa Zoots / Comedy Pack idea I had before this project came into existence):

Pygmy Twylyte – M
        San Ber’dino – D, V
        Zoot Allures – M
        Disco Boy – M (Rough)
        Bobby Brown – M

Wowie Zowie – D
        Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance – B, V
        Uncle Meat: Main Theme – M (Rough)
        Sleeping In A Jar – B, D ,V
        A Pound For A Brown On The Bus – M
        Cruising For Burgers – M
        Wonderful Wino ’73 – M (Rough)
        Wind Up Workin’ At A Gas Station – D
        Baby Snakes – D
        EDIT: Updated with colors and stuff.
        AJFOne23
        Participant

ADDED:

Teenage Wind

The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing

Heavenly Bank Account

AJFOne23
          Participant

ADDED:

Would You Go All the Way? – D

AJFOne23
            Participant

LATEST UPDATE 10/31 – The 8 days of Halloween – Day 8 – Frank Zappa 3-pack Spooktacular!

GUITAR/BASS: nsw1-6

Cheepnis is is a tribute to B-movies. The song sings about the special effects in early horror movies, including a monster, named “Frunobulax”, a very large poodle dog. One of Zappa’s most exhilarating songs from the 1973-1974 period, “Cheepnis” coupled fast-paced rock with tons of quirky ornaments, complex arrangements, and genuine madness. The original version, released on the 1974 live LP Roxy & Elsewhere, has very little live material on it after the spoken introduction: heavily overdubbed, it also features a bridge section with sped-up voices that was never performed on stage!

This critique of the television as the tool of power to render the masses numb has not aged one iota since it was written. Frank Zappa’s low whispery voice frightens and hypnotizes at the same time. No wonder it remained a popular song in his repertoire, enough to be included on the compilation album Strictly Commercial.

“Zomby Woof” is the story of a man who went to sleep and woke up transformed into a “zomby woof,” a play on words making him some kind of a zombie/werewolf/dog creature. The transformation was illustrated in the original studio version by the shift in lead vocals from Zappa’s calm basso voice to Ricky Lancelotti’s “mad lion” roars and Tasmanian Devil-esque energy. The basis frame of a straightforward rock song in 4/4 is periodically stretched to accommodate a 7/8 riff and, what is the tune’s most identifiable feature, a four-bar break played in 5/4 (five against four). These elements hint at the complexity of the material Zappa would soon write for the albums Roxy & Elsewhere and One Size Fits All.

Looking forward to these songs! I can’t wait for Bobby Brown!

AJFOne23
              Participant

Added A Little Green Rosetta

nsw1-6
                Participant

Decided to update my progress here as well.

My Zappa stuff is being moved around a bit. First there will be 4-5 songs which will be released gradually over a number of weeks, and the rest (including a lot of newer songs) are divided up into two groups: Short songs and Humor. The “Little Ditties” group is good, awesome, and/or cutesy songs Zappa did that are at/under 3 minutes in length. The “Humor” group is a swath of tunes that have humorous lyrics, ranging from true laughter-inducing to gross-out taboo.

This will start picking up faster once I clean out some of my other projects.

AJFOne23
                  Participant

I wanted to announce that soon the Frank Zappa Project/Object will resume activity after a long period of doormancy. Thanks to the lovely Ghostbyob for her contributions as well as my old pal nsw1-6. Does humor belong in music? We shall see

xiaNaix
                    Participant

I wanted to announce that soon the Frank Zappa Project/Object will resume activity after a long period of doormancy. Thanks to the lovely Ghostbyob for her contributions as well as my old pal nsw1-6. Does humor belong in music? We shall see

Fantastic news!

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Back to top button