Replacing PS3, is there a better platform to future-proof?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    WeApOn
    Participant

Hi,

I am rebuilding my PS3 and wanted to check in to see if there’s a better place I should store my customs. I’ve had the system for awhile and all my instruments are for PS3, as well as my collection of CDLC.

I was thinking about the aging hardware and the process to get customs working on the system and wondered if there is a better, perhaps “virtual” place to store them. I know RPCS3 has come a long way for example, and I could theoretically have a RB3 PC one day, assuming those peripherals can work through the PC.

Wanted to see if my efforts in rebuilding the PS3 were valid, or if there is a better platform I could move to.

Thanks for any opinions and ideas!

Kaktusdude
      Participant

I saw this about a month ago and was hoping to see some posts. I have the same dilemma, and my current recourse is to keep a couple PS3s ready on the shelf. I am fortunate that there is a local repair shop that I have successfully used to reflow when they get the yellow light of death. As I have a lot of official DLC, it is quite the chore I go through to build a new PS3. I download all of my DLC, then jailbreak, then install customs. I have theories on easier ways to accomplish, but I don’t get much time to play the game much less spend time learning new tech skills – HEN, Jailbreaking, etc. I know there is a lot of cool things you can do with jailbroken PS3, but I honestly treat mine like Rock Band appliances. Once they are working I only play rock band on them and never go online. Probably missing out on some fun but not worth risking the life expectancy of the PS3. IF there was a PC method to play it all with all instruments and mics running…I would be in.

FujiSkunk
        Keymaster

The XBox 360 remains the best platform overall for RB3 and customs (my mostly objective observation and slightly subjective opinion), but if you’re already entrenched in Playstationland, there’s no compelling reason to switch. Otherwise you’d have to buy more instruments, re-buy the same DLC, and reorganize your custom collection.

Unfortunately the only other option besides these consoles is to wait for PC emulators to get good enough. Dolphin is just about there for Wii games, and RPCS3 is inching steadily along for PS3 games. There is also the possibility that games like Clone Hero will evolve beyond being mere Guitar Hero clones and become more enticing for full-band play. Maybe even vocals! Time will tell, and hopefully it will be before the last PS3’s and XBox 360’s have kicked the bucket.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by FujiSkunk.
          T3HM3T4L
          Participant

I just wrote a bunch of text and then hit a wrong key, now it’s all gone. Oh well…

I started using RPCS3 because my PS3 heating up too quick. It works pretty damn well to play all things considered.

The positives:
            -Vocals, drums and guitar/bass work great
            -Can make the game run at a higher framerate, higher resolution
            -Adding new songs is easier and faster than having to transfer to PS3

The biggest gripes:
            -No Tilt Overdrive (forced to use select or wiping the GH neck touch strip)
            -No keyboard support yet (drums were added this year though, last month or so they also started adding DJ Hero controllers and the Eye Toy camera, it’ll come eventually)
            -Animations are even wonkier than on the original hardware
            -Officially bought DLC will act up because of the license checking

If there are any more questions, I’ll be glad to answer them.

BornGamerRob
            Participant

this is always on my mind as i know the reality of using consoles forever is unreasonable, so i appreciate the replies. i have an xbox 360 dedicated just to playing customs, but when the generation of rock band was at its peak i played solely on my ps3 (and now on the ps4 with RB4). so i have thousands of dlc that is only on my playstation consoles and i haven’t bothered doing the dance of converting customs to it so i can play them altogether (because the 360 was just so much easier to deal with especially when learning to chart). clone hero is okay, but the drums are different (and yes, no vocals) and they have different philosophies when it comes to customs, so i’d rather find software that can play the official rock band game on pc as it is. i’m also not above just having a stack of 360s so when one dies, i just start another. very similar to the poster above who uses a console like an appliance for rock band. that’s exactly how i use my 360 and my ps4 right now. =-)

Kaktusdude
              Participant

I finally dedicated the time to learn to install HEN, and I finally figured out how to export the DLC I paid for into the right format for easy installation later. All that to say I plan on buying PS3s when I see the right opportunity and store them on the shelf. Agree if I knew what I knew now I would have started on XBox. At least I got the Blu-Ray or HD DVD guess correct – lol.

YougottaMove1999
                Participant

^^^^^^^ This. it was a nightmare with the PS3 of having 1 song be bad, and then having to hunt that sucker down, but ever since doing it with Xbox360. Super easy. sure you lose out of using better mics, but the headache is gone, just baby the disc, and tighten the laser after like 7 years so you don’t have to replace the entire thing. Soooo, much easier.

What the world needs now...is more disco. And, let's ban percussion sections, does anyone like them? NO! Having a spot to enjoy the song, and more importantly, go drab a refill on your drink is wayyy better, without grunting into your mic (had to find the hard way main button works insanely better - not in manual). Plus, stop it with the crazy intense background, you can't read the lyrics. You know who you are, stop giving the kids seizures. not cool. Also, the Novelty genre should be abolished, and disco

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Back to top button