Official blog post about exports (RB3 in Dec for $15, RBN MIGHT NOT BE DEAD)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

What game doesn’t ship with online in today’s age? If i did purchase RB4 i’d only get to experience full band gameplay once in every 6 weeks when my friend’s come round. If you have a family, a girlfriend/wife great you don’t need the rely on the online feature that much. I have always played Rock Band 2 and 3 online. If your someone like me who owns close to the 4200+ or so dlc that was released from day one, you’re going to feel very disappointed.

I wanna be able to play Veil Of Illumination and Ziltoid on RB4, js!

All the Devin Townsend tracks are awesome. Whoever charted the 1x bass for drums needs shooting lol

TrojanNemo
    Participant

What game doesn’t ship with online in today’s age?

Well, Fallout 4 is a great multi-million dollar game and it has zero online play.

Gigakoops
      Participant

What game doesn’t ship with online in today’s age?

Well, Fallout 4 is a great multi-million dollar game and it has zero online play.

Okay, but what about multiplayer games? Games that are meant to be played with multiple people, but lack an online component. Surely there’s something to that in this day and age. It’s one thing if it’s some offshoot, $1 indie game on Steam or a free game on a Flash game website, it’s another when it’s a full-cost console game based around multiplayer.

TrojanNemo
        Participant

I’m not going to do the research for you guys, but do Wii U Fit or Wii U Sports that can be played multiplayer locally have online multiplayer? What about multiplayer fighting games like the recent Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter? Or to take it even closer to home, Amplitude 2?

If you want to say that Rock Band 4 should have online multiplayer because it’s designed for local multiplayer, that’s just the same as saying Fallout 4 should have had online multiplayer. The game’s system lends itself well to a sort of MMORPG kind of thing.

Gigakoops
          Participant

I’m not going to do the research for you guys, but do Wii U Fit or Wii U Sports that can be played multiplayer locally have online multiplayer? What about multiplayer fighting games like the recent Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter? Or to take it even closer to home, Amplitude 2?

If you want to say that Rock Band 4 should have online multiplayer because it’s designed for local multiplayer, that’s just the same as saying Fallout 4 should have had online multiplayer. The game’s system lends itself well to a sort of MMORPG kind of thing.

I don’t know about the Wii games, but both Mortal Kombat X and Street Fighter V have online multiplayer. Neither of which really work well (or at least that beta for STV didn’t), but at least they tried. Also no, this isn’t like saying Fallout 4 should have multiplayer, because that game is built for single player play. Whereas Rock Band 4 out of the box has multiplayer, it’s just local and not online.

TrojanNemo
            Participant

But integrating multiplayer into Fallout 4 and Rock Band 4 would probably be just as difficult, if not more for RB4 since it needs a lot more precise timing. Neither game was designed with online multiplayer in mind. Don’t discount that simply because RB4 has local multiplayer.

Gigakoops
              Participant

But integrating multiplayer into Fallout 4 and Rock Band 4 would probably be just as difficult, if not more for RB4 since it needs a lot more precise timing. Neither game was designed with online multiplayer in mind. Don’t discount that simply because RB4 has local multiplayer.

No, but it should have been. Harmonix should have known that people would be upset at the lack of online multiplayer, and should have focused their multiplayer game to have online multiplayer. If this meant delaying the game, then so be it; I’m of the opinion that they maybe should have delayed it anyways, due to the sorry shape it shipped in (crashes, various glitches, etc.).

They say they’re considering it, so at least that’s a step in the right direction. Though don’t blame people for being a bit upset that features that were standard in past releases are now being tacked on after release. It’s okay for people to voice their distaste for things they feel are wrong.

TrojanNemo
                Participant

If this meant delaying the game, then so be it; I’m of the opinion that they maybe should have delayed it anyways,

I hope you realize that 1) a lot of people would disagree with you there and would prefer a bunch of other things before online multiplayer, myself included and 2) it’s fairly evident they rushed to release to beat GH:L and to make it to the holiday sales. Pushing later might have meant no game at all if they were as tight in their budget as it seems they were.

It’s easy to make decisions like “postpone the game!” or “add x and y I don’t care how much money or time it takes!” when you’re not the one having to run a business that has employees who rely on that business’s success to pay their bills.

naginalJJ
                  Participant

I never play online anyway so I honestly don’t care if RB4 gets online multiplayer or not

Gigakoops
                    Participant

I hope you realize that 1) a lot of people would disagree with you there and would prefer a bunch of other things before online multiplayer, myself included and 2) it’s fairly evident they rushed to release to beat GH:L and to make it to the holiday sales. Pushing later might have meant no game at all if they were as tight in their budget as it seems they were.

It’s easy to make decisions like “postpone the game!” or “add x and y I don’t care how much money or time it takes!” when you’re not the one having to run a business that has employees who rely on that business’s success to pay their bills.

I realize there are those who would disagree with me, and that is fine. Yes, there are a lot of other things that are also important for the game, and what should be focussed on more than the other is a complex issue. I’m just stating my opinions, I’m not trying to make it seem like I’m attacking anyone else, and I apologize if that’s how it came off.

Though my opinion that they should have delayed still stands. They could have released in December and still made the Christmas sales, for example. Even if it wouldn’t mean online multiplayer, or any of the numerous features that aren’t in the game, it would more than likely mean some of the bigger bugs would be worked out. Also, releasing in December could actually give it a boost in advertising, as retailers could make a display or advertisement saying it’s released “just in time for the holidays!” That could attract people who are looking for a gaming-related gift to buy, and see this brand new thing. I realize it’s a bit of a stretch, but honestly, I can see it happening.

Farottone
                      Keymaster

I don’t think the “give your main competitor 2 months of headstart” argument would have flown in the CEO’s office. Also, private citizens can measure what they want to achieve by the time they set aside for it, but business measure it by budgets. Multiplayer is out because it costed more than what they projected to make out of it, that’s it. Taking 2 more months would have meant spending more than they allocated. I understand it can be tempting to think like that but a business needs to make a profit and the market is free to judge the products. RB4 has been successful for Harmonix, according to them (hence the long term upgrades path), so they probably made the right choices. There’s nothing a business HAS to do, outside of regulations: however, it’s up to the consumers to rejects products if they don’t like them.

MFX
                        Participant

My “online multiplayer experience” consisted of trying to hook up with randoms with a decent amount of DLC overlap and hoping they don’t drop out (or start spewing bigotry, racism, and misogyny). I guess it’s all well and good if you have a crew of talented regulars, but you might imagine how well it went in my case. I probably didn’t even try it past RB2.

I did bassvox my way through the “Moving Pictures” album upon release with a friend of a friend who drummed, but that was pretty much the pinnacle of online for me.

A success story, you might think, but I did the same thing with one of my local friends a few weeks later. It really served to underscore the value of interacting in a musical context with people you can see and hear in real-time. Also, same local friend ran Rock Band nights in a local bar. That was fun.

I think online pales in comparison and don’t miss it. But all I can speak to is my own personal experience.

Sid Kafizz
                          Participant

You gotta know how to find the right online players! Facebook isn’t the greatest thing in the world, but I’ve found plenty of fun and DLC-loaded people to play with. There are several groups that are worth checking out, from casuals to the insanely talented, top of the leaderboards types. I never did much like the randoms – most of them only wanted to play “Timmy” and A7x.

MissingElements
                            Participant

I really hope they allow the RBN songs on there. The best songs, in my opinion, were on RBN and I’ve bought a bunch of them, like Halcyon Way, Ghost Brigade, Amberian Dawn, Blackguard, etc., and it’d be just so great to play those songs on Rock Band 4. Really wish they would’ve kept keys. It makes me mad how they kept harmonies and ridded of keys, because I’ve never had a successful time using harmonies with other players even. But either way, that’s something completely different. Excited about the possibility of RBN, and hopefully previous Rock Band (1, 2, AC/DC Live, Lego, etc.) export packs will come too.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Back to top button