A singer’s thoughts on unpitched vocals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Farottone
    Keymaster

I’m all for pushing people to get better and I’m all for proper structuring. When I came up with Rhythm Versions I made it a point that for official C3 releases all songs had a proper version and a Rhythm Version, so that people didn’t download a song with no keys with guitar on the keys track without realizing it. Yes, it would be great that every song had proper vocals authored but not everybody can. Unpitched vocals is not a matter of laziness either (I don’t think you implied that anyway), the author does MORE work and not less, because they wouldn’t author vocals otherwise.

The way things are right now to me are the best they can be. When you download a song, you can immediately know whether it has vocals or not and you can skip it. You can even filter out by default all songs with unpitched vocals. And if you still want it so badly for the other instruments but can’t possibly add it to your list without knowing its vocals status, you can quickly edit the DTA. This way if you only want songs with proper vocals you exclude the other ones from the list; if you’re ok with unpitched you can have more songs with vocals authored for party purposes; if you want the song for other instruments you can get it and exclude vocals.

Problem is every single thing you wrote in the original post is centered on you without any regard for what other people want.

“it’s very aggravating when customs that should have pitched vocals are authored with unpitched”

“Since I want the song for other instruments as well, I don’t want to just not download it”

“It would make more sense to author it without any vocals, so at least I’d know which songs I don’t want to play as a vocalist”

This is all you. What about the people who actually want to just have a karaoke style part? What about the author who instead of not doing vocals goes the extra mile and times notes? You can’t be surprised people are not happy when you make something about you and you alone. It’s your prerogative to do so but don’t expect a lot of sympathy, you come off as kinda selfish.

It’s great that you have been helping out by pitching some songs but that is simply the solution right there: for any song you want pitched, pitch it. It’s not some sort of crazy notion, it’s what every single author does: we want to play some songs, we author them. I worked on songs starting from FoF charts and no matter how bad some of them were I was always greateful that somebody did some other part of the job for me, be it tempo mapping, a decent guitar chart, etc. I don’t understand why you don’t go “Awesome, this guy has already timed all notes, I only need to do the pitches and I can play this song.” I honestly never once thought to say “Dammit, FoF auhor from which I take my chart to do RB3 versions, why are you not quantizing your songs? It’s aggravating, it doesn’t make sense and you should do it”. Of course I see it if they are not quantized, of course it’s more work for me, of course if you ask me “are all FoF charts the same quality as C3 official releases” I will tell you that quantization is one of the differences for some songs, but I would never see it as something the original author needs to fix because it inconveniences me.

TrojanNemo
      Participant

Apparently, I was wrong and more needed to be said!

:brosius:

ManicPixieGirl
        Participant

Sorry GamerRob, it’s not an easy thing for some people to do. I have no fricken clue what a G or F sharp sounds like. What the hell is Eb? I dunno! The only way I’d ever be able to chart non talkies is if there is a split stem vocal to run through RealTune (which there is a 0% chance of that happening), or I get lucky on singsterr.com and someone charted vocals to an instrument and I just record the sound it plays and run that through RealTune instead. And even then, it’s a mess and I’m not sure I fixed it correctly and all the testing in the world isn’t going to help because I’m a terrible singer also. There is literally no way to know you do vocals right, unless you have guaranteed testers who know what they are doing. So…you know, it’s not as easy for some people as you might think.

funkydunkleman
          Participant

or I get lucky on singsterr.com and someone charted vocals to an instrument and I just record the sound it plays and run that through RealTune instead.

Also typing the name of the song you’re working on + midi or song + sheet music works sometimes too. That’s how I got the pitched vocals to every song I’ve ever released w/o help.

Farottone
            Keymaster

Apparently, I was wrong and more needed to be said!

:brosius:

My bad. :hocuspocus:

BornGamerRob
              Participant
                Problem is every single thing you wrote in the original post is centered on you without any regard for what other people want.

“it’s very aggravating when customs that should have pitched vocals are authored with unpitched”

“Since I want the song for other instruments as well, I don’t want to just not download it”

“It would make more sense to author it without any vocals, so at least I’d know which songs I don’t want to play as a vocalist”

This is all you. What about the people who actually want to just have a karaoke style part? What about the author who instead of not doing vocals goes the extra mile and times notes? You can’t be surprised people are not happy when you make something about you and you alone. It’s your prerogative to do so but don’t expect a lot of sympathy, you come off as kinda selfish.

Still at me huh? Even opened the thread back up so you can further pile on. Well, thank you for pointing out MY problem. Oh wait, that’s actually what I was referring to. Since I’m my point of reference, I thought I might actually express what I was thinking. That’s not a problem, that’s an opinion, got it?

For the record, I wasn’t saying people didn’t do a lot of work on these and that I didn’t appreciate it. At no point in time can you quote that here. I KNOW THE WORK THAT’S DONE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!! So stop putting more into it than is there.

People in this same thread have explained to me (without sarcasm, attacks, personal feelings, etc. etc.) that no one wants to bring up for some reason (I guess ’cause it doesn’t support YOUR POV (yes, your “selfish” POV)), that very thing you keep reiterating.

YES, I REALIZE NOW WHY THE TRACKS ARE UNPITCHED IN THE FILE AND I AGREE WITH IT. I’ve said that statement multiple times in this thread, yet, not a single acknowledgement of it or quote like you want to do with the OP. Just the same regurgitation of the original. Did I realize that at first? No. Do I now? Yes.

What more do you want from me C3??

Maybe give new people the benefit of the doubt without nuclear at every turn and we can further understand the methodologies that you all have been living for years. But go ahead and keep flinging crap at me, it’s your ways and I’m on your playground.

TrojanNemo
                Participant

Maybe give new people the benefit of the doubt without nuclear at every turn and we can further understand the methodologies that you all have been living for years.

Problem is, there’s been so many, so so many, people who come and just complain and don’t appreciate or respect others, that it’s kinda become a gut reaction. It’s not entirely your fault.

BornGamerRob
                  Participant

Sorry GamerRob, it’s not an easy thing for some people to do. I have no fricken clue what a G or F sharp sounds like. What the hell is Eb? I dunno! The only way I’d ever be able to chart non talkies is if there is a split stem vocal to run through RealTune (which there is a 0% chance of that happening), or I get lucky on singsterr.com and someone charted vocals to an instrument and I just record the sound it plays and run that through RealTune instead. And even then, it’s a mess and I’m not sure I fixed it correctly and all the testing in the world isn’t going to help because I’m a terrible singer also. There is literally know way to know you do vocals right, unless you have guaranteed testers who know what they are doing. So…you know, it’s not as easy for some people as you might think.

Understood. There is zero chance of me doing Pro Keys so I totally get where you’re coming from. I definitely never said it was easy, it is quite tricky sometimes, so I apologize if that’s the way it came off.

Farottone
                    Keymaster

Still at me huh? Even opened the thread back up so you can further pile on. Well, thank you for pointing out MY problem. Oh wait, that’s actually what I was referring to. Since I’m my point of reference, I thought I might actually express what I was thinking. That’s not a problem, that’s an opinion, got it?

For the record, I wasn’t saying people didn’t do a lot of work on these and that I didn’t appreciate it. At no point in time can you quote that here. I KNOW THE WORK THAT’S DONE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!! So stop putting more into it than is there.

People in this same thread have explained to me (without sarcasm, attacks, personal feelings, etc. etc.) that no one wants to bring up for some reason (I guess ’cause it doesn’t support YOUR POV (yes, your “selfish” POV)), that very thing you keep reiterating.

YES, I REALIZE NOW WHY THE TRACKS ARE UNPITCHED IN THE FILE AND I AGREE WITH IT. I’ve said that statement multiple times in this thread, yet, not a single acknowledgement of it or quote like you want to do with the OP. Just the same regurgitation of the original. Did I realize that at first? No. Do I now? Yes.

What more do you want from me C3??

Maybe give new people the benefit of the doubt without nuclear at every turn and we can further understand the methodologies that you all have been living for years. But go ahead and keep flinging crap at me, it’s your ways and I’m on your playground.

You genuinely need to calm down and it’s not a suggestion. I replied because you needed to be told you were addressing our community in the wrong way, stop acting like a victim because I pointed out a flaw in your behaviour. No one is “flinging crap” at you, or piling on, don’t be offended if people reply to you, live with the consequences of what you say. Tell people you’re aggravated that their free time is not good enough for you and you will bother people, it’s very easy to understand.

You could have asked “Guys, I noticed some authors are adding unpitched vocals, which doesn’t work for me. Do you know if there’s a way to mark those songs in game? Thanks!”. Instead you made it a point to come off as abrasive and entitled. Again, your prerogative to come off that way, but don’t act surprised if you’re told you acted selfish for wanting other people to have less content just because you want to own someone else’s work but tailored exactly to your specific needs.

BornGamerRob
                      Participant

Tell people you’re aggravated that their free time is not good enough for you and you will bother people, it’s very easy to understand.

It’s easy to understand if that’s what I said, but I did not. That’s how it was taken. If it seemed that way, it wasn’t my intent. My intent was to demonstrate an effect and not just simply throw it out like I have a need without any substantiation. I’ve tried showing that I understood that my initial thought was invalid due to the various reasons given throughout this thread, and that I didn’t realize everything that came with inclusion. But I can’t get that through. The concentration is still on selfishness and entitlement, in which I don’t have either in reality. But it is what it is at this point.

ManicPixieGirl
                        Participant

Also typing the name of the song you’re working on + midi or song + sheet music works sometimes too. That’s how I got the pitched vocals to every song I’ve ever released w/o help.

Does that cost money? And how does that work with + notes?

No; just search on google; there are various MIDI databases, and other similar format (like GP5, or actual JPG of the sheet)

Farottone
                          Keymaster

If you play back a MIDI, can you actually tell it’s on pitch or not? I’m asking because you said you’re not a very good singer and identifyng a pitch is a must, regardless of source,. If you can, great, MIDIs will cut your workload down to a quarter probably.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Back to top button