Playing with the Mustang Pro Guitar AND having audio feedback?

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Yabarnian
    Participant

Is there a way to play Rock Band 3 with the Mustang Pro Guitar (the one with the buttons) AND have audio feedback?

For context: You can use the Mustang guitar in RB3 using a MIDI Pro Adapter, through the MIDI port of the guitar. You also can use a Mustang Pro Guitar as a “real instrument” with the correct setup, using the same port.

I can use my Yamaha keyboard’s MIDI in to hear my pro guitar. With that setup, I tried to connect the MIDI out of the keyboard to the Midi Pro Adapter, but it doesn’t seem to work in game, it doesn’t recognize it at all.

Have you had any luck playng the Mustang Pro Guitar with audio feedback?

I thought of using this MIDI splitter with two extra cables, one to the keyboard and another to the MPA. Do you think it will work?

There’s also the issue with the tunning of the songs, and there’s the Squier guitar too… is this even worth trying? What do you think?

Yeah it’s possible.

Using a hardware sound module, you will need to plug the guitar in the input, and the MPA in the “through” port, I’ve never got it to work with a normal output port for some reason.

Using a PC you will want to make sure all channels (all 6) are tied to a VST.

Depending on your hardware/software the setup might be different, but one thing to keep in mind: each string uses its own MIDI channel.

As for the tuning part: yeah, this is a pain, there’s no easy way to go about this unless your sound module or your VST allows for quck and easy pitch change on independant channels.

raynebc
      Participant

Something like MIDI-OX or MIDI YOKE might be useful to pipe the MIDI commands to multiple devices. I used MIDI-OX back in the day when I plugged my Casio (which only had USB output) into my laptop, and then redirected the MIDI output to a MIDISPORT USB device, which sent the MIDI to the MIDI pro adapter and let me play pro keys in RB3.

PikminGuts92
        Participant

Your setup didn’t work because the keyboard didn’t forward all of the MIDI events from the guitar to your MPA device. Pro guitar sends both SysEx events and regular note on/off events. The game uses the SysEx events to determine left hand position, right hand strums, and hardware type (Mustang vs. Squier). The note on/off events contain the velocity and pitch of each note, which most MIDI devices would be able to interpret.

I think using a splitter would be the simplest and best solution here.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Back to top button