REAPER note audio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    EzloDQ
    Participant

I am creating a few drum warmup tracks that are custom patterns for me to practice. Very similar to the in game drum trainer but more specific to my needs. I have never authored anything before so forgive me if this has been asked before or is a very simple fix.

I used reaper 4.22 to create my patterns and I have them dialed in just the way I want. My only problem is that there is no audio. Everything I have watched is done from an imported audio track. Is there a way for me to set the notes to just make a generic sound when hit, just like the drum trainer, rather than relying on a backing track? Or could I create a backing track for the notes that are being hit?

I have downloaded the newest Magma and C3CONTools. I also have Audacity and of course REAPER. Is there any combination of these programs where I can accomplish this? Any feedback of guidance is appreciated!

FujiSkunk
      Keymaster

Hello!

The easiest thing would be to use silent audio. Most customs use a stereo mix without multitracks, so the individual instrument tracks have to be silent to convince the game they actually exist. In your came, you could make the background track silent as well.

Another idea would be to use a MIDI audio (VSTi) plug-in to actually create an audio track from your drum chart’s MIDI data. REAPER comes with a number of VSTI plug-ins out of the box, including one called ReaSynDr. It’s not the greatest virtual drum machine int he world, but it could be good enough to give you audio feedback while you’re playing. The challenge with ReaSynDr or any plug-in would be to configure your MIDI data and/or the plug-in to get the sound the way you want. Likely it would be easier to create a separate MIDI track, copy your chart to it, then rearrange that track as needed for audio rendering. Then, once you have your audio and it’s time to export your MIDI for Magma, be sure to mute that extra track so Magma doesn’t complain about unrecognizable MIDI data.

Good luck, whatever you choose!

EzloDQ
        Participant

Thank you, FujiSkunk, for the reply! I will give it a shot shortly and see what kind of results I can get!

EzloDQ
          Participant

Likely it would be easier to create a separate MIDI track, copy your chart to it, then rearrange that track as needed for audio rendering. Then, once you have your audio and it’s time to export your MIDI for Magma, be sure to mute that extra track so Magma doesn’t complain about unrecognizable MIDI data.

How would I go about doing this? I’m very new to this so I’m sorry if the answer is very easy. I’ve not had to opportunity to really dive into the ins and outs of everything quite yet. The plugin only has sound for the snare and ride, no kick. and they are not very good sounds lol.
            FujiSkunk
            Keymaster

Yeah, like I said, ReaSynDr isn’t the greatest drum machine in the world. I mentioned it in case all you needed was sound of any sort.

Easiest way to create a new track in REAPER is to highlight an existing track in the main window, then hit control-t. You can also duplicate an existing track by right-clicking on that existing track’s control panel and selecting “Duplicate tracks”. Duplicating the track will copy all your MIDI data to the new track, which you can then edit with abandon without fear of messing up the existing track. Otherwise in a fresh track you’d have to “Insert” a “New MIDI Item” using REAPER’s menu options, and then either copy everything over manually or start adding MIDI notes from scratch.

When exporting your MIDI for Magma, mute the new track by clicking the “M” button in the appropriate track’s control panel. Any muted tracks will not be included in the exported MIDI file, even when they have MIDI data. (The flip side of this of course is, make sure any tracks that need to be present for Magma are not muted. That’s bitten many authors before, me included.)

EzloDQ
              Participant

I ended up sorting out the audio. Followed all the instructions to export with sound, one muted, and exported MIDI. I imported all the files into Magma and setup everything the way I want and loaded all the files. I then hit the “Test” button just to see if everything was good to go. I have 3 errors that make no sense, that I may need help with.

ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART DRUMS): MIDI events at [24:1:120] after the end event at [24:1:000]
                ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (BEAT): MIDI events at [25:1:000] after the end event at [24:1:000]
                ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (EVENTS): music_end at [24:2:000] cannot come after end at [24:1:000]

I understand what the errors mean but the reference points are inaccurate.

[music_end] event is at 25:4:000

[end] event is at 26:1:000

My last drum MIDI event is at 25:1:000

My ONLY beat is a DOWNBEAT at 25:1:000

So adjusting my events to satisfy the errors, is troublesome. I hope I’m just missing some option and it is an easy fix.

hardcoredrummer
                Participant

Yeah, like I said, ReaSynDr isn’t the greatest drum machine in the world. I mentioned it in case all you needed was sound of any sort.

Easiest way to create a new track in REAPER is to highlight an existing track in the main window, then hit control-t. You can also duplicate an existing track by right-clicking on that existing track’s control panel and selecting “Duplicate tracks”. Duplicating the track will copy all your MIDI data to the new track, which you can then edit with abandon without fear of messing up the existing track. Otherwise in a fresh track you’d have to “Insert” a “New MIDI Item” using REAPER’s menu options, and then either copy everything over manually or start adding MIDI notes from scratch.

When exporting your MIDI for Magma, mute the new track by clicking the “M” button in the appropriate track’s control panel. Any muted tracks will not be included in the exported MIDI file, even when they have MIDI data. (The flip side of this of course is, make sure any tracks that need to be present for Magma are not muted. That’s bitten many authors before, me included.)

little more than just turning on ReaSynDr right? i did that and nothing i saw to assign notes to drums etc

EzloDQ
                  Participant

little more than just turning on ReaSynDr right? i did that and nothing i saw to assign notes to drums etc

I had to create my own drum audio with an online app “drumbit.app”. It is far from perfect but for my purposes, it did the job. I am just struggling pretty badly with my exporting of MIDI tracks into Magma. It appears that my [end] event does whatever it wants to. Compile errors tell me it is at 25:4:000 for example, when in reality it is at 27:1:000. So I move it to 30:1:000 to offset it, and Compile errors tell me its at 21:3:000. No reasoning as far as I can find, that is causing this. Next step is start a new project from scratch and see if the MIDI gets messed up with events as well.

With drumbit.app you do have to record audio and then when you import it, you have to line up the audio with the notes you made. It’s basically like charting anything else. the notes didn’t make any sound no matter what I did.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Back to top button