First Chart

Tagged: , ,

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    BornGamerRob
    Participant

Good to know thanks. After doing a first pass of the keys, I noticed that there are significant gaps where there is no synth, or I can’t really pretend that there is. Should these stay, or should I have the keys follow a slightly different melody in the track? Or are the keys even worth including?

A question authors ask themselves a lot. So philosophies will vary. However, I’m pretty pure about these things for the most part. If that is what the keys are, then that’s what they are. So, it’s perfectly fine to have those gaps where no synth is playing.

If; however, there are horns or other sounds on the track in those empty spaces, it’s perfectly fine to author those to keys. HOWEVER, I would NOT author any guitar or bass to that track in those spaces. Keep those tracks pure to be guitar and to be bass. I know there are two guitars on that song, but I’d even resist authoring the second guitar on keys unless you authored the ENTIRE second guitar on keys and then you wouldn’t have a synth track, you’d have a rhythm on keys track instead.

Thanks for the feedback. I have finished the keys and now I want to compile it into a con file. I have tried to do some reading on Magma, but the tutorial that TrojanNemo put out does not seem to be enough for me. It says I have an incorrect author ID (already contacted an admin about that after following an old thread) and have turned off the numerical option in Magma for now. I have given magma all the needed information (mute stereo tracks, a .wav all at the same bitrate) But it won’t compile, and simply freezes at “Starting…”. I tested the midi, and it is giving me errors about drum difficulty (to fix later) and 4 critical errors:
      ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART DRUMS): MIDI events at [92:4:120] after the end event at [92:4:000]

ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (BEAT): MIDI events at [92:4:120] after the end event at [92:4:000]
      ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (MIDI FILE): Could not find MIDI track authored for keys, possibly due to incorrect track name event
      ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART REAL_KEYS): Difficulty expert: No keyboard ranges
      I am not quite sure what to do here. If it is any help, I exported the midi as a multi-track midi and kept everything as default.

After a bit of digging, I figured out that I needed to change up the Event midi and Beat midi to allow the song to have notes past the default point. However, it still complains about not finding a track authored for keys, and that there are not given Real Key ranges:

ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (MIDI FILE): Could not find MIDI track authored for keys, possibly due to incorrect track name event
      ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART REAL_KEYS): Difficulty expert: No keyboard ranges

Also Fixed. Turns out sometime you just need to dig through other peoples problems for a bit till you find your answer.

Last Post for the day for me. I Finished compiling, played it a few times through (and fixed some bugs) and have now uploaded the CON file to my google drive.

Here is the link again

I am now attempting to chart lower difficulties. Do you guys have any suggestions? I tried using CAT for 5 lane reductions, but the button simply crashes the command window when I try to use it.

BornGamerRob
      Participant

After much pain with trying to get CAT to work, using various versions of Python and Reaper, I eventually gave up and decided to learn it at a later date. I have uploaded the next version of the song with manual reduction to my drive folder. Thanks for your help anyways, though I was not able to quite recreate the issue that was in the forum you sent.

I have taken my first swing at vocals. I have uploaded a video of about 30s of the song that I have done thus far (have not finished lyrics, except for non-pitched notes). I have also uploaded the reaper file. Feedback would be greatly appreciated before I continue. Here is the link again.

I have finally charted the vocals and overdrive sections. You can find the custom officially posted. Thanks again for all your help!

rokryno
        Participant

Can I just ask a question regarding your “PRO KEYS” midi track? Did you author using the exact same process as if it were normal keys? And does Magma know the difference between Pro and non-Pro files just based on the values and placement of midi notes? Or does the midi file need a unique format or type to be seen and treated as a pro track?

I did not author pro keys. Magma has a setting that will automatically generate pro keys based on regular keys, which will not be nearly as acurate as actually authoring them yourself. You can chart the pro keys in the same file you chart all of the other instruments in reaper

Shroud
          Participant

Can I just ask a question regarding your “PRO KEYS” midi track? Did you author using the exact same process as if it were normal keys? And does Magma know the difference between Pro and non-Pro files just based on the values and placement of midi notes? Or does the midi file need a unique format or type to be seen and treated as a pro track?

ProKeys are in their own separate midi tracks, one track per difficulty tier, plus 2 animation tracks. If you use C3 template you’ll see these tracks since the start.

Shroud
            Participant

I did not author pro keys. Magma has a setting that will automatically generate pro keys based on regular keys, which will not be nearly as acurate as actually authoring them yourself. You can chart the pro keys in the same file you chart all of the other instruments in reaper

I suggest not to do this.

Basic (5 lanes) keys are nearly useless. Maybe a beginner would want to use basic keys first rather than pro keys, but after a couple of songs would switch to pro. Basic keys were probably thrown into the game only for letting use the 5-buttons guitar controller to play the keys part, and maybe encourage the purchase of the keyboard controller. Or maybe just for symmetry, as in “all other instruments have basic and pro, keys is pro by default, let’s add a basic version”. Basic Keys don’t even exist as a controller of its own!

The reality is, those who have the keyboard controller or a midi keyboard + adapter, almost always play the pro version of the chart. If they see a custom with pro keys, they assume they are charted properly, not faked. I don’t know how Magma autogenerates them, but it doesn’t know the tonalities so I guess the results can’t even feature notes that are in tune with the song.

If you want to chart keys, the proper course of action is charting Expert ProKeys right, then use them as a basis for 5-lanes keys.

rokryno
              Participant

Thank you for your fast replies. Please let me know if i should start a new thread instead. I don’t want to trump someone elses topic.

I discovered the templates and it certainly makes things a lot easier. Out of the 3 provided templates in the package, the rBN2 template is the only one that has the pro keys section, but In all of the templates, none of the ProGuitar or ProBass midi tracks are included. i’m looking for documentation that can explain the following…

Can i just simply create a new track for each pro instrument and follow the naming convention for track (i.e. Part Real_Guitar)? or is there more required configuring of the pro instrument tracks?

What needs to be done for the “Pro Guitar Upgrade Package, and how do i implement it into magma?

also, I extracted a midi file from a Con RB3 file that actually has proGuitar included…I noticed that if i drag it into the track area of an open project, it adds all the instruments including pro Guitar. Then I delete the midi info so that i can add the correct notes in the editor. Would this be the easiest way to setup a Pro Guitar Track in my project? So does that alone give me a Pro Guitar Track?

What additionally do i need to create in order to get magma to to render a con file ready for rockband that includes pro instruments? I have already successfully made non-pro rockband 3 customs and they play fine.

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Back to top button