vox error

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

hopefully this can be answered quickly. I can build guitar, bass and drums fine but magma errors out on vocals with this error:

Project Compiler: Entering Phase 2 of 5…

MIDI Compiler: Starting…

ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART VOCALS): Vocal notes exist, but no vocal phrases found

MIDI Compiler: Done.

ERROR: Project Compiler: Midi compiler failed.

Build ended at 1:23 PM.

i’ve searched here and google but no success.

I’ve tried to redo everything vocally from scratch and even when I have no vocals or lyrics in I receive the same error. Any help appreciated.

Farottone
    Keymaster

I’ve tried to redo everything vocally from scratch and even when I have no vocals or lyrics in I receive the same error. Any help appreciated.

Not the best way to go about solving it though. Do you have your vocals phrase notes?

haha….i know but I failed to mention my other attempts at solving the issue.

as far as vocal phrase notes I have no clue what that means. I have the vocals laid out and have lyrics for all the notes I’ve created. BTW this is my first attempt at vocals. I’ve done guitar, drum and bass without issues but have avoided vocals because I know it’s going to drive me nuts.

EdTanguy
      Participant

above the vocal pitches, you must cover each phrase in a long note where it says vocal phrases for scoring, and they should be separated where people need breaks to breathe. In game, when a vocal phrase ends the little scoring thing will tell you how you did for that phrase… it’s all in the authoring docs

http://pksage.com/rbndocs/index.php?title=Main_Page

ws54
        Participant

Phrase Markers are midi note 105. Here’s a visual. It also shows the overdrive markers.

Phrase Markers are midi note 105. Here’s a visual. It also shows the overdrive markers.

About that visual, try and have it so the phrase markers never end or start in a place that would mean the border touches a note to avoid visual glitches

EdTanguy
          Participant

also aren’t the phrases meant to be as close as possible to a measure or at least of of the quarters? for like… sound or animations idk..

ws54
            Participant

This visual might not be the best general purpose example and was only meant to show the OP the concept he was asking about.

But to address the points made, it is not always practical to have every phrase marker end on 1/4 notes. This particular song has very few places where overdrive could be activated and so I removed as much excess as I could between phrase markers to give the player a better chance of activating. If that means the sound effect does not land on a beat then oh well.

This visual might not be the best general purpose example and was only meant to show the OP the concept he was asking about.

But to address the points made, it is not always practical to have every phrase marker end on 1/4 notes. This particular song has very few places where overdrive could be activated and so I removed as much excess as I could between phrase markers to give the player a better chance of activating. If that means the sound effect does not land on a beat then oh well.

That is not what I am talking about, I am talking about the phrase marker not touching the note as that may and will fuck up the lyrics in static vocals mode

ws54
              Participant

That is not what I am talking about, I am talking about the phrase marker not touching the note as that may and will fuck up the lyrics in static vocals mode

As I understand it, to avoid the problem you are referring to, the phrase marker must start at least slightly before the first note in the phrase (as it is in this image – even though it is difficult to see) but that the phrase marker can end at exactly the same time as the last note without problem. Now I could have it wrong, but that’s not what this discussion is all about. Someone wanted to know how to get started adding phrase markers and I was trying to help. I guess that is what I get for trying to help.

espher
                Participant
                  Now I could have it wrong, but that’s not what this discussion is all about. Someone wanted to know how to get started adding phrase markers and I was trying to help. I guess that is what I get for trying to help.

The discussion is about a vox error from a user who is unfamiliar with phrase markers.

You provided a visual example to go with a link that was provided in the thread.

Good, extremely valid advice was provided as an addendum to the image (advice that is also not contained in the docs, afaik).

I will provide another piece of advice: your phrase marker placement does not matter for OD activations in RB3, as the game automatically generates it based on empty space/idle time. Don’t worry about ‘culling’ enough empty space if you have two phrase markers that are ‘close’ — always, always, ALWAYS start phrase markers before the first note in a phrase and after the last note in a phrase (at least 1/128th, ideally 1/64th, and optimally on quarter notes), for two reasons: a) notes touching at the beginning mess up static vocals, as mentioned, and :cool: notes at the start/end of phrase markers in OD phrases will cause the ‘glow’ to expand over the phrase marker and it’s a minor nitpicky aesthetic thing that drives me crazy when it wasn’t necessary.

ws54
                  Participant

The part about “your phrase marker placement does not matter for OD activations in RB3, as the game automatically generates it based on empty space/idle time” is something I didn’t know. Thanks for that clarification.

thanks guys I never put in the phrase markers. much appreciated!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Back to top button