Clarification of What Customs are Allowed on Website Requested!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    gospeedgo11
    Participant

Hello,

I would like some clarification on the rules. I’ve read up on other posts but they don’t address my specific request.

On the infamous list here it says that the following is not allowed:

Customs of songs released as official content: Any user-made version of any song released for any Rock Band title, or announced as upcoming DLC (we pull these from the database and delete links from the forums as they are announced, do not re-post them)

Customs of official content with different charts: Including Keys-only versions of official Harmonix songs, or any other song download that includes audio assets or any authoring from official content, except for content the original artist signs off on (see “allowed things” below)

However, it also says that this is allowed:

Chart-only upgrades to official songs: User-made Keys or Pro G/B authoring for official content, as a MIDI or other package that does not include any official assets (the only official asset allowed is a tempo map inside a MIDI or RPP; this kind of thing is also case-by-case at our discretion)

I was entertaining the idea of creating Pro Bass, Pro Guitar, and Pro Keys for Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing. There is no doubt it is official content because it is on the store, but I need clarification on what is okay and not okay for songs like this because I don’t get into trouble and the rules seem to conflict with each other. I am aware of a live version recording of the song but that sounds more challenging to chart for these pro instruments.

Here is the main questions I have:

1. Is it allowed on the database if I recreate this song of the studio version (same as RB4 DLC version) completely from scratch (no borrowing from Harmonix)?

2. If it is allowed on the database, which instruments are allowed?

Again, not trying to break any rules here, but I think it is unfortunate that such a good song is no longer available to purchase for RB3.

Thank you.

rubydanger
      Participant

My understanding is unless the rb version is a re-recording, it is not allowed in the dB. But maybe an admin can clarify.

TheSheepQueen
        Participant

Also a (pro) keys upgrade of Don’t Stop Believing already exists, available here: https://github.com/FujiSkunk/rbhp/tree/master/Optional%20Upgrades/Keys/Rock%20Band%20DLC%202009

YoshiIsDaBomb
          Participant

For customs of songs released as official content, they’re only allowed if the official version of a song is a cover, live or re-recorded version of the song.

For example, the DLCs for “My Sharona” and “Cherry Bomb” use covers instead of the original recordings (probably due to licensing restrictions or poor quality master tracks at the time), so you are allowed to make a custom of the real version of the songs. The real version customs should have an “(Original Version)” amendment in the database so people know which is which.

Customs for songs that used a live version instead of the studio version are allowed as well. No amendment needed for the studio custom since the official live DLC puts the “(Live)” amendment in-game.

As for re-recordings, they are allowed but they are few customs. Maybe if the re-recording is similar to its’ original version (i.e. Collective Soul’s Shine), it’s probably not necessary. But if its easily distinguishable (like the Johnny Cash and Motorhead re-recordings), you could make it.

As for RB4 songs, no customs are allowed of them unless it’s a different version than the one in-game, like a live recording or a remix. Same applies for other official DLC. The DLC for Freewill and Rock This Town are not the original versions (Freewill DLC is a live recording & Rock This Town DLC is a re-recording), so a custom for their respective original version is more than welcome I suppose.

gospeedgo11
            Participant

Thank you for the information all, I am pretty embarrassed that the RBHP is new information to me, I will have to look into this more.

Joshwantsmaccas
              Participant

For customs of songs released as official content, they’re only allowed if the official version of a song is a cover, live or re-recorded version of the song.

For example, the DLCs for “My Sharona” and “Cherry Bomb” use covers instead of the original recordings (probably due to licensing restrictions or poor quality master tracks at the time), so you are allowed to make a custom of the real version of the songs. The real version customs should have an “(Original Version)” amendment in the database so people know which is which.

Customs for songs that used a live version instead of the studio version are allowed as well. No amendment needed for the studio custom since the official live DLC puts the “(Live)” amendment in-game.

As for re-recordings, they are allowed but they are few customs. Maybe if the re-recording is similar to its’ original version (i.e. Collective Soul’s Shine), it’s probably not necessary. But if its easily distinguishable (like the Johnny Cash and Motorhead re-recordings), you could make it.

As for RB4 songs, no customs are allowed of them unless it’s a different version than the one in-game, like a live recording or a remix. Same applies for other official DLC. The DLC for Freewill and Rock This Town are not the original versions (Freewill DLC is a live recording & Rock This Town DLC is a re-recording), so a custom for their respective original version is more than welcome I suppose.

since this is the case, then there is no reason my 2020 version of Perfect Weapon by Black Veil Brides got deleted, but it seems it did after someone commented on the video calling me a Rock Band Network bootlegger -.-

FujiSkunk
                Keymaster

since this is the case, then there is no reason my 2020 version of Perfect Weapon by Black Veil Brides got deleted, but it seems it did after someone commented on the video calling me a Rock Band Network bootlegger -.-

Was your version of “Perfect Weapon” a live version or rerecord? There was nothing in the DB entry that indicated it was either, so it was easy to assume it was the original recording.

lifeismusic5
                  Participant

Heres my question. While I know Im not a charter, what if someone charts a re-recording that sounds TOO similar to the original recording where there could be an issue? Ive yet to see it happen but I know some re-recordings like Goldfingers recent re-recording of the classic Superman, sounds very similar to the original that people were like, Wow you guys sound the same as you did before!, which is very true.

FujiSkunk
                    Keymaster

Heres my question. While I know Im not a charter, what if someone charts a re-recording that sounds TOO similar to the original recording where there could be an issue? Ive yet to see it happen but I know some re-recordings like Goldfingers recent re-recording of the classic Superman, sounds very similar to the original that people were like, Wow you guys sound the same as you did before!, which is very true.

Odds are it would be a case-by-case basic, but personally if I thought the recording sounded incredibly similar to an official release, I’d be very hesitant to use it. The general rule of thumb behind all these guidelines is, we do not want to give people reason not to buy official DLC, but at the same time we do want to encourage them to chart and play customs. A recording that is almost a carbon copy of the original might make players decide they don’t need the original. Obviously a live version or less-similar rerecord could do the same thing, but in that case we figure enough people will still want the original that we won’t steal any sales from Harmonix. It can be a fine line, to be sure.

Joshwantsmaccas
                      Participant

Sounded quite different as it was a 10 year newer rerecording. Maybe I should have written 2020 but the info was there in the description and the album title. Plus Knives and Pens is still up and was the same deal so that just confused me. Absolutely no reason for it, but I’ve contacted an admin. Just waiting in reply.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Back to top button