RBHP on PS3 – note/howtos/troubleshooting

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    grubextrapolate
    Participant
      Also, I missed this before, but to clarify: it’s not there, because if it WAS there, it would need to have notes in it, because if it didn’t (which is almost always the case for submitted charts — people generally don’t bother with LH animations since animations don’t work right anyway with this method), it would crash the game like an ’empty’ HARM3 or any other empty track.

got it. so it’s totally expected to have double easy and no left anim, but anytime we see an “empty” track it’s an error.

regarding highwaystar – just checked the newest archive (141212) and it still looks like all three mid files still have the empty third harmony track.

I scanned through the rest of the midi files and the only other one i found with empty tracks was the RBN pro drum upgrade for The Myriad Burial – Death Quota for Purification. it looks a bit wonky… two drum parts, two vocal parts (one empty, one not) and three empty harmony tracks.

UGC_5002265_plus.mid has 14 tracks
      track 0 name: UGC_5002265_plus
      track 1 name: PART DRUMS
      track 2 name: PART VOCALS
      Warning: track 2 has no events!
      track 3 name: HARM1
      Warning: track 3 has no events!
      track 4 name: HARM2
      Warning: track 4 has no events!
      track 5 name: HARM3
      Warning: track 5 has no events!
      track 6 name: PART DRUMS
      track 7 name: PART BASS
      track 8 name: PART GUITAR
      track 9 name: PART VOCALS
      track 10 name: EVENTS
      track 11 name: VENUE
      track 12 name: BEAT - UGC [chan 1]
      track 13 name: BEAT - UGC [chan 7]

espher
      Participant
        got it. so it’s totally expected to have double easy and no left anim, but anytime we see an “empty” track it’s an error.

Correct. If someone has LH anims, I will include it, but if it’s there and blank, that’s a problem.

regarding highwaystar – just checked the newest archive (141212) and it still looks like all three mid files still have the empty third harmony track.

Just double-checked my folder — the harmonies-only one did, but the other two were fine, so I’ve fixed that and will re-upload the archive. Possible I forgot to upload it after tweaking the charts, too — it was late!

I scanned through the rest of the midi files and the only other one i found with empty tracks was the RBN pro drum upgrade for The Myriad Burial – Death Quota for Purification. it looks a bit wonky… two drum parts, two vocal parts (one empty, one not) and three empty harmony tracks.

Will fix that up and upload it as well.

grubextrapolate
        Participant

Do we have any linux PS3 users in the house, or ambitious windows users who’d be willing to install perl and run some beta tests? I’ve got a pretty slick little perl script that i’ve been working on for the last week that can install harmony upgrades automatically in a single command – for one song or your entire song library. After a bunch of testing, I just let it loose on my PS3 and upgraded 780 songs in one command!

even if you’re not in the above category, I’ll work towards getting this working easily on windows (or converting it to something windows-y).

If you’re interested in testing it out, drop me a PM.

Grub, are you still active? If so, I offer you my sincerest thanks in working towards RBHP on PS3.

Any way you could post a link to your script, Grub?

grubextrapolate
          Participant

sorry, busy week + company means i haven’t been on the forum. got your PM, will drop you a line with some info shortly. thanks!

Kaktusdude
            Participant

I am still in the process to install the harmonies on my PS3 which is truly a labor of love. :airquote: However, my PS3 is showing signs of age and therefore I am in the process to build 2 back ups. One I have up an running successfully with the customs. My question is regarding the file structure where the harmonies live – each .dta file.

1. Can an expert answer the question: is the file structure the same so that I could potentially test copying and pasting my set of updated files with the updated harmonies dta files over? i.e. CCF0376 is Lego and CCF005B is Boston I know that is somewhat a loaded question as it could imply copying songs in general – which is not my intent. Seems the file structure without comparing side by side might be tied to how I purchased (packs vs songs, etc. ) and when…
              2. If indeed attempting to copy and overwrite is a dumb approach and the only way to update the second and third PS3s for for harmonies is the manual labor of love…so be it. Then also back to first question, does anyone have a reference list such as CCF0376 is Lego and CCF005B is Boston? If not, maybe as I work on it this time around that could be by contribution back to the community. It would speed things up – any tips or tricks welcomed here.

Thanks again to all you cats and kittens making this place happen!

I wrote a bash script to automate (some of) the RBHP process.

#!/bin/bash

find . -mindepth 2 -type f -name "upgrades.dta" -print0 | xargs -0 cat >> "upgrades-master.dta"
              find . -mindepth 2 -type f -regextype posix-egrep -regex '.*(mid)$' -print -exec mv {} . ;

Run it from whatever folder you want to get the upgrades from, and it’ll combine all the upgrades.dta files into upgrades-master.dta, and move all the *_plus.mid files into the folder you ran it in for easy conversion. You still have to manually move the songs.dta files, though.

grubextrapolate
              Participant

Samyaza reminded me that i never did get around to posting my perl script… so here we are!

it exists, it works (for me) and I use it often, but it comes with a bunch of caveats…

– tested on linux only… and it has dependencies on several other tools. i tried to make it path-agnostic, but i don’t know how great it’ll run from a windows machine.

– requires a PS3_DTA_LIST.csv file generated by letting the c3 tools crawl your ps3 to generate a list of songs+paths

– it worked for me, but might not work for you. i did a TON of testing before i let it loose on my PS3. in the end, i ended up using it to automatically apply all RBHP updates, and haven’t found an issue yet. i started doing incremental updates with it almost 3 years ago, and i believe it was 2 years ago that i did my first mass update of all RBHP that existed at that time, and a final round a year or so back once the project was “done”.

– it tries to be very cautious as it works, and makes backups of any existing file it modifies. the first time around it should create a .orig of your .dta files, intending to preserve a “golden master” if you ever need to get back. after that any updates will generate a foo.dta.timestamp version, so you can get back to a previous version… handy when something goes wrong.

of particular note – it has a –readonly option which is a VERY good idea to run the first time or two around. it’ll connect to and read from your ps3 and all the other files, but does NO write operations… great way to make sure your config is good and there’s no other problems.

– it also has several other features, some better tested than others. i actually use it to install all my customs these days. it relies on things being in the .rar format, but it’s pretty smart. probably good to have other beta testers, i just keep not getting back around to updating that thread. eventually i hope to remove windows entirely from my customs installation and get it converting CON files to PS3, but it’s not there yet…

https://github.com/g…olate/c3ps3tool

c3ps3tool.pl is the only file you strictly need. edit the first chunk of it to make path updates where needed (or use the corresponding command line option). if you run into issues, add the –log outputfile option to have it do some more verbose logging to a separate file and I can try to help you sort out what went wrong.

good luck, and let me know how it goes!

grubextrapolate
                Participant

as an addendum, Samyaza is fighting with my tool and i’m compiling a ‘howto’ as we go. so if you’re not in a hurry, you may want to wait a bit.

grubextrapolate
                  Participant

OK, i’ve checked in a couple sets of fixes in the last few days, and also added the start of a howto doc. check out the latest on github if you’re interested.

Wootex
                    Participant

Hi, this is a really cool project and I’m hopeful I can get it to work on my PS3, but I’m not having much luck so far.

I am trying to add keys to Bodhisattva by Steely Dan from Rock Band 2, the album art and difficulty in game shows it as having keys, but when I try to play it, it shows the animation of the band setting up but then the console goes black and freezes.

Here’s what I have done so far, please let me know what steps I am missing.

1 Created a folder called songs_upgrades and put it in HMX0756

2. Created a dta file called upgrades.dta using notepad in the songs_upgrades folder and copied in this text:

(bodhisattva (upgrade_version 1) (midi_file “songs_upgrades/bodhisattva_plus.mid”) (song_id 261) )

3. Ran the file “bodhisattva_plus.mid” through the PS3 converter on C3 tools and got “bodhisattva_plus.mid.edat” I put the new file in the songs_upgrades folder

4. Went into the folder HMX05F6 (where the rock band 2 songs are located) and opened the songs.dta file there. I pasted the following text over the Bodhisattva info and re saved the file.

; RB2 – 0000261 – Steely Dan – Bodhisattva

(bodhisattva
                      (name “Bodhisattva”)
                      (artist “Steely Dan”)
                      (master TRUE)
                      (song_id 261)
                      (song
                      (name “songs/bodhisattva/bodhisattva”)
                      (tracks
                      ((drum (0 1 2))
                      (bass (3))
                      (guitar (4 5))
                      (vocals (6 7))
                      (keys (8 9))
                      )
                      )
                      (pans (0.0 -1.0 1.0 0.0 -1.0 1.0 -1.0 1.0 -1.0 1.0))
                      (vols (0.0 -1.0 -1.0 -4.5 -5.0 -5.0 -3.0 -3.0 -4.0 -4.0))
                      (cores (-1 -1 -1 -1 1 1 -1 -1 -1 -1))
                      (drum_solo
                      (seqs (kick.cue snare.cue tom1.cue tom2.cue crash.cue))
                      )
                      (drum_freestyle
                      (seqs (kick.cue snare.cue hat.cue ride.cue crash.cue))
                      )
                      (hopo_threshold 250)
                      (vocal_parts 3)
                      )
                      (bank sfx/tambourine_bank.milo)
                      (anim_tempo kTempoMedium)
                      (song_scroll_speed 2300)
                      (preview 73300 97300)
                      (song_length 318181)
                      (solo (guitar vocal_percussion))
                      (rank
                      (drum 374)
                      (guitar 474)
                      (bass 424)
                      (vocals 148)
                      (keys 402)
                      (real_guitar 0)
                      (real_bass 0)
                      (real_keys 441)
                      (band 500)
                      )
                      (format 10)
                      (version 2)
                      (game_origin rb2)
                      (short_version 0)
                      (rating 2)
                      (genre classicrock)
                      (vocal_gender male)
                      (year_released 1973)
                      (album_art TRUE)
                      (album_name “Countdown to Ecstasy”)
                      (album_track_number 1)
                      ; Added from RB3 DTB
                      (extra_authoring )
                      ; Added RB3 scroll information
                      (vocal_tonic_note 7)
                      (song_tonality 0)
                      )
                      Like I said, the album art and difficulty in game shows it as having keys, but when I try to play it, it shows the animation of the band setting up but then the console goes black and freezes. I tried to change the upgrades.dta file to say (midi_file “songs_upgrades/bodhisattva_plus.mid.edat”) but that did not fix the problem.
                      Thanks for the help!

Using other upgrades than pro guitar on PS3 will be tricky. You will need to put the “songs_upggrades” folder in the same folder as the DLC itself, though here’s where the tricky part starts: the midi file for that upgrade will need to be re-encrypted using the k-license of that DLC, and not the k-license we usually use for custom songs. Encrypting the file is not done by renaming the file, you can do it in the C3 CON Tools’ PS3 converter with the “encrypt midi file” option somewhere in the drop down menus at the top of the converter. Be aware though that the converter will use the HMX0756 k-license and not the one you’re looking for.

You can still try using HMX0756 folder, as I’m not 100% sure it’s been a while, more like 99% sure, so do let us know if you confirmed this.

Pro guitar upgrades can be installed in any folders (including the one we are using for custom songs) so this does not apply to them. They will still need to be encrypted using the method mentioned above, though.

If you don’t know what edat files and k-licenses are, I suggest doing some research, learning the fundamentals of how a PS3 works is very usefull when doing this stuff.

Wootex
                      Participant

Thank you, that is helpful. Is there a place that lists the folder names for specific songs, or do I just need to blindly check 1 by 1?

It’s kinda hard to know fast.

The best way I’ve known is to use WebMAN (a PS3 plugin) and access the web page it generates from your computer, can’t remember the exact link but it showed you in real time all the edats that were unlocked, so you can look at that page and then load the song in the game, and you’ll see which edat file it unlocked.

Just be sure to read enough about PS3 encryption before going that route, it will not work with the current PS3 converter, that converter by default is only working for the HMX0756 folder. Each DLC folder uses its own encryption key.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Back to top button