Songs with a male and a female voice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    VreyIsGrey
    Participant

Songs that have a male voice are charted as male. Obviously. Songs that have a female voice are charted as female. Obviously. But these songs right here, which I’m planning to author:

• “Helpless” – Phillipa Soo
      • “You Don’t Know Me” – Ben Folds

have both a female and a male voice. How would I chart that? It’s probably incredibly obvious, but I would love to know how I would chart that.

Farottone
      Keymaster

How do you “chart as male” a song?

lmao…

whether it be female or male vocals doesnt matter just chart it like you would normally

spiralshadow123
        Participant

He probably means which gender should he select in Magma (and on this site when he uploads it).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

samjjones
          Participant

I don’t know, but scientific studies show that those male charts are guaranteed to smell a little worse and while they’ll cook, they’re not terribly interested in doing the dishes afterwards.

I think he’s either talking about what voice you prioritize charting on the PART VOCALS, or what character model you put for Vocal Gender in Magma.

If you are just talking about the Gender…. put whatever the lead should be in your opinion. That’s an arbitrary thing anyways. It’s only for who appears on the screen during the performance…. and that get’s throw out the window anyways if the user is doing a playlist since it only takes into account the first* song’s gender options.

If you are talking about what specifically to* chart, it depends on the situation.

For the PART VOCALS, no matter what…. if there is only 1 voice singing you chart that voice on PART VOCALS. If a guy and girl alternate lines during a chorus, the whole chorus is charted. Basically, assuming just 1 singer is singing…. they sing everything. It’s how harmonix did it in most cases. If there is a guy and girl singing different things at the same time….. you chart whatever one is more prominent, more accurate to the part of the song (verse/chorus/backing), or just whatever you feel.

HARM1/2/3 is where you make the decision. Technically speaking, HARMs aren’t supposed to actually be Voice A, Voice B, and Voice C like it may appear. Example, if a male sings Verse 1 and a female sings Verse 2…. technically speaking it shouldn’t be that male is charted to HARM1 and the female to HARM2. The purpose of the HARMS is for when there are multiple voices at the same time.

Thus, in that instance…. both would be charted to HARM1 the same as PART VOCALS.

However, I’ve known people who prefer to do like Male = HARM1, Female = HARM2, and Backing = HARM3. It’s not technically right, but I understand where they’re coming from and what they want to have. Separate people singing seperat parts similar to real life. At this point in C3…. use your discretion.

MrPrezident

^^^ what he said and if you want a real good example of how to do this correctly, just have a close look at Farottone’s “Elton John – Don’t Go Breakin’ my Heart (ft. Kiki Dee)” .

Keeping the content Canadian since 2017!

SomeOldGuys: https://db.c3universe.com/songs/all/__user/someoldguys
              MrPrezident: https://db.c3universe.com/songs/all/__user/MrPrezident

VreyIsGrey
              Participant

I don’t know, but scientific studies show that those male charts are guaranteed to smell a little worse and while they’ll cook, they’re not terribly interested in doing the dishes afterwards.

I cannot word anything correctly.

Anyways, thanks for the advice.

Bansheeflyer

There’s also “We Built This City” as an example but I can’t find a good video of the vocals.

StackOverflow0x
                  Participant

HARM1/2/3 is where you make the decision. Technically speaking, HARMs aren’t supposed to actually be Voice A, Voice B, and Voice C like it may appear. Example, if a male sings Verse 1 and a female sings Verse 2…. technically speaking it shouldn’t be that male is charted to HARM1 and the female to HARM2. The purpose of the HARMS is for when there are multiple voices at the same time.

Thus, in that instance…. both would be charted to HARM1 the same as PART VOCALS.

However, I’ve known people who prefer to do like Male = HARM1, Female = HARM2, and Backing = HARM3. It’s not technically right, but I understand where they’re coming from and what they want to have. Separate people singing seperat parts similar to real life. At this point in C3…. use your discretion.

Isn’t this how Harmonix did it though? I remember the Linkin Park tracks assigning HARM as Voices consistently and I went to check.

“Somewhere I Belong” opens with the voice that’s usually assigned to HARM2 in the other songs in the pack, but that’s not the point. Half the song is how it is in the screenshot, where HARM2 is basically the lead and HARM1 is the minor, overlapping part.

“Waiting For The End” starts with the first part on HARM2, but wouldn’t that mean it would have had to have been on HARM1 regardless? It’s also a consistent voice throughout.

Isn’t this how it’s supposed to be? Or am I understanding this incorrectly?

Farottone
                    Keymaster

Isn’t this how it’s supposed to be? Or am I understanding this incorrectly?

Assigning different voices to different harmonies is correct.

ws54
                      Participant

Assigning different voices to different harmonies is correct.

What would you do when there are there are three or more distinct leads? I haven’t run into this before:

I am working on a song that has four singers taking the lead. I’ve already put the primary male on HARM1, the primary female on HARM2. Then I put the secondary male and secondary female on HARM3 (they each sing one verse, plus harmony) What I don’t like about this is that when there are only two singers playing then significant parts of the song have players sitting idle. But when there are three singers playing it should be a lot of fun for everyone.

Farottone
                        Keymaster

What would you do when there are there are three or more distinct leads? I haven’t run into this before:

I am working on a song that has four singers taking the lead. I’ve already put the primary male on HARM1, the primary female on HARM2. Then I put the secondary male and secondary female on HARM3 (they each sing one verse, plus harmony) What I don’t like about this is that when there are only two singers playing then significant parts of the song have players sitting idle. But when there are three singers playing it should be a lot of fun for everyone.

I think it’s a matter of taste, honestly. I worked on probably one of the song with the most number of voices taking lead, Stars, and it’s all a judgment call. To be honest, I don’t think that’s an issue altogether: just try not to switch voices around, so whoever starts singing H1 should always sing the voice assigned to H1. For the rest the real hurdle comes when you have songs like The Beach Boys’ where you have 2 voices going back and forth and at least 2 voices doing harmonies that compounded sound like a distinct third voice. THAT to me is the case where compromise is necessary but bad, because the song when sung does not sound the same.

Also H1 does not mean male and H2 does not mean female, lead is where it’s at, but I think we already established that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Back to top button