[How-To] Playing Customs on PS3

Viewing 15 posts - 1,246 through 1,260 (of 1,262 total)
  • Author
    Victor
    Participant

How do I merge songs? I followed the first tutorial in this thread but the option “Merge songs” is always grey.
      I converted the songs, put into Songs to Merge, but nothing seems to able the Merge songs option.

WeApOn
      Participant

Had to reimaged my HD. Have all my files saved from the directory with custom songs and songs.dta

However I am having trouble restoring a bunch of other DLC I originally had downloaded on the console. I believe those files may have been stored elsewhere, as they were not restored. Or perhaps I need to reactivate the files.

I still have the original PS3 with all the purchased content as well.

What’s my best method to restoring the other files that are missing?

Shroud
        Participant

You need to have a “songs.dta” file in the Merged Songs folder for the option to merge to become enabled.

If you’re starting from scratch, just create an empty text file there named “songs.dta”.

WeApOn
          Participant

If you’re starting from scratch, just create an empty text file there named “songs.dta”.

In my case, I’m trying to restore some old data. I had my Free Pack installed on my last PS3, but I lost all those songs. I do have all my customs though.

Problem is, when I enable the free pack, it overwrites the songs.dta with all my customs. Is there an easy way to combine the Free Pack songs with the songs.dta that I already have? Can I just copy/paste at the end of the songs.dta or is there some metadata that I would corrupt?

Marthinus
            Participant

Sorry but i am just going to skip through all this and ask, my rpcs3 does not have the BLUS30463 folder under the dev-hdd0>tgame extension meaning i do not have a songs.dta file also. Can i just create the extension or what? and where do i get a songs.dta file? Sorry, im new to all this so following some youtube tutorials and now im lost. Lol

Shroud
              Participant

Can I just copy/paste at the end of the songs.dta or is there some metadata that I would corrupt?

Yes, songs.dta is just a text file so you can copy-paste in it, just make sure you don’t miss any bracket or parsing will fail and the game won’t load any songs after the parsing error.

Shroud
                Participant

Can i just create the extension or what? and where do i get a songs.dta file? Sorry, im new to all this so following some youtube tutorials and now im lost. Lol

If you’re using an emulator I don’t know how to help.

In a real PS3 you have either one of the BLUS/BLER folder depending on the version of the game. If you don’t have the “songs” subfolder, just create it empty on the PS3. If you don’t have the “songs.dta” file, create it as an empty text file (but rename it from .txt to .dta) on your PC under the “Merged songs” folder of the C3 CON Tools program, which will then fill the songs.dta file with the data you need when you use it to convert custom songs to PS3.

xoxidine
                  Participant

I am trying this again after failed attempts previously. It’s been a long time so I want to be clear of the NEW new (new) process.

According to the post from the old c3 forum posted in this thread on June 11, 2019 at 8:05 pm, the instructions say to read the instructions from here:
                    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-ps3hen-the-great-ps3-hen-all-in-one-guide.24369/

But there look to be newer instructions here?
                    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/4-88-2-evilnat-cobra-8-3-custom-firmware-cfw-cex-released.32057/page-95#post-304386

I’m just trying to make my dusty PS3 slim play some custom RB3 songs that Harmonix will never release. My PS3 slip is on 4.84 and has HEN 3.0.1 and IRISMAN 4.84.5
                    What should be my new starting point? Last time I had issues, it was suggested I should uninstall HEN and IRISMAN and start over.

Shroud
                    Participant

I am trying this again after failed attempts previously. It’s been a long time so I want to be clear of the NEW new (new) process.

According to the post from the old c3 forum posted in this thread on June 11, 2019 at 8:05 pm, the instructions say to read the instructions from here:
                      https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-ps3hen-the-great-ps3-hen-all-in-one-guide.24369/

But there look to be newer instructions here?
                      https://www.psx-place.com/threads/4-88-2-evilnat-cobra-8-3-custom-firmware-cfw-cex-released.32057/page-95#post-304386

I’m just trying to make my dusty PS3 slim play some custom RB3 songs that Harmonix will never release. My PS3 slip is on 4.84 and has HEN 3.0.1 and IRISMAN 4.84.5
                      What should be my new starting point? Last time I had issues, it was suggested I should uninstall HEN and IRISMAN and start over.

I don’t know what issues you had, but I have also HEN 3.0.1 on 4.84 with Irisman and everything works fine, although not perfectly, as sometimes HEN can freeze when being enabled.

I haven’t had any need to update my PS3, but if you want to start over, it makes sense you upgrade to the latest supported firmware and use the latest version of HEN, just make sure you when at psx-place what are these versions. HEN is all very simple to install, safer than all other jailbreaking methods, and it does everything you need for playing RB3 customs. If that’s your only purpose, I wouldn’t even look into bigger hacks like whole custom firmware (which may or may not work at all on your slim depending on the model/serial number, some slims can use only HEN).

YougottaMove1999
                      Participant

I was looking thru the responses, and wanted to share my own headaches and “hope this helps you out.” The great thing about the PS3 is that you can
                        use just about any mic as long as you get a 3 prong mic cord to USB adaptor (like $5 ebay), the sound on just a $25 mic is insane. Cannot be beat and I highly recommend checking it out (hell order amazon and try them all out). That also being said, when adding songs you are going to want to add them in groups of 10, it sucks, it sucks. it sucks! But, if there is a problem with the song the ps3 will crash. I’ve done with adding like groups of 200 songs when starting out, and had to waste multiple afternoons tracking down a song(s) that are the problem. It is a classic – little time now, saves huge time later. Hope that helps you on your journey, and have a great time playing songs and inviting friends over, and having a blast. And if you create add the right Genre so road challenges are super fun for groups. Disco is not novelty.

What the world needs now...is more disco. And, let's ban percussion sections, does anyone like them? NO! Having a spot to enjoy the song, and more importantly, go drab a refill on your drink is wayyy better, without grunting into your mic (had to find the hard way main button works insanely better - not in manual). Plus, stop it with the crazy intense background, you can't read the lyrics. You know who you are, stop giving the kids seizures. not cool. Also, the Novelty genre should be abolished, and disco

Binty
                        Participant

I’ve managed to score an own-goal. Whilst trying to fix some songs that either froze when I hovered over them in the library or gave me the ‘Unable to Load Skipping’ message, I’ve somehow reached the point where my library won’t open. When I go to quickplay and choose songs it freezes before the library loads.

I was in the songs.dta file removing duplicated song info when it happened. I also tried using #2 encryption within C3Tools PS3 Converter with the CON files to see if that would help (iaw another thread).

Anyway, now I have the problem as stated. I have tried using the backup songs.dta file I had, I’ve tried removing all songs from the HMX0756/songs folder and starting again, I’ve tried having a blank songs/dta file and re-converting all the CONs I’ve got again to build from scratch but nothing has worked – freezes in the same place.

Is it possible I’ve stuffed up / removed another file somewhere in the BLES00986 directory? I notice user Shroud mentioned a ‘parsing error’ that sounded like it might cause a similar problem – does anyone else think so? I know enough to fiddle around (and get me in trouble clearly!) but all the fixes I’ve tried aren’t working. I haven’t tried cleaning out the HMX0756/songs folder and reinstalling the Free Pack… maybe that would reset it?

Anyway, before I reinstall it all (and lose achievements and fan numbers and my custom players etc…) I wanted to ask around to see if anyone had an idea. Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Shroud
                          Participant

Sounds like the situation is a bit messy now, but typically when the game gets stuck loading songs, and doesn’t reach the songs list, there’s indeed a problem with the “songs.dta” file.

I am not 100% sure but I think at that stage, the game only reads dta files, which means that whatever is wrong with files inside the “songs” folder, it should not yet cause problems.

What is disconcerting, is that even a previously working songs.dta doesn’t help. I would double check that you really used a previously working dta file. Otherwise try creating a progressively smaller songs.dta by removing songs at the end, or even a single-song dta file.

If you have an editor like Notepad++ you can search for “(” and count, then search for “)” and count, and see if they match in number. You can also analyse your dta file using the Setlist Manager in C3 CON Tools.

Binty
                            Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. You’re not wrong it’s both messy and disconcerting! I’ve gotten to the troubleshooting stage where I recreated a new (blank) songs.dta file and just tried adding songs into that and still nothing. Frustrating as anything. I think it’s definitely related to that file though as it will freeze anytime it tries to access the library (quickplay, road trip when it tries to take you to the library etc…). I think I’ll just have to try different things to get that damn file back into action!

Appreciate the thoughts.

Edit: I just cleared everything out and put on one song with its associated .dta file and it loaded. Then I merged another couple into that and it loaded. Hallelujah. So clearly there is/was an error in that songs.dta file. Not sure why my archived copy wasn’t working but at least I’ve got things back up and running. It’ll just be a matter of adding songs in to narrow down which one contains the error that seems to trip it out… There are certainly some that seem to not like PS3 conversions in my experience.

Anyway cheers.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Binty.
                              Shroud
                              Participant

Good. If you want,send me the songs.dta file that should have worked i.e. the “previous” and I can take a look.

Binty
                                Participant

Good. If you want,send me the songs.dta file that should have worked i.e. the “previous” and I can take a look.

I might take you up on that. I’ve narrowed it down to some specific songs that are causing it to crash. At the moment I’m just isolating those out and then my plan is to do exactly that myself. Thanks for the offer, I might be in touch!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,246 through 1,260 (of 1,262 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Back to top button