Trying to Tempo Map a 5/4 song but I need help / advice / prayers, lol

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    cleverest
    Participant

Having trouble finding the right points to mark….I’ve got a few markers in, more or less matching the BPM (within a couple BPM of what it is) and looking aligned with the drum notes, but then after that WHAM it’s all over the place with a 20-40 BPM swing…

I’m only used to tempo mapping in 4/4…I’ve set the Time markers to 5/4 of course…what else do I need to be trying to do with a 5/4 beat map? Anyone have experience with this time signature and how to best accomplish this?

Thank you.

Have you looked at DNPG’s post on advanced tempo mapping http://customscreators.com/index.php?/topic/17794-alternative-way-to-tempo-map/and RubyDanger’s video http://customscreators.com/index.php?/topic/19134-tempo-mapping-video-how-i-tempo-map/.

This is my preferred method to tempo map now because I can (more or less) pick the points that I want to tempo map (rather than being constrained by a time signature like 4/4 or 5/4).

I have a post on my blog also: https://rockbandcustomsblog.wordpress.com/2020/04/19/advanced-tempo-mapping/

You don’t have to use this method per se – you could just set your initial time signature to 1/4 for example and use that as a basis to tempo map and then go back and correct the time signature marker(s) to 5/4 or whatever else you need. You do need to have a tempo marker at the start of any measure where the time signature changes though.

cleverest
      Participant

thanks, I have been doing rubydanger’s method, I prefer it to the other one…but still having issues with 5/4 (not 4/4 though), I’m not sure – I would think the same process applies…I’ll have to play with it more I guess.

The same process applies. It’s a bit more tricky if there are tempo / time signature changes. Otherwise hopefully you’re able to just pick out kicks and snares on quarter notes?

hardcoredrummer
        Participant

could you import any dream theatre song into reaper and see how time signatures are done?

cleverest
          Participant

could you import any dream theatre song into reaper and see how time signatures are done?

In theory, yes if they weren’t encrypted when they are made…or I was approved to work on a collab…that won’t happen with me I imagine since drums are always done first as far as I know, and that’s all I know how to do….

cleverest
            Participant

Would anyone be willing to take my .RPP / Audio for the project and be willing to see what I’ve been able to tempo map (just a few markers) and help me by tempo mapping maybe a quarter of the song, so I can learn what you are doing…I can’t seem to get past where I am for some reason…

If anyone wouldn’t mind doing this to teach me, I promise it will pay back with more songs completed. :-) I believe this one stays 5/4 the whole song…as far as I know…it’s not some crazy metal/prog song either….

If your issue is with 5/4 itself*, then you can use the “T” instead of “Q” and it should work fine.

If that issue resides within the 5/4 such that downbeats lining up causing misalignment within the measure, then you’ll want to use a method similar to Ruby or myself where you can [more easily] subdivide measures. Otherwise, I’d assume the only way would be to use random smaller measures (ie, a 3/4 and 2/4 to make the 5/4 work), and then remove them after?

cleverest
              Participant

This is the Temp Mapping method I use (it says it’s yours in the description) and it’s been awesome for 4/4 songs anyways…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In4gyZlDdFw&list=PLepuzqOjUSS-vKMqUVvrsmvCXkFkbwCdM&index=2&t=123s

I set it up to work as per the script in that video but with my ~ key to lay down Markers….I can’t seem to figure out what to do with this song though…I got a few markers in and they are good, but then things go to sh$t and nothing works, BPM is all over the place….I’ll keep playing with it.

Send me the files and I’ll see if I map some of it.

cleverest
                Participant

Send me the files and I’ll see if I map some of it.

Bsbloom is looking first. Thanks, I’ll let you know if I still need help afterwards though!

cleverest
                  Participant

sorry everyone, it was fixed. Bsbloom helped me. It was actually in 5/4 – some of the info online was wrong about the song. It was slower BPM and 4/4…lesson learned!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Back to top button