Vocal Pitch Analyzer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I found a very useful tool for charting vocals today, and I would like to share it with the community. Feel free to delete or update this thread if someone has a better program.

Quite simply, I found a vocal pitch analyzer. It takes something you record (such as you singing or whistling along to the song) and converts it to a waveform. Then, the program will show you what the letter of the note is (A, G#, G, etc.) The program is called Overtone Analyzer, and there are three versions (full, trial, and free). The free version has a 10 second recording limit, and the trial version lasts 30 days. Here is a self-hosted download of the free version (so you don’t have to enter your email for a download):

Overtone Analyzer Free

Here is a link to the software site, should you want more information:

Overtone Website

So far the only problem I have run into with the free version is that the play button will randomly stop functioning. Restarting the program fixes the issue, and I’m not sure whether this is a problem in the full version.

If you guys find this program useful but are struggling to use/understand it, please feel free to request a tutorial.

Farottone
    Keymaster

Use ReaTune and you have your MIDI track already in Reaper for free:

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/U … io_to_midi

I don’t think we’re on the same page on this one. The main purpose of this program is to help someone who can sing well, but can’t match the pitches to a specific note. For example, I can sing on tune and detect pitches, but I can’t determine what pitches correspond to what note letter. That’s what this program does. There is a small bar that you can drag up and down on the waveform and it will show you what letter that pitch corresponds to. I have already used it on one of my current projects, and I can say that it was pretty accurate.

What does ReaTune do as opposed to this program?

Farottone
      Keymaster

What does ReaTune do as opposed to this program?

It does what you need, it tells you the pitch of the sound you provide. And it writes that to a MIDI track if you want. You sing a note in the microphone and it tells you what note that is. You can sing the whole song and have ReaTune convert it to a MIDI track for editing. Or you can have the plugin translate and audio track (isolated vocals, in example) to MIDI.

Ok, so if this really does convert technically speaking dryvox into vocal notes, how can one download/access ReaTune?

Farottone
        Keymaster
          Ok, so if this really does convert technically speaking dryvox into vocal notes, how can one download/access ReaTune?

Reaper ships with the plug in, you don’t need to download it. To use it, follow the document I posted earlier. Keep in mind that audio to MIDI conversion is always sloppy, so you will need to do some heavy editing.

Does it function at all if you have a vocal track that has harmonies, ie nothing but two voices? Or will it just say it’s somewhere in the middle of the two or something.

Reaper ships with the plug in, you don’t need to download it. To use it, follow the document I posted earlier. Keep in mind that audio to MIDI conversion is always sloppy, so you will need to do some heavy editing.

Ok, so perhaps this program isn’t a bad backup since it gets almost all of the note pitches correct (assuming you sing on tune). It boils down to what you want to spend your time doing, charting notes or editing them.

Does it function at all if you have a vocal track that has harmonies, ie nothing but two voices? Or will it just say it’s somewhere in the middle of the two or something.

Assuming you are talking about Overtone, I have yet to test more than one audio source at once. Considering the human voice has thousands of frequencies in it (and it shows most of them) I figure it wouldn’t have a problem with two voices. I will check this tomorrow or whenever I have the time.

Farottone
          Keymaster

It will give you the main harmony. It also works for any other instrument obviously and it works even if the vocals aren’t separated, although obviously it will be less precise and it will depend on how much stuff is going on beside vocals.

Nyxyxylyth
            Participant

It will give you the main harmony. It also works for any other instrument obviously and it works even if the vocals aren’t separated, although obviously it will be less precise and it will depend on how much stuff is going on beside vocals.

Your mileage may vary – it doesn’t *always* give the main harmony. It just sorta picks one. And it often flops between them.

Farottone
              Keymaster

Your mileage may vary – it doesn’t *always* give the main harmony. It just sorta picks one. And it often flops between them.

Good to know, I always got the more promiment one but I haven’t examined a lot of those.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Back to top button