Renaming Con Files

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Derek
    Participant

Here’s an interesting one.

After accumulating ~550 tracks over the last several weeks, my USB was starting to look pretty cluttered with acronyms and underscores, and I’m not about that life. Not wanting to do anything drastic, I sampled a pool of 6-8 songs and changed the name of the Con files to “Artist, Song Title” and booted them up to see if they’d still appear (which they did) and if my scores would still be retained (which they were).

Thinking I had the green light, I went ahead and spent a good chunk of time renaming everything on my USB, and deciphering the few that I couldn’t make heads or tails of. Eager to see it all dialed in, I popped the USB back into the 360 like I normally do… and I’d say that about 80% of my customs are now missing.

What’s strange is that there’s no rhyme or reason why the 20% are still intact. I changed every single file name, and avoided special characters.

• Why are the ~110 songs still appearing?

• Has anyone successfully changed their file names without a third-party application?

• Do I need to do anything with my songcache file?

• Should I just revert every file back to its original name and live with it?

Any help or insight that anyone can provide would be great. For clarification, I’m running a 360 that’s not connected to Live and only has TU4; no TU5 or additional thumb drives involved.

Thanks for reading.

Spindoctor
      Participant

There’s a real neat tab in con tools called batch renamer, probably would have saved you a ton of renaming.

Derek
        Participant

There’s a real neat tab in con tools called batch renamer, probably would have saved you a ton of renaming.

I have no doubt. I’m on the Mac side of things and have looked into getting Con Tools before I even registered here on the boards, but I’ve been doing quite well for myself without the need for a virtual Windows boot. This is my first real snag. Short of redownloading everything to revert back to original names, I was hoping there’d be a solution or explanation at play here.

There’s a 42 character limit on the length of a filename, before it’s no longer recognized by your console, and not all characters are allowed. Avoid anything other than letters, numbers and simple punctuation marks.

Derek
          Participant

There’s a 42 character limit on the length of a filename, before it’s no longer recognized by your console, and not all characters are allowed. Avoid anything other than letters, numbers and simple punctuation marks.

You the real MVP. Thank you so much.

I think I changed one of the file names back to the original name, to see if it’d load, and it didn’t. I’ll play with it more tomorrow and get back to you. But the more I think about it, the more confident I am that many of those files fell under 42 characters.

Out of curiosity, are scores and stars / stats saved onto the HD, and linked to the song’s ID? I’ve completely removed tracks and re-added them onto the USB to find my scores and stats still intact. Not complaining in the least, just wondering how that worked specifically.

TrojanNemo
            Participant

Out of curiosity, are scores and stars / stats saved onto the HD, and linked to the song’s ID?

That depends. If you have a song with a proper unique ID, even if you rename the CON file or wipe the song cache the scores will stay as they are saved in your save game. Older customs that don’t have proper IDs are kept stored in the song cache only, so you’ll have that information as long as you don’t wipe the song cache.

Just a note to add, one file name being over the character limit will cause all files after it to not load either

Derek
              Participant

That’s really confusing, because Tool’s H. loads just fine but there’s a ton (below 42 characters), alphabetically on the USB, that aren’t loading either.

I have some ideas to fix it, later on today. I’ll follow up with any findings for anyone who encounters this in the future.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Back to top button