[PS3] Customs not working due to multiple drums tracks

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Just a quick update on this issue.

Me and Rocker1999 did some more research on this today, and found the issue is related to the quality setting in C3 Magma. Further testing is needed, but we found that when Quality 3 (which is what RBN songs were compiled at), the issue stopped.

I wonder if it’s a bug in the edited version of oggenc C3 uses (I couldn’t find the source for it?) that can be fixed, or a random issue PS3 appears to have with higher quality.

If a song is unencrypted, it can now be fixed by recompiling in C3 Magma with the lower quality, sadly encrypted audio is still an issue as it can’t be recompiled without the original author, which is not an option in many cases.

I assume there’s no way to lower the quality of an encrypted file?

Shroud
    Participant

Just a quick update on this issue.

Me and Rocker1999 did some more research on this today, and found the issue is related to the quality setting in C3 Magma. Further testing is needed, but we found that when Quality 3 (which is what RBN songs were compiled at), the issue stopped.

I wonder if it’s a bug in the edited version of oggenc C3 uses (I couldn’t find the source for it?) that can be fixed, or a random issue PS3 appears to have with higher quality.

If a song is unencrypted, it can now be fixed by recompiling in C3 Magma with the lower quality, sadly encrypted audio is still an issue as it can’t be recompiled without the original author, which is not an option in many cases.

I assume there’s no way to lower the quality of an encrypted file?

Great job!!

I would imagine that to lower the quality requires to decode and re-encode the audio. If that’s the case, we would need something equivalent to an “inverse oggenc” (oggdec?), and even such thing could not be used on an encrypted audio, unless the program can decrypt and knows the proper encryption key. That is something that Magma knows, since it can encrypt, and IIRC also C3 CON Tools know. So my guess is that we would need an “oggdec” and changes to the Magma C3 or C3 CON Tools to temporarily decrypt the audio, decode it, re-encode it with Quality 3, and re-encrypt it. Obviously this requires to have their full un-redacted code, not the lite versions.

On the other hand… is it possible that at least Magma already can decode moggs? For example, the Audio Analyzer can display waveforms of an encrypted custom, so perhaps there is already an “oggdec” functionality in Magma?

Great job!!

I would imagine that to lower the quality requires to decode and re-encode the audio. If that’s the case, we would need something equivalent to an “inverse oggenc” (oggdec?), and even such thing could not be used on an encrypted audio, unless the program can decrypt and knows the proper encryption key. That is something that Magma knows, since it can encrypt, and IIRC also C3 CON Tools know. So my guess is that we would need an “oggdec” and changes to the Magma C3 or C3 CON Tools to temporarily decrypt the audio, decode it, re-encode it with Quality 3, and re-encrypt it. Obviously this requires to have their full un-redacted code, not the lite versions.

On the other hand… is it possible that at least Magma already can decode moggs? For example, the Audio Analyzer can display waveforms of an encrypted custom, so perhaps there is already an “oggdec” functionality in Magma?

C3 Magma can pull apart a unencrypted CON. If a song is unencrypted, drag it into C3 Magma, and follow the prompts to get the project file. From there you can rebuild it with quality level 3 and (as far as testing has showed so far), play it fine on PS3 with full drum stems after.

The issue starts to show when it comes to encrypted moggs. C3 Magma can’t handle them for obvious reasons, and I don’t expect it to.

I feel the only option for encrypted songs is get in contact with authors and hope they are around for updates, if an author can’t be reached… then I guess that song is unavailable for PS3 players…

Ideally a tool that could lower the quality without disturbing the encryption could be made, but I don’t know how realistic that is or if it’s even possible to be honest… this is out of my wheelhouse.

At the very least, I urge any authors to lower to quality 3 if you’re using full drum stems, that way your custom should work and the quality loss is not really noticable, after all, quality 3 was fine for RBN :shobon:

TrojanNemo
      Participant

Am I missing something, or isn’t this like the fourth time a “solution” has been found, only to then figure out that wasn’t “the” problem and only a problem with a handful of files?

The tools definitely have the ability to do what is being suggested, but it would not be pretty. A mogg is more than just a multichannel ogg file. It has special header stuff that only oggenc creates and we never figured out how to bypass oggenc or how to decompile it. So you would be forced to run the files through Magma again and recompile with a lower quality. Possible? Yes, but I can’t release the source code that would allow that to happen, for obvious reasons.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• I’m 99% sure this is the problem, based on mine and Rocker1999’s testing from earlier, songs that would lock up the PS3 instantly before are now fully playable and can be completed once rebuilt with QL3. At this point i’m willing to call it a solution, instead of speculation on what the issue could be as we had previously.

• The issue with calling it a “handful” of files, is we don’t know how far the problem actually goes, for example. Every GH track used multitrack drums,this means that any GH converts that used QL5 will be unplayable on PS3, which outside of GH2RB3, is the vast majority of them. There are also a bunch of customs that are an issue, with many authors unreachable.

• Shame to hear about the lack of source code. Is there no chance of a pre-compiled tool to allow this?

Hopefullly something can be worked out… I feel PS3 is pretty important to the future of customs, RPCS3 currently boots RB1/2 and has made it in game on RB3. PS3 has the greatest number of instruments available too, as at this point, it’s pretty much possible to use any guitar from any console through either hardware mods or adapters (I personally use a wired 360 guitar on my PS3), along with the general issues with 360 hardware (RROD for fat models, red dot for slim/bad DVD drives), and the system no longer needing to be modified for customs,

With 360 hardware failing more frequently, and instrument supplys starting to run out, I can see us reaching a point where PS3 is the way forward and hopefully every song that is playable on Xbox will be playable on PS3 by then.

Thanks for your time btw, and for the tools that have already helped us get this far.

(PS. Sorry if my messages aren’t clear or anything in advance… i’m pretty heavily medicated right now and I’m a little loopy…)

TrojanNemo
        Participant

There isn’t a lack of source code. I have the source code. I just can’t share it with anyone outside of C3 leadership because once it’s out, all encryption is out the window.

A tool could be made, sure. But i don’t have the time or interest and nobody in the C3 leadership has taken on the job of creating the next gen of tools.

Shroud
          Participant

There isn’t a lack of source code. I have the source code. I just can’t share it with anyone outside of C3 leadership because once it’s out, all encryption is out the window.

A tool could be made, sure. But i don’t have the time or interest and nobody in the C3 leadership has taken on the job of creating the next gen of tools.

Could the “tool” be a simple menu option in Magma to load a ready mogg, which would then be automatically decrypted, decoded, re-encoded at quality 3, and re-encrypted? Or does this carry the risk of making the unencrypted audio available to be snatched at some point?

You have shared the “lite” code of Magma, which obviously doesn’t include encryption and decryption functions (they are empty), but the rest is there.

So if WE design and add this new functionality to Magma “lite” (calling empty encryption functions), would you be available to merge it into the real Magma code (which has proper encryption functions) and recompile it? Or would someone else in the C3 elite group be capable of doing this merge & recompile of Magma?

TrojanNemo
            Participant

Maybe possible. But I still don’t have the time or motivation to work on this. I know it sounds petty but I put in my time for years and now I have two children, a full time career and other hobbies. I try to hang around the forums but that is not the same as wanting to get back in to start programming again and dedicating the kind of time that requires.

PikedPike
              Participant

Hey so I am a ps3 player and I have suffered through lots of things like this where the song just freezes.

I can confirm that Jump – Van Halen is actually fine, at least on my console.

But Money for Nothing seems to Crash at the end, which I am not sure if it is caused by the glitch being dicussed here, because it kinda loops the track for a second, but infinitely. This same issue I found on ‘I just can’t get Enough – Depeche Mode’ ‘Billie Jean – Michael Jackson’ ‘Mad World – Tears for Fears’ and ‘Careless Whisper – George Michael’. The reason I think this glitch is unrelated is that some of the songs are still single track.

Though I have found more songs that definitely seem to be caused by the same issue (I am not sure about the song’s listed above) But these would be ‘She Will Be Loved – Maroon 5’, ‘Slider – Koji Kondo’ and ‘Over My Head – The Fray’.

Also the songs ‘Hurts So Good – John Mellencamp’ and ‘Harder to Breathe – Maroon 5’ crash in the menu on the ps3, again not sure if this glitch is related, but these two tracks also have multi tracks.

Anyway I hope I have helped point out some, also I think I remember reading somewhere that you said that there might be a fix for this. I am not sure though but if there is, could you link me to that. Thanks

If you use Pro Keys 2 Hands, you a cheater, just saying

Shroud
                Participant

But Money for Nothing seems to Crash at the end, which I am not sure if it is caused by the glitch being dicussed here, because it kinda loops the track for a second, but infinitely. This same issue I found on ‘I just can’t get Enough – Depeche Mode’ ‘Billie Jean – Michael Jackson’ ‘Mad World – Tears for Fears’ and ‘Careless Whisper – George Michael’. The reason I think this glitch is unrelated is that some of the songs are still single track.

These suffer from the “loop ending” problem, which is unrelated.

The good news is that they can all be fixed. Money for Nothing and Mad World for example can be fixed in the PS3 converter. Check my other thread about it, with instructions on how to fix them.

Shroud
                  Participant

Just a small note that Ladyhawke – My Delirium has unencrypted audio, so it’s possible to re-compile it in Magma with QL3 to fix the crashing without even losing the multitrack audio.

Scott Sandwich
                    Participant

Thanks to everyone here for working to figure out exactly what the cause is and what can be done about it, since in many cases we can’t contact the original authors. I’m still hoping someone will create a simple solution, like with the loop ending fix in C3 CON Tools (which I understand, doesn’t fix all of them as of now, but that’s great that it fixes some).

If no one can do this, it seems unfeasible for PS3 players like myself to play a lot of great songs in RB3, like many (all?) of those fantastic GHtoRB3 songs. That would be a damn shame.

Meanwhile, I took the time to fix one such song, “Burning in the Skies” by Linkin Park, by getting the audio stems (from a phaseshift conversion, I think?), editing all the drum multitracks together, creating some new dry vox since the vox stem was all harmonies together, rebuilding the song in C3 Magma with the audio stems and the new single drum stem, and viola. Works like a charm in PS3 now. (I linked my fixed file in a comment on the song’s page, in case other PS3 users wanted it.)

Unfortunately, this process isn’t something I think anyone will want to do for all the songs that need fixing. So again, hopefully someone will take up the task of finding a way to quickly and easily convert drum stems when converting to PS3.

This process also won’t work with every songs. I’m pretty sure if the song is encrypted the converter will spit out a stereo file instead of stems for the phase shift version to protect the will of the author to not want to distribute stems. It still works, but you lose multi-tracks.

So it will work for some songs, but not all songs. For the encrypted songs the only real way I think is contacting the author.

Shroud
                      Participant

Thanks to everyone here for working to figure out exactly what the cause is and what can be done about it, since in many cases we can’t contact the original authors. I’m still hoping someone will create a simple solution, like with the loop ending fix in C3 CON Tools (which I understand, doesn’t fix all of them as of now, but that’s great that it fixes some).

If no one can do this, it seems unfeasible for PS3 players like myself to play a lot of great songs in RB3, like many (all?) of those fantastic GHtoRB3 songs. That would be a damn shame.

Meanwhile, I took the time to fix one such song, “Burning in the Skies” by Linkin Park, by getting the audio stems (from a phaseshift conversion, I think?), editing all the drum multitracks together, creating some new dry vox since the vox stem was all harmonies together, rebuilding the song in C3 Magma with the audio stems and the new single drum stem, and viola. Works like a charm in PS3 now. (I linked my fixed file in a comment on the song’s page, in case other PS3 users wanted it.)

Unfortunately, this process isn’t something I think anyone will want to do for all the songs that need fixing. So again, hopefully someone will take up the task of finding a way to quickly and easily convert drum stems when converting to PS3.

There are only very few songs which are unencrypted and therefore allow to extract multitracks.

But when you find such song, I believe they figured out that it is not even necessary to combine the drums stems together. It should be enough to rebuild the song in Magma using quality level 3 (instead of quality level 5). The difference is essentially undetectable in the game, and Harmonix themselves have always used quality level 3.

Anonymous

i dont have an idea for this…

Sent from my Galaxy5 using Customs Creators Collective mobile app

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Back to top button