MFX Hates Your Crowd: [music_end]

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MFX
    Participant

You.

Yes you, laddie! (or lassie…)

I hate it when the crowd in your customs continues to clap after the music is done.

There’s an easy way to fix this, but you keep messing it up:

The [music_end] text events transitions the crowd audio from its “play” state to its “outro” state (the crowd being super-psyched that you just gave an awesome performance). The [music_end] event also triggers a big cheer sound effect, so you should place this text event right after the last note of a song, or when a crowd would start cheering at the end of the song.

To elaborate even further, you place this event soon after the last note is hit/strummed/plucked, not when it ends. If the band lets a chord ring, then you put [music_end] near the START of that chord/note. Generally putting it a quarter note after this last note begins will suffice, simulating the crowd recognizing that the song is over.

NOW GO FIX IT.

Oddbrother
      Participant

The end of a song makes me cry in happiness if this text event is authored properly.

Thank you for your rant/reminder/opinion.

ws54
        Participant

Similarly, in case it is not obvious, [music_start] should go at the place where an audience would recognize the song. Triggers the applause.

My pet peeve are songs that have clapping when the song is not a clappy type song.

MFX
          Participant

My pet peeve are songs that have clapping when the song is not a clappy type song.

Right! And many of those sort of songs could use [crowd_mellow] along with that [crowd_noclap]. Chillll, people…

It’s actually pretty funny. Personally, I play with the crowd at 0% and miss hit sounds off. I don’t know, but when I’m playing I’m just enjoying the music and gameplay, and am less concerned with the “live performance” simulation part. 

However, I took a lot of care in my C3 customs (assuming it wasn’t a HOLY **** this isn’t done yet) to make sure my EVENTS track was decently done with all this. I know I don’t play with them enables, but most people probably do. [music_start] should go when a crowd would start cheering, and [music_end] is when they know it’s last part of the song. I usually turn off clapping in parts it shouldn’t be, and I would always turn it off during even just a measure of “pause” with maybe just vocals and such.

FujiSkunk
            Keymaster

Just to be the devil’s advocate, every now and then there is a song where it makes sense that the audience would keep clapping afterward, at least for a beat or two.  I’m thinking of songs with hard, sudden endings, where people unfamiliar with the tune or just caught up in the moment won’t immediately register that the song is over.  Right Said Fred’s “I’m Too Sexy” for example.

Now of course even in those songs you should take care not to let the clapping go on for too long.  And while we’re ranting about improper event placement, please put [end] a respectable distance away from [music_end].  The audience needs time to cheer, the players need time to bask in the applause, and those last ringing notes need time to… well, ring.  I always feel like the rug is being yanked out from under me when I hit the last note and then immediately get whisked off the highway and onto the stats screen.

I discovered no_clap before I even shared customs, but I never considered a different placement of music_start. I always figured it was like the audience cheering as the band takes the stage.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Back to top button