[How-To] RBHP for Wii

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    StackOverflow0x
    Participant

Wii users have enjoyed support for RBHP for over a year now. The process is still much the same as the general guide(which is due for an update soon). This guide will try to go over it with a few changes that should make the process a bit simpler.

Download
      You can always find the latest archive on the RBHP spreadsheet. I maintain this, so please let me know if there is a problem with some of the upgrades.

Here is what it should typically look like.

You should also create a folder named sZAE, to keep all this together. Unpack the new RBHP packing tools in there. This has to be separate from the sZFE generation used for packing customs. Don’t mix them up!

Here is what your RBHP packing environment should start to look like.

“Kryptonite” will come with this. As it is, it’s ready to build!

Applying Upgrades
      Let’s say you want to upgrade the song “Smooth Criminal”. You’ll find this in the DLC 2009 folder. You should see 3 files: a MIDI, a songs.dta, and an upgrades.dta file.

To add this on to the provided upgrade, first open the “spoof” folder. Find the songs.dta file. This file is necessary because the game reads it first and will ignore the same song’s dta file if it’s found later, ensuring an upgrade.

With both folders open, first open the songs.dta of the song you want to upgrade. Copy it all. Then open the one from the spoof folder. Go to the end (Ctrl+Shift+End), and paste it there. You don’t have to worry about updating the path data. You can fit as many dta files as you want, as long as it’s all under about 500 KB. That’s a couple dozen songs.

Now, go to the “upgrades” folder. Simply drag and copy over the midi in the same place you see the provided midi. Then, just like with the songs.dta file, open the upgrades.dta file of the song you want to upgrade, copy it all, then open the provided upgrades.dta file and paste it at the end. This time though, make sure the path is actually correct or the game will have no way of finding it or may show the wrong one in-game. It’s 003. You can fit many more upgrades inside this one folder. It all has to be under about 500 KB though. It’s roughly 10-15 upgrade midis.

Your files are done!

Building Your Upgrades
      If you are only building APP files, then you don’t have to worry about anything that involves wadpacker. For building BIN files, which is more common, make sure that the common-key file is not 0 and that the ng_id file is not 0. This should be done already if you’ve packed customs in the other guide. Run RB3WiiPackTool and then run the packdlc.bat file it created.
      You should have the BIN files you need! Put these on your SD card in the sZAE folder. If you are upgrading a song you have not downloaded before, downloading it after the game has read will allow you to play the upgrade right away!

Resetting The Cache
      Because your cache is saved after new songs are loaded, it won’t let you replace any previously loaded songs with the new songs.dta built this way. Resetting the cache is easy with WiiXplorer.

You can follow my short instructions on getting it set up and how to erase and or backup your cache this way.

With that done, boot the game and get to the main menu. All your content should load, but if it worked correctly, you should now be able to play your RBHP upgrades!

Special Cases
      Here’s a list of all Wii DLC I compiled. All songs under the “sZAE” generation are special cases. Trying to load the RBHP songs.dta through the spoof file won’t work in this content generation because oddly, the game prefers the real one every time.
      To meet this requirement, RBHP-upgraded sZAE songs come with a .app file pre-built with the upgrade (and even album art) baked in. All these files are completely self-contained to work with the actual song data you should have on your SD card already. Most sZAE songs should have these.

To use these, refer to the sZAE text file available in every download of the RBHP Wii package. This table tells you which APP file (right) corresponds to which BIN (left). You’ll need to pack these as BIN files by hand, for now. Copy the APP file to your sZAE packing folder. Run wadpacker with these arguments:

wadpacker BIN# 1

In this example, BIN# is 123. Then it should pack just the one file. Remember to copy this along with the automatically generated BINs.
      If I missed some, please let me know. It’s important that these stay up to date. If you don’t want to use the self-contained upgrades, you can still get them loaded with the standard upgrade files provided

30 Seconds to Mars’s “The Kill” is also a special case. This guide is overwriting its songs.dta file. If you have the song, it’s recommended you add the RBHP-provided songs.dta file into the spoof file. You won’t get album art or preview audio this way, but the song should be upgradable if you still include its upgrade midi properly.

All American Rejects’ “Move Along” will also be overwritten in this sample setup. But like the example above, you can add its songs.dta file to the spoof and the song should play fine.

Common Issues
      Even I keep running into some errors a lot. Here are some of them.

Songs don’t show playable Harmonies.
      This tends to happen when there is an issue in your spoof file. If there is a missing parentheses anywhere, it could break all the songs after it. Find out which songs aren’t upgrading and correct the issue. You’ll need to reset the cache.

Songs don’t show playable Keys.
      This could be similar to the problem above, but it could also be if I forgot to set the difficulty in the DTA. There’s an issue with copying this part over right now, so this should quickly become a non-issue.

Harmony part show wrong lyrics in-game.
      This is likely the result of not modifying the upgrades.dta path correctly. It must read like the one provided: dlc/sZAE/###/content/… With # being the BIN number of the folder it’s in.

Game freezes on loading screen.
      When this happens, it could be because the upgrade midi is no longer available. This can happen if the upgrades folder that its contained in gets erased somehow. For example, don’t mix spoof files with upgrades because the game automatically erases the spoof file and everything in it. This can also happen if the songs.dta file is improperly configured for the audio it’s trying to read – more commonly because a keys upgrade doesn’t have audio associated with the part.

Game freezes on menu screen.
      After the loading bar appears, the game will freeze at the file it was trying to load. This can happen when the DTA has a mistake such as a missing parenthesis. Go back and find the mistake. I think Notepad++ helps in finding the error.

Getting “Content cannot be restored” error.
      This is a broader error, but is referring to a problem with your system files. Based on the input from many users, this could happen because you don’t have your system IOSes updated. Follow the guide at WiiHacks more closely and make sure all the WAD files in Chapter 2 are installed and show up on your SysCheck. This is my SysCheckand it should match that for the most part (IOS223[38+37], IOS249 d2x, etc). This is necessary for allowing fakesigned content to load.

Content does not appear after loading.
      If even after loading and everything seems fine, content still isn’t showing up, it could just be some odd glitch Try resetting the cache and taking out some songs from the songs.dta file if you had done that. Check over it again in case of some other error. If you are still trying to load “Dani California” or “Black Hole Sun” without the dta file provided from the RBHP Wii pack, then this would also happen.

Anything else, please ask it here. I know it’s a bit more involved and we’re in need of more time-saving software, but once you get the hang of it, it’s not too bad. I could record another video of the process if that helps.

bbsrtrain
      Participant

Ok, Say I try to add Hitch a Ride to this for the upgrade. I take the song.dta for Hitch a Ride into the song.dta of the spoof folder. Then I take the upgrade.dta and do the same thing. The midi file goes into the folder with the Kryptonite midi that is provided and you change the destination of the upgrade one to the same destination as the song folder (say its 129 for Hitch A Ride in the song folder, you change the SZAE/000 to SZAE/129.) Then you pack them and it gives you a 001.bin and a 003.bin. and this should work in the game after you reset the cache? I’m just lost with the bin files it gives you. Shouldn’t you get the files of the original song, such as 129? I’m just trying to understand it more. Oh and how would you add songs like Welcome Home or Foreplay/Longtime if the weren’t transferable on the Wii?

StackOverflow0x
        Participant

Almost right.

The upgrade dta will always point to itself. It would have to be sZAE/003 for everything you add inside there.

Then you put those BIN files into your sZAE folder on your SD card. You’re not building the files for the song you’re upgrading for two reasons: files, plural, suggests you’re also building the actual audio data and midi file. We don’t distribute that. There’s no reason to either. This is only if you already have the song. Also, it would require you to have build folders for generations sZAE-sZFE which is a lot more difficult to manage. Fortunately faking the files like this already works.

RB1 songs on the other hand, you just have to have them somehow. There are no “official” Wii versions of those but the DTA here will be used to replace any you do find.

bbsrtrain
          Participant

Ok so once I get all of the songs that I want to do have I just have to go into the correct dta files with them. Since I have a lot of DLC and you can only put up to a certain amount of songs into the files how would I go about getting all of them upgraded since you’re only using the 001 & 003 bin files. Our would it just be best to pick and choose the ones I want to make it easier.

StackOverflow0x
            Participant

You’ll be able to fit a lot of them into 001 if my testing is correct. In actuality, you should be able to pack the upgrades in sZFE, like customs. But I find it easier to keep all RBHP stuff in sZAE separate from the other things. If you’re upgrading something else from sZAE anyways, you could pack in more DTAs in that for songs to upgrade. That works too.

Hey Stack its me again, I’m putting the bin files into the SD card on sZAE and I’m pretty sure the wii keeps deleting the files. It loads all the songs after resetting the cache and then freezes when I try to go pick a song. I then find out that the 001 and 003 bin files are gone from the sZAE when I try to read it on my computer.

StackOverflow0x
              Participant

You need to make a file for just the upgrades first. This can be anywhere, actually. It’s treated like a meta folder. The ones that go in 001 are the spoof DTA that tricks the game into reading the modified DTAs first. It will erase this file afterwards, but the changes will already be in the cache by the time this happens and it shouldn’t affect the playability of the song. If it’s freezing when you pick a song, it means the upgrades didn’t get cached. The same rules of meta files apply to these to. But if you already have the harmony parts showing up as playable, you might not even have to reset the cache. Try to fix the upgrades file.

SadoSnowy
                Participant

Alright, I’m 100% sure I’m doing this right, because ALL of my songs spoofed with harmonies work, expect for The Broken by Coheed and Cambria. It’s freezing on the loading screen. The weird part is that I got other songs spoofed inside the same BIN file, and those all work. PLUS, if I just remove The Broken’s (vocal_parts 3) line from that spoofed songs.dta file, it will obliviously works but disables the harmonies. It looked like the upgraded .mid was a possible problem in the past for XBOX users, but I’m curious if anyone else got The Broken to work or if it’s just broken. pun totally intended :}

espher
                  Participant

I’ll give the track’s midi another look when I start diving back into polishing/review (was waiting for the January/February update before I got back into playing through tracks and video recording and all of that).

SadoSnowy
                    Participant

Sounds good and cannot wait for the next update. Also, great work on the entire project. There were so many killer pre-RB3 songs that I bought that made every release of this project worthwhile.

This process looks to be a bit trickier than just working on custom songs. But am I right to assume, with harmonies being appropriated by HMX for RB4’s DLC legacy library, that harmony-upgraded songs are now the canonical version of the songs?

espher
                      Participant

This process looks to be a bit trickier than just working on custom songs. But am I right to assume, with harmonies being appropriated by HMX for RB4’s DLC legacy library, that harmony-upgraded songs are now the canonical version of the songs?

I’m still in an ongoing polishing process (mostly minor adjustments) to try and get things as close to perfect as possible, but, yes.

I have followed this guide exactly, but I still cannot get it to work. Would it be possible to post more pictures showing exactly what every step should look like? Maybe I’m doing something wrong but don’t know it.

Edit: I figured out what went wrong on my own. I do have a question, though. You say that you can only fit 15 or so upgrade MIDIs. I have many more songs than that I want to upgrade. How can I do this?

StackOverflow0x
                        Participant

You use another folder. The reason is because the upgrades still follow the same limitations as the meta folders in customs, which is about 500 Kb. You can pack these in any other content Gen like sZFE.

Peachfanclub
                          Participant

Found this. I still don’t get what you mean by:

Run wadpacker with these arguments:

wadpacker BIN# 1

In this example, BIN# is 123. Then it should pack just the one file. Remember to copy this along with the automatically generated BINs.
                            If I missed some, please let me know. It’s important that these stay up to date. If you don’t want to use the self-contained upgrades, you can still get them loaded with the standard upgrade files provided.

Am I to type this under the other wadpacker arguments in the packdlc.bat batch file? I’ve already copied the necessary .app files to my packer. So if I had a total of 3 of those .apps, would I type something like:

wadpacker BIN# 3

I like pop, I like soul, I like rock, but I never liked disco.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Back to top button