“Weird Al” Yankovic pack – October 18th release

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 99 total)
  • Author

Would anybody be interested in making a special pack of Weird Al songs? I say special pack because Weird Al’s birthday is October 23rd (not on a Friday, I know.) and what could be a better way to say happy birthday to the king of parodies than to make a pack of Weird Al hits? I also know Weird Al is high in demand for Rock Band. I remember him being in the top 30 (I think) top requested artists in Rock Band World.

The songs I was thinking of are:

Eat It (I already have this converted from GHWT it just needs vocals and fixes to the guitar solo)

Gump (I have the converted from RB2 as well, just needs vocals)

Happy Birthday (maybe this one as well because if we would release this on his birthday, this song would be fitting)

Albuquerque (now that the 10 minute limit in magma is out of the way, this feels like a must if a Weird Al pack happens)

White and Nerdy (I also think this is a must)

Dare to Be Stupid (same as W&N)

Another One Rides the Bus (this would be a quickie to chart, just keyboard as accordion and vocals, and a constant bass drum)

I could also release I’ll Sue Ya as FtV.

Also if TrojanNemo is up for it, he could release Amish Paradise as FtV.

But yeah, this is just a suggestion. If anyone wants to do some Weird Al tracks for a special track, please reply!

pksage
    Keymaster

Fuck yes. This is the impetus I needed to bump Weird Al up my queue.

You almost certainly already know this, but make sure to do a thorough pass on Eat It and Gump for differences between the original songs and Weird Al’s versions. Sorry if you already have, it just pays to be careful.

First, discounting my personal preferences: Most of the RB target demographic grew up on Bad Hair Day, Running with Scissors, and Poodle Hat. We’ve got Bad Hair Day covered (Amish Paradise FtV, Gump “conversion”), but RwS probably needs The Saga Begins and Pretty Fly for a Rabbi — both of which could also be converted — and Poodle Hat certainly needs Hardware Store. There’s an existing custom for Hardware Store, but I have no idea how good it is. We should also totally include at least one polka medley; my vote would be “Polka Power!” from Running with Scissors. Do we need Smells Like Nirvana and Couch Potato?

My personal favorites include Your Horoscope for Today and Close but No Cigar. I really like both of these, but I might focus on something more famous or help on Albuquerque. Because holy shit, doing Albuquerque by yourself.

If it were up to me, a pack would look something like:

• Albuquerque
      • Amish Paradise
      • Dare to Be Stupid
      • Eat It
      • Gump
      • Hardware Store
      • Polka Power!
      • Pretty Fly for a Rabbi
      • The Saga Begins
      • White & Nerdy
      • Your Horoscope for Today

After thinking a little more, I’ll officially put myself in for Polka Power!, because it would be a damn shame if we did a pack without a polka medley. I’ll let you know later if I can commit to another track.

edit: hnnngggg “Polkarama!” is so good too, god dammit

ws54
      Participant

I won’t be participating in this pack, but I vote for Close but No Cigar and White & Nerdy.

espher
        Participant

I had released Hardware Store, but it would definitely need to be FtV’d if I was doing anything with it… however, Orange Harrison was already working on another take on it, so I’d wait and see what’s going on with his (it’s been a WIP since, well, forever, but I think it’s mostly done).

I might have another interested currently-not-in-C3 party. I’ll have to touch base with them and check.

Well pksage you’re not going to believe this but a while ago I was just fooling around with Weird Al tracks and wouldn’t you know, I already have Polka Power tempo mapped and charted on drums! If you want to start from there, I’ll gladly send you the chart. I didn’t mention a polka medley in the OP because there were a lot to choose from, but polka power is my favorite one, so lets do it. If we were to do Smells Like Nirvana, it could be converted as well.

pksage
          Keymaster
            I already have Polka Power tempo mapped and charted on drums! If you want to start from there, I’ll gladly send you the chart.

Yes, please! :swoon: Toss me a PM?

Sent pksage the PM. Just started on Another One Rides the Bus this morning. Already tempo mapped, just needs vocals, bass drum and keyboard. After that I’ll work on fixing Gump, Eat It, and I’ll Sue Ya.

Any chance of Angry White Boy Polka along with Polka Power? =P

Gigakoops
            Participant

If you want, I can supply some songs. I have a guitar chart for Albuquerque for Phase Shift, I could simply touch it up a tiny bit and add the other instruments. I also have a guitar chart for Hardware Store, though it does have some alt-charting that I can easily fix.

If you want, I can supply some songs. I have a guitar chart for Albuquerque for Phase Shift, I could simply touch it up a tiny bit and add the other instruments. I also have a guitar chart for Hardware Store, though it does have some alt-charting that I can easily fix.

I’m not sure what we want to do with Albuquerque yet, so we’ll see. I think espher is going to do a FtV of Hardware Store so we probably won’t need that chart. Thanks though.

pksage
              Keymaster

As much as future-me will hate past-me for doing this, I volunteer for vocals on Albuquerque. Assuming we’re doing it as a collab, anyway.

espher
                Participant
                  I’m not sure what we want to do with Albuquerque yet, so we’ll see. I think espher is going to do a FtV of Hardware Store so we probably won’t need that chart. Thanks though.

I likely will not be FtVing it as Orange Harrison’s port is pretty far along (farther than mine is now anyway), but he should hopefully have it r2o for this timeline.

OH — thoughts?

Gigakoops
                  Participant

I would say let’s do it. I mean, people want him, and a lot of his songs (even the parodies) would be a lot of fun on more than just vocals. I say these are must haves:

– Albuquerque (People want this one a lot. In fact, I’ve seen it put in more wishlists than any other Weird Al song)

– The Night Santa Went Crazy (I know it’s nowhere near Christmas, but dammit this would be fun! That, and we have “Mamma I’m Coming Home” by Ozzy Osbourne, so the verse riff is practically done for us)

– Everything You Know is Wrong (Mostly for vocals here, but the instruments don’t sound like they’d be all too shabby)

– Hardware Store (There’s already talk of it being charted, so why not?)

– Bohemian Polka (Yes, the polka version of Bohemian Rhapsody. Need I say more?)

– Any other one of his polka medleys

I tried to keep the parodies to a minimum here, for the sake of unique instrumental charts.

I’ll do drums on Albuquerque for sure. I was actually gonna save The Night Santa Went Crazy for a Christmas pack, but it’s up to you guys. I also was thinking of doing The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota as well, but I’m not sure yet. Do we need to have “Fat” in this pack? I feel like its one of his more known songs, but I don’t know.

Again, too busy to contribute, but can I put in a vote for Jerry Springer? Ever since we got One Week with Blitz I’ve wanted the Yankovic version in the game. Wouldn’t be too hard to convert from One Week I’d imagine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 99 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Back to top button