A singer’s thoughts on unpitched vocals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    BornGamerRob
    Participant

Like many of us, I play rock band using many different instruments; however, the one I’m best at is vocals (I’m 1,000 skill level on PS4 having sung over 400 songs – I can FC anything with practice). So it’s very aggravating when customs that should have pitched vocals are authored with unpitched. Since I want the song for other instruments as well, I don’t want to just not download it.

To put it in perspective, it’s like authoring a guitar track and having a green note play through the whole time, only breaking when you hear the guitar break. Imagine that on expert.

It would make more sense to author it without any vocals, so at least I’d know which songs I don’t want to play as a vocalist. As I can’t tell you how many times I’ve chosen a song (after having so many customs now) only to be met with unpitched vocals when starting to play. Having to back out of the song and then find another one, only to be met with the same thing again.

Curios on the communities thoughts…

RealCheese
      Participant

Authors are supposed to mark the song as unpitched when they upload..

Dash Riprock
        Participant

I’m mainly a singer as well, so when I ran into a custom that I wanted that also had un-pitched vocals, I resolved to learn how to pitch them myself. If you’re as capable as you suggest, then you should have the ear for it.

BornGamerRob
          Participant

Authors are supposed to mark the song as unpitched when they upload..

That doesn’t help in game once you have hundreds to choose from. Unless you are suggesting there is a way to tell in the game.

funkydunkleman
            Participant

So it’s very aggravating when customs that should have pitched vocals are authored with unpitched.

Tell me about it.

It would make more sense to author it without any vocals

A big reason why I add unpitched vox to my customs is so that they can still be played with 4+ people in a party setting.

My most popular unpitched, non-AC/DC custom is probably Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen.

Now if you were having a RB party with friends, and that song showed up, would you rather back out as the singer and sit aside needlessly singing along trying to remember the lyrics while GBD has fun? Or would you stay in the game, score some extra points, sing along to the lyrics? Maybe even freestyle or improvise some words if you want, and finish with 100%?

My goal with my customs is to make them as fun and accessible as I can for as many people as I can. I do not have the ability to properly pitch vocals, so I do the next best thing. If someone here comes along and says they would like to add pitches (which has happened numerous times) I always provide them with the relevant files to do so, and make sure to credit them where I can.

As I can’t tell you how many times I’ve chosen a song (after having so many customs now) only to be met with unpitched vocals when starting to play

I can’t speak for everyone, but I always make sure my unpitched songs are 0 tier vocals, and songs that include pitches are always at least tier 1. That should be a universal rule with customs.

BornGamerRob
              Participant

I’m mainly a singer as well, so when I ran into a custom that I wanted that also had un-pitched vocals, I resolved to learn how to pitch them myself. If you’re as capable as you suggest, then you should have the ear for it.

No idea what you’re suggesting. That I just sing the song pitched with unpitched vocals? If that’s the case, how is that a game per se? I could just karaoke at that point. I want to actually play the game. It’s like suggesting we make all guitar freestyle cause you’re skilled at playing the guitar and you know the chords.

naginalJJ
                Participant

I think you’re taking a party game a bit too seriously

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

RealCheese
                  Participant

No idea what you’re suggesting. That I just sing the song pitched with unpitched vocals? If that’s the case, how is that a game per se? I could just karaoke at that point. I want to actually play the game. It’s like suggesting we make all guitar freestyle cause you’re skilled at playing the guitar and you know the chords.

He’s saying you should learn how to author vocals yourself.. When I want to play a song and I download it from here and it wasn’t authored well, I fix it myself.

Honestly, you’re lucky there’s a place to go download customs at all.

MrPrezident

He’s suggesting you read a tutorial and teach yourself how to turn an unpitched custom into a pitched custom. You know, authoring. If you are as good a singer as you say then it should be very easy to figure out what the right pitches should be, and then actually CHART them and.. contribute something to the community, instead of taking.

Even easier than that would be recompiling those unpitched customs without a vocal track at all like you prefer. You can do this yourself, all the instructions are here.

Keeping the content Canadian since 2017!

SomeOldGuys: https://db.c3universe.com/songs/all/__user/someoldguys
                      MrPrezident: https://db.c3universe.com/songs/all/__user/MrPrezident

BornGamerRob
                      Participant

He’s saying you should learn how to author vocals yourself.. When I want to play a song and I download it from here and it wasn’t authored well, I fix it myself.

I have. But I can’t possibly author the amount of songs that are on here. My suggestion was just leave them off so a singer can tell which are pitched vocals without wasting time in menus. Playing on EASY and no fail will keep it a party game.

BornGamerRob
                        Participant

He’s suggesting you read a tutorial and teach yourself how to turn an unpitched custom into a pitched custom. You know, authoring. If you are as good a singer as you say then it should be very easy to figure out what the right pitches should be, and then actually CHART them and.. contribute something to the community, instead of taking.

No need to be personal. I have several authored songs that have pitched vocals. I have offered to pitch vocals and actually have for authors (who have not updated their songs by the way – so what should I do with that). Anyway, I guess you guys don’t see the point. It wasn’t a discussion about my authoring abilities (which I do just fine at), but the problem with not being able to tell which songs IN GAME are pitched. I sing. That’s my enjoyment. Just trying to work on a solution for that issue.

BornGamerRob
                          Participant

As I can’t tell you how many times I’ve chosen a song (after having so many customs now) only to be met with unpitched vocals when starting to play

I can’t speak for everyone, but I always make sure my unpitched songs are 0 tier vocals, and songs that include pitches are always at least tier 1. That should be a universal rule with customs.

This would be awesome if that were the rule. That’s all I was getting at.

I agree about unpitched vocals. I was looking through the database and found a song I really liked. I loaded it and played it and there were no pitches. I was very disappointed. But I have it on my list of updates to songs. I guess I personally think that it should be pitched or no vocals at all. Instead of leaving it unpitched, post it without vocals at all and ask someone who could check it out to provide pitched lyrics.

funkydunkleman
                            Participant

This would be awesome if that were the rule. That’s all I was getting at.

I still think it would be best though if you would stop being so lazy and just went and pitched every unpitched song that’s out there. Go on. Do it. /s

BornGamerRob
                              Participant

I still think it would be best though if you would stop being so lazy and just went and pitched every unpitched song that’s out there. Go on. Do it. /s

Ha! Right? Might have needed a few years head start on that…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Back to top button