Poll: What do you care about in a custom?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Bryan2Blazed
    Participant
      Personally, multitracks are important enough to me that I’ll eventually separate pseudo-stems for drums via EQ for all of the “keeper” customs that come along, since that’s my main instrument.

Can you go into a little more detail on why they are important to you. I’m trying to understand from the other side of the perspective.

Stems are a little more important for drummers because there needs to be a mutable track for fills, I figure.

I’m writing a tutorial on how people can track down stems for songs, and use editing software to create their own pseudo-stems that work in an illusory fashion in the Rock Band engine. Once that’s out, maybe we will see more customs floating around with multitrack support.

TrojanNemo
      Participant

bah, I play with drum fills disabled. it always felt silly to get those lines letting me do whatever I wanted when obviously there was a set chart being played by the drummer in the track. so since I got on pro drums I disabled them, never looked back.

PikminGuts92
        Participant

I imagine more people would also author pro g/b if there a was nice tutorial out there as well since it’s not officially supported by RBN so there’s no easy-to-read documentation out there.

Bryan2Blazed
          Participant
            bah, I play with drum fills disabled. it always felt silly to get those lines letting me do whatever I wanted when obviously there was a set chart being played by the drummer in the track. so since I got on pro drums I disabled them, never looked back.

I feel the same. I don’t play with fills either. All they do is knock me off time. They were cool when I 1st started playing.

Can you go into a little more detail on why [multitracks] are important to you. I’m trying to understand from the other side of the perspective.

>inb4 wall of text

Some of us like to hear our instrument a tad bit louder for feedback, if you may.

In my case, I’m very OCD when it comes to guitar, so multitracks would make it easier to isolate and author the chart rather than guess and listen really hard (literally) for a translation.

Guessing is not difficult when you got songs like “Seven Nation Army” by The White Stripes, but say… “Stockholm Syndrome” by Muse, it gets a bit tougher; there are 2-3 guitar charts out there for Stockholm with each author’s interpretation, and then there’s Activision’s chart, which unfortunately comes closest to a literal translation, thanks to the isolated guitar track.

It’s not an ultimate deal-breaker, but multitracks are a plus. It’s also fun when everyone’s drunk and you miss that sustain and everyone goes “AWWWW YOU DIPSH*T”

MFX
            Participant
              Can you go into a little more detail on why they are important to you. I’m trying to understand from the other side of the perspective.

It’s a feedback thing. I feel that it’s more edifying to myself and other players when I’m partly responsible for the song audio sounding awesome! It gives you a sense of efficacy, one that merely putting up with “miss sounds” doesn’t give you. I think that was the “magic” of Rock Band getting people on board: even though you weren’t *really* playing the instrument, it kind of felt like you were.

Aside: I also turn off drum fills, but everyone else I know that drums (novices, all) likes playing their own fills.

Oh, and while hearing the original vocal doesn’t bother me (I sing a hell of a lot louder than most tracks!), many people like being able to mute it for the karaoke experience.

I agree completely with MFX. Multitrack is very important for feedback and it makes you feel like you’re actually playing the song. When all instruments are holding their own and it sounds just like the real song, there’s no better feeling.

Bryan2Blazed
              Participant
                It’s a feedback thing. I feel that it’s more edifying to myself and other players when I’m partly responsible for the song audio sounding awesome! It gives you a sense of efficacy, one that merely putting up with “miss sounds” doesn’t give you. I think that was the “magic” of Rock Band getting people on board: even though you weren’t *really* playing the instrument, it kind of felt like you were.
                I agree completely with MFX. Multitrack is very important for feedback and it makes you feel like you’re actually playing the song. When all instruments are holding their own and it sounds just like the real song, there’s no better feeling.

So it increases the realism value for you. You like the feeling that you are actually producing music from the 5 buttons when playing and for you to continue hearing the music, realize you must hit the buttons in time to produce the sound. I can dig that. :c00l: So without multi tracks there is no punishment/reward system. Is that what you’re saying?

MFX
                Participant
                  So without multi tracks there is no punishment/reward system. Is that what you’re saying?

Yep, that’s it exactly. It makes it more than a “good score/bad score” objective, turning it into a qualitative *experience* rather than a mere quantitative score.

I think the crowd boos and (early in the series) crowd sing-alongs helped with that, too.

Say… are we able to include our own sing-along audio tracks in customs?

TrojanNemo
                  Participant

Rock Band 3 does not have support for sing-alongs in its infrastructure as far as we know. neither any RBN song nor any official HMX song post RB3 has them. the way the songs dta and the oggs are set up, I don’t see how it would be.

Rock Band 3 supports singalongs, but nobody knows how to author them. HMX stopped creating singalongs eventually, but the RB3 engine supports singalongs that are included in the old songs. RB3 DLC also supports singalong tracks, this was proven when HMX re-released old songs in RB3 format and included singalongs because they were already made for the older iteration of the song.

TrojanNemo
                    Participant

if HMX has released songs post RB3 with it on, why haven’t we found it?

if it’s in the songs.dta file it will be obvious, just need to know which songs have it. if not, only other option is two channels after backing become sing-alongs.

if HMX has released songs post RB3 with it on, why haven’t we found it?

Have you guys found singalong tracks on pre-RB3 DLC?

The live Iron Maiden songs have prevalent singalongs, and “Fear of The Dark” is a good example.

PikminGuts92
                      Participant

It’s easy to notate. The thing that might be hard to do with Magma is export the mogg with an additional stereo track beyond the backing. Note that the pans for singalongs are -2.5 and 2.5.

('creep'
                        (
                        'name'
                        "Creep"
                        )

(
                        'artist'
                        "Radiohead"
                        )

('master' 1)
                        ('context' 4)
                        (
                        'song'
                        ('name' 'songs/creep/creep')
                        (
                        'tracks'
                        (
                        (
                        'drum'
                        (0 1 2 3 4)
                        )

('bass' 5)
                        (
                        'guitar'
                        (6 7)
                        )

(
                        'vocals'
                        (8 9)
                        )

)

)

('crowd_channels' 12 13)
                        (
                        'pans'
                        (0.00 -1.00 1.00 -1.00 1.00 0.00 -1.00 1.00 -1.00 1.00 -1.00 1.00 -2.50 2.50)
                        )

(
                        'vols'
                        (0.00 0.00 0.00 -1.50 -1.50 -3.00 -2.50 -2.50 -4.50 -4.50 -3.00 -3.00 -4.50 -4.50)
                        )

(
                        'cores'
                        (-1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 1 1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1)
                        )

(
                        'drum_solo'
                        (
                        'seqs'
                        ('kick.cue' 'snare.cue' 'tom1.cue' 'tom2.cue' 'crash.cue')
                        )

)

(
                        'drum_freestyle'
                        (
                        'seqs'
                        ('kick.cue' 'snare.cue' 'hat.cue' 'ride.cue' 'crash.cue')
                        )

)

('midi_file' 'songs/creep/creep.mid')
                        )

('song_scroll_speed' 2300)
                        ('bank' 'sfx/tambourine_bank.milo')
                        ('anim_tempo' 16)
                        ('preview' 106000 147167)
                        (
                        'rank'
                        ('drum' 110)
                        ('guitar' 225)
                        ('bass' 225)
                        ('vocals' 110)
                        ('band' 140)
                        )

('genre' 'alternative')
                        ('decade' 'the90s')
                        ('vocal_gender' 'male')
                        ('song_location' 2)
                        (downloaded TRUE)
                        (exported TRUE)
                        )

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Back to top button