PS3 Customs for RB3

Tagged: , ,

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

So I was told that in order to have Customs I would need to jailbreak my PS3 so the files would be put into a certain folder but couldn’t I just take the HDD out and transfer it right onto the HDD without jailbreaking my PS3?

TrojanNemo
    Participant

So, are you saying, that you just came on the scene now and figured out an easier and better way than people who have been actively doing this for some 7-8 years? Damn…

Files on a PS3 HDD are encrypted to be read only by a specific PS3, in your case, only YOUR PS3, it wouldn’t work even in another PS3, you’d need to format it.

If your PS3 is a fairly old model (CECH-25xx or older) and you didn’t update to 4.83 (so is on 4.82 OFW or older) you can mod it using a USB drive and an internet connection. If you don’t want to mod it and it still on 4.82 or older (or you have a more recent model and are still on 4.82) there is the HAN exploit method, but that is a pita to manage songs with this method. There is no other ways, unless you are on a VERY old firmware.

To be clear, even if you inject files in your HDD (there are methods out there) you would still not be able to play the custom songs. Songs would show up in the list but they wouldn’t be unlocked and therefore wouldn’t load. The PS3 is a very protected system. Trust me on this, me and a few other dedicated people did alot of testing to make them working on OFW, and there’s no other way than the HAN exploit, and this was patched in the latest update.

The only other thing that works on an OFW (including 4.83) is installing them in another PS3 (modded, or (maybe?) HAN exploit) and use the PS3 network transfer utility, but that would be useless since you would have already a PS3 where customs works, the only reason to do this is if you want to play custom songs online with very minimal ban risks, or a very unusual situation like you know someone with a modded PS3 and he brings it at your place (or maybe through a network tunnel? that would need more testing) and you transfer customs into your PS3. As far as I remember, when you do this you lose everything in your PS3, you will only end up with whatever is on the PS3 you’re transferring from, so say goodbye to your DLC, PSN games and stuff, you will need to redownload all that after a transfer (be aware that if you redownload the RB2 Free Pack 01 your customs will be gone), I’m not sure about the savegames, I’ve never done it myself, but my guess is they are also gone.

If you can’t mod your PS3 and can’t use HAN exploit (or don’t want to) there are multiple ways you can play customs on a PC. Phase Shift and Clone Hero are RB/GH clones that will read converted customs in Phase Shift format. There is also the Dolphin method (Gamecube/Wii emulator), but that is rather complicated to do, this would be only if you want the RB3 experience on your PC. None of these softwares (including Dolphin) works with a microphone, so if your goal is to play vocals you HAVE to play on a real console. If your goal is to play pro instruments (including drums) you can only do so on Phase Shift using a MIDI connection or Dolphin using Wii gear (A Wii MIDI Pro adapter works fine).

Files on a PS3 HDD are encrypted to be read only by a specific PS3, in your case, only YOUR PS3, it wouldn’t work even in another PS3, you’d need to format it.

If your PS3 is a fairly old model (CECH-25xx or older) and you didn’t update to 4.83 (so is on 4.82 OFW or older) you can mod it using a USB drive and an internet connection. If you don’t want to mod it and it still on 4.82 or older (or you have a more recent model and are still on 4.82) there is the HAN exploit method, but that is a pita to manage songs with this method. There is no other ways, unless you are on a VERY old firmware.

To be clear, even if you inject files in your HDD (there are methods out there) you would still not be able to play the custom songs. Songs would show up in the list but they wouldn’t be unlocked and therefore wouldn’t load. The PS3 is a very protected system. Trust me on this, me and a few other dedicated people did alot of testing to make them working on OFW, and there’s no other way than the HAN exploit, and this was patched in the latest update.

The only other thing that works on an OFW (including 4.83) is installing them in another PS3 (modded, or (maybe?) HAN exploit) and use the PS3 network transfer utility, but that would be useless since you would have already a PS3 where customs works, the only reason to do this is if you want to play custom songs online with very minimal ban risks, or a very unusual situation like you know someone with a modded PS3 and he brings it at your place (or maybe through a network tunnel? that would need more testing) and you transfer customs into your PS3. As far as I remember, when you do this you lose everything in your PS3, you will only end up with whatever is on the PS3 you’re transferring from, so say goodbye to your DLC, PSN games and stuff, you will need to redownload all that after a transfer (be aware that if you redownload the RB2 Free Pack 01 your customs will be gone), I’m not sure about the savegames, I’ve never done it myself, but my guess is they are also gone.

If you can’t mod your PS3 and can’t use HAN exploit (or don’t want to) there are multiple ways you can play customs on a PC. Phase Shift and Clone Hero are RB/GH clones that will read converted customs in Phase Shift format. There is also the Dolphin method (Gamecube/Wii emulator), but that is rather complicated to do, this would be only if you want the RB3 experience on your PC. None of these softwares (including Dolphin) works with a microphone, so if your goal is to play vocals you HAVE to play on a real console. If your goal is to play pro instruments (including drums) you can only do so on Phase Shift using a MIDI connection or Dolphin using Wii gear (A Wii MIDI Pro adapter works fine).

idk why i didn’t think that the HDD was encrypted (STUPID STUPID ME) anyway i really don’t feel safe jailbreaking my PS3 because its illegal and because i really don’t like the chance that i could loose my data and the fact that there is no online (which even though i can rarely use it, the fact that i can’t use it as much it becomes much more fun due to that fact. I was just hoping to be able to have a safer way to have customs, i do use CH but it doesn’t run the greatest on my very low spec laptop.

I don’t know why you think it’s illegal, it is not. As for online, you can still access online (granted there is a ban risk, but if you don’t do stupid things like signing in without running PSNPatch or playing pirated games online you most likely won’t get banned, we don’t know anyone who got banned for playing a genuine BluRay PS3 game.). As a proof, we are a small crew that’s been playing custom songs online with a CFW for years. Here is a custom song FBFC we did through PSN:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Back to top button