Any best practices for creating a custom of two songs back to back?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cleverest
    Participant

I have TWO songs planned to create that are truly married on an album, back-to-back and REALLY make sense to play in direct sequence… (drums only for now, hopefully will collab for more later)

That being said, options are always nice….

Should I author each one individually and then will it be easy to combine them together as a dual track somehow later, or should I just create the dual-track since I’m determined to have that FOR SURE?

It should be noted that both songs, as happy fate would have it, are the same BPM (140)…so I have to imagine that makes things a bit easier somehow?

I’m still fairly new to this, and this is the first time I’ve tried creating a custom of TWO tracks together…

The two tracks are the first two tracks played in this live set. Pretty obscure band ATHLETICS.

Tracks are II and III (yes, those are the titles):

LIVE VIDEO

Album versions on this page: https://deepelmdigital.com/album/who-you-are-is-not-enough
      (For Fans of: Lights & Motion, The Appleseed Cast, Explosions In The Sky, Moving Mountains, Last Lungs, etc…)

BornGamerRob
      Participant

If you are putting them both together and you’re dead set on it and you absolutely DON’T want to have them separate, then your best option is to have both tracks together, tempo mapped together and charted together. However, if you’re going to regret it, do them separate and then you’ll have to do the extra work of then putting them together and adjusting tempo maps and notes and anything that doesn’t work right when you do.

But it does help they are both 140. That makes life a lot easier for whichever option you go with.

Good luck!

cleverest
        Participant

If you are putting them both together and you’re dead set on it and you absolutely DON’T want to have them separate, then your best option is to have both tracks together, tempo mapped together and charted together. However, if you’re going to regret it. Do them separate and then you’ll have to do the extra work of then putting them together and adjusting tempo maps and notes and anything that doesn’t work right when you do.

But it does help they are both 140. That makes life a lot easier for whichever option you go with.

Good luck!

Thanks! cool I’ll do them both together, if later I want to change it, I can hack the second song right off, that will make the 1st one easier to finish-up, cause it will be all completed up to that point, just have to adjust markers and such….the second song will be harder to preserve alone this way, but I’ll tackle that later if it comes to it…I just think combining two finished songs would be even harder….unless there is some special tool for that.

cleverest
          Participant

Any idea how to handle EVENTS for settings up markers in practice session…two songs with two sections of the versus, chorus, etc..do I just clone each part and move them accordingly?

Shroud
            Participant

At my current skill level, I would find it a lot easier to chart them together, and then split them in 2 files rather than trying to paste 2 separate CONs together.

cleverest
              Participant

At my current skill level, I would find it a lot easier to chart them together, and then split them in 2 files rather than trying to paste 2 separate CONs together.

Agreed. I am doing that…finished tempo mapping, but not sure how to hand the parts in EVENTS for practice mode….across two songs I mean…

BornGamerRob
                Participant

if you’re treating it like one song, just keep things in succession. verse 6, chorus 6 etc.

i don’t think it matters THAT much, just as long as you have practice markers down that are a reference point for those wanting to practice the song.

you could also use verse 1, 2, 3; chorus 1, 2, 3 for the first song, then use the alphas for the next song 1a, 2a, 3a; chorus 1a, 2a, 3a. and then if you had a third song (lol), you would use the b’s for that one. see where i’m going? anyway, couple options for you.

if you have access to the one HMX put together, you might want to check out how they did it. they did at one time on the RBN have a few of their songs spliced together into one, but i cannot for the life of me remember what it was or i’d point you to it. maybe someone on the forum remembers.

cleverest
                  Participant

if you’re treating it like one song, just keep things in succession. verse 6, chorus 6 etc.

i don’t think it matters THAT much, just as long as you have practice markers down that are a reference point for those wanting to practice the song.

you could also use verse 1, 2, 3; chorus 1, 2, 3 for the first song, then use the alphas for the next song 1a, 2a, 3a; chorus 1a, 2a, 3a. and then if you had a third song (lol), you would use the b’s for that one. see where i’m going? anyway, couple options for you.

if you have access to the one HMX put together, you might want to check out how they did it. they did at one time on the RBN have a few of their songs spliced together into one, but i cannot for the life of me remember what it was or i’d point you to it. maybe someone on the forum remembers.

That makes sense, I’ll probably do partsA and partsB accordingly for each track, makes sense.

BornGamerRob
                    Participant

Found it! It was called the “Rock Band Network Megamix 01”. Unfortunately not one of the videos shows the practice sections and I do not own this song (I don’t believe it was ever released for PlayStation players like myself), but I know some do here. Maybe they’ll show up and let us know how HMX did those sections just for shiggles at this point.

cleverest
                      Participant

Found it! It was called the “Rock Band Network Megamix 01”. Unfortunately not one of the videos shows the practice sections and I do not own this song (I don’t believe it was ever released for PlayStation players like myself), but I know some do here. Maybe they’ll show up and let us know how HMX did those sections just for shiggles at this point.

That would be cool.

For now I just went with the sectionsA for the first song and all SectonsB for the new song, and had to create a bunch of new ones, but it seems to work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Back to top button