Compiling – audio questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    GoodGooglyMoogly
    Participant

I have been working on my first custom for a bit and have it to the point where I am able to compile in magma successfully and playtest drums. However, I am definitely doing something wrong with the audio track. Did I miss an important step in the beginning regarding splitting the .wav file into separate stems?

What I did initially was render the .wav file in reaper and applied it to the “drum mix | kit” in magma only which threw some warnings but I went ahead to test. While this did work, when I miss a note the entire track mutes (which i understand is how it is supposed to work) but I’m not sure what I should do to address this correctly. I then went back and applied the same .wav file to both the drum kit mix as well as the backing track in magma and it warned me this is incorrect and I should use silent .wav tracks for instruments and it also mentioned 2 tracks was not ideal either and that I can add a silent crowd track to address this if I only have 1 instrument.

Q1*Was I supposed to put the actual .wav file as the backing track only and then generate some silent .wav files for the instruments? Can someone point me in the right direction to address this properly?

Q2*One other minor thing I somehow messed up is that the count-in is not audible when playtesting. Did I not render the .wav file correctly?

EchoOfMystery
      Participant

1. Precisely. And if volume is an issue, you’d only have to modify it in the original.

2. Check if you didn’t leave the count-in track muted in Reaper, or that the volume slider was too low! Depending on how you do it, you also have to select/highlight the count-in audio for rendering.

GoodGooglyMoogly
        Participant

Thanks Echo!

I rendered the audio with the song track muted to make a silent version and applied it to the drum kit and crowd and that sounds like it worked. I must have also had the count-in muted the first time I rendered the main audio because I tried it again with it not muted and now I can hear the count-in. Just tested and I believe I fixed both of those issues.

I do have another question about shortening the track. I might not mess with it right now since I’m happy it’s working but at some point I might want to adjust where it ends. I kind of just messed with the “end” marker until I made magma happy but I’m not positive I did it correctly. You can see in the image below that I had to drag the Events out slightly past all of the other tracks. Does this look alright?

I think I’d like to end at 61.1.00 instead as anything past that is silent.

Would I just drag the song audio back to 61.1.00 and all of the other tracks to 61.1.00 but leave the events track pushed out just slightly past like I did? (+ re-render audio tracks)

YRLgPq2.jpg

EchoOfMystery
          Participant

I rendered the audio with the song track muted to make a silent version and applied it to the drum kit and crowd and that sounds like it worked.

Actually, it’s not necessary to create a silent file, because if you right-click an instrument audio field in Magma, you have two options of dummy files to insert, already part of Magma.

I think I’d like to end at 61.1.00 instead as anything past that is silent.

Would I just drag the song audio back to 61.1.00 and all of the other tracks to 61.1.00 but leave the events track pushed out just slightly past like I did? (+ re-render audio tracks)

That’s right! 61.1.00 seems to be a good spot, there. Anything past the “editable” midi area is obscured, and not exported to the .midi, so that spare bit of the track is normal.

rubydanger
            Participant

Basically, music_end is where the crowd will start cheering, end is when the song will quit in game and head to stats screen

GoodGooglyMoogly
              Participant

Ah, I see the option for silent tracks in magma – I kind of forgot that was an option after reading so many documents. I went ahead and shortened it as well I just need to give it another test!

Thanks for the tip as well rubydanger. So I guess I can move that [music_end] a little bit earlier than when the track goes completely silent.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Back to top button