Question regarding tempo mapping from imported Rocksmith customs.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tl;dr: Are Rocksmith customs tempo maps as strict or completely different than what is used for Rock Band?

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to charting customs but have been playing Rock Band since 2008.

I spent most of yesterday watching the recommended tutorial videos and guides and getting all the programs needed for various things and I started charting vocals on a Dance Gavin Dance song.

I found a thread detailing how to transfer over Rocksmith custom charts that have vocals charted as talking with could get a decent start on a chart so I didn’t have to start from scratch.

I extracted the midi files for vocals and the audio file and then imported them into Reaper. I was unaware I would get a tempo map with this as well.

I spent a lot of time charting the vocals and didn’t notice any issues with the tempo map (maybe because vocals is 1/64th)

I started charting drums this morning and it just feels a little off. Some double bass parts sound faster that can be charted for 16th notes.

The songs average BPM according to a few sites is 183 and I noticed on the tempo map most is put as 140ish.(it does have sections of 180+)

Is it possible having the tempo that far off works for Rocksmith but not for Rock Band?

Thank you in advance and if I left anything out please let me know.

TheFrisk
    Participant

If we’re talking about Rocksmith Customs and not official songs, the quality in the tempo map will vary wildly depending on who’s authoring them. I’ve seen some that are spot on and others where no or minimal tempo mapping was done. It could just be the artists I’ve searched for and checked, but most I’ve come across fall into the latter of those groups and are literally just the gpro tabs from Ultimate Guitar converted to be played in Rocksmith, and most of those aren’t great.

You’re definitely right now that I’m getting to faster parts in the song.

I probably should have charted drums first for this reason, I was deceived by the amount of times there was a tempo marker but really I should have just listened to the drum rolls in parts first.

A couple parts have very clearly 180bpm snare rolls and the tempo map shows 140bpm.

A time consuming lesson, but any experience getting familiarized with the programs isn’t wasted.

yaniv297
      Keymaster

Yeah I once thought converting RS customs is a shortcut, but man most of their tempo maps sucks. I have no idea how those customs are playable in RS. Sadly there’s no escaping from doing those yourself – but once you get the hang of it it’s really quite easy and quick. The other option is simply charting only fixed-tempo songs (many recent songs were recorded on a click track).

I haven’t played Rocksmith customs before but I have played the game and I think the timing window for hitting notes on Rocksmith is really forgiving. I would imagine that’s why they’re able to be played.

Either that or there is no chart integrity on Rocksmith customs haha.

I don’t think starting out with a Dance Gavin Dance song was my best idea either. I’ll probably get some experience doing tempo maps with songs that are more consistently structured like you suggested.

jerrylive365
        Participant

When I first started out I realized quickly that the tempo map is the most important part of the song. Once you have that solid the rest of the song will fall in to place nicely as you chart the notes.

Multi-tracks are great for creating the tempo map as you can really nail the beat by using just the drum track. Provided you have a song with multi-tracks that is =)

I’ve only made about 10 customs so far but each one is still a learning process for me due to the diversity in the music. I find creating customs to be very fun and rewarding!

Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Back to top button