YouTube’s Big Change

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    TrojanNemo
    Participant

Then you’re missing the point.

What some of us here have done is exponentially more time consuming and expensive that a lot of those people on YouTube who want to make money from what they do. We do what we do for the community, not for money. And since we don’t care about earning money for our efforts, the notion that “if they can’t make money they’ll stop producing content” just tells me that they don’t care about their followers/community in the first place.

So yes, if their motivation for making videos was money in the first place, then I suppose you’re right. No money = no videos. But from my point of view, who cares about those kinds of people? I care about people like us who do what they do for the love of it and for the benefit of others, not for money.

Anonymous
        I care about people like us who do what they do for the love of it and for the benefit of others, not for money.

I love this.

I don’t care if people make money using a service, but by signing up to that service in the first place they agreed to comply with whatever changes that service would make.

Farottone
        Keymaster

I don’t do this for money but I’m happy somebody can take revenue for what they do. A healthy market is what makes the economy grow. The concept of “free” being awesome for the whole society should be weighed against the amount of jobs lost in the magazines and newspaper business, or the constant trend in falling global revenues in the music business. Good for the people who can make money off their time.

Anonymous
            I don’t do this for money but I’m happy somebody can take revenue for what they do. A healthy market is what makes the economy grow. The concept of “free” being awesome for the whole society should be weighed against the amount of jobs lost in the magazines and newspaper business, or the constant trend in falling global revenues in the music business. Good for the people who can make money off their time.

I can also agree with this but to a point…

I don’t like seeing people making money off of certain specific things in a community… Well at least not FORCED money. I don’t mind asking for donations! One thing would be mods… Something that Minecraft modding community is famous doing is using all these adfly links just to earn money from people downloading their mods. I don’t support this mainly cause this harms the modding community and sometimes the actual modders themselves in the long run.

But, for example, if you are someone creating ye’ own music, then I don’t mind ye’ making money off of ye’ music. You know, just upload a video to Youtube of ye’ song and put a link in the description where a buyer can buy and download de’ song. Same thing if ye’ are creating animations? Put a preview or a simple animations on ye’ Youtube account and hope people are interested in enough to buy some of ye’ creations…

Really though… It all comes down to me listing what I’m oky with and what I’m not as there are few little exceptions. (Red VS Blue being one as they were literally accepted in by Microsoft).

I need a filter that turns all the brony speak into regular english.

While I enjoy watching someone play through a game occasionally and even stream sometimes myself, you really are not experiencing a game by just watching it. They are not movies, even the ones that try really hard to be movies, and it’s a bit absurd the number of people who feel fully qualified to criticize video games that they’ve only watched people play. Watching a video of a Rock Band song being played through is certainly informative, but I think we’d all agree it’s not at all equal to playing the chart and that goes for 98% of games. As with anything, there are exceptions and I’m glad you can find full playthroughs of most games out there, but it’s not some precious resource. Games are meant to be played.

Shockingly, gameplay videos pre-date getting paid by Youtube and there will always be people who just want to share the games they enjoy with others. However, I have no sympathy for obnoxious jackasses like pewdiepie who gets paid MILLIONS to spaz out like an idiot for his audience of 14 year olds. I was up at 4 or 5am every week for 2+ years putting out full band videos of the new DLC for no other reason than I wanted to let others see what they could expect and I loved playing Rock Band. I didn’t make any revenue despite having millions of views and thousands of subscribers (this was years ago before let’s play videos really exploded) and because our favourite game deals with licensed music it wouldn’t have even been possible to make money. When I see some of these guys complain that this is their full-time job and their livelihoods are at stake, that takes some nerve. Don’t expect me to give a shit.

Yes, I know I’m a curmudgeon. Don’t get me started on modern music.

espher
            Participant

I’m with this guy. ^

Some people do put out some entertaining content, but the return on time investment for people who ‘happen’ to make it is just ludicrous, and some of the people (like the aforementioned pewdiepie, TotalBiscuit, and that FIFA kid — name escapes me) are just detestable individuals as far as I’m concerned.

Complaining that they can’t monetize someone else’s content and that their livelihood is being affected is just hilarity to me. Do up your own stuff, and if it’s good, people will consume it. Make your $$$ through donations, merchandising and advertising/”selling out” if you have to, but don’t bitch to me that you can’t make money merely from talking over someone else’s content.

Especially since you know most of these pricks would (and several have) submit copyright violations for people using their content, for satire or otherwise.

In fear of going off-topic, what did TotalBuiscit do to warrant the label as a “detestable human being”? I don’t really follow him but the little I have seen didn’t seem awful by any means (at least not compared to PewDiePie and the likes)? Or am I mixing him with someone else with a similar name?

But yeah, if people are only doing it for the money and don’t care at all about their fans it’s hard to feel sorry for them when they lose their money. Modern Nostalgia Critic comes to mind.

espher
              Participant

There’s a certain level of smug douchebaggery that I can tolerate and he’s gone above and beyond it. His comments/stance/replies to people during the whole DRM debacle was my first exposure to him and I’ve seen nothing redeeming from him since.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Back to top button