Is charting pro keys mandatory?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I wanted to ask if we HAD to chart pro keys for our songs. I ask this because I am really not good at charting pro keys (I can do it, but still…), and I noticed that one of the Aretha Franklin songs you guys released didn’t have pro keys. And now with TrojanNemo’s new Magma version where you can disable pro keys, this is what brings up my question.

Farottone
    Keymaster

From our internal memo:

– Keys and Pro Keys are optional, but highly recommended

– Keys can be charted without Pro Keys, but transcription of 5 Lane Keys directly to Pro Keys is absolutely forbidden. In this case you can now use Magma C3 to disable pro keys.

Now, with that said, a lot depends on the song. If you’re doing an Elton John song, you can’t skip pro keys, it’s as as simple as that. On the other hand, if keys are not the most prominent instrument, you can consider skipping them if you really can’t chart them, nobody can help and the song is otherwise done.

espher
      Participant

To add to that:

* The chart has a prominent, known keys part (especially if it’s the focus of the song), you should and I would argue MUST chart it — there should be sufficient sheet music, .midis, and/or videos of someone playing the song to piece it together.

* If the part is buried in the mix and no reliable reference material is available, you can skip it, but you should chart 5-lane if you can “guesstimate” the part.

* If you can’t be exact on the pro keys charting for the above reasons, but have 95%-accurate source material, try to author something that kinda sorta fits for the iffy parts — we can always revise the chart if we get feedback from pro keys players/testers or other individuals with something better.

Farottone
        Keymaster

* If you can’t be exact on the pro keys charting for the above reasons, but have 95%-accurate source material, try to author something that kinda sorta fits for the iffy parts — we can always revise the chart if we get feedback from pro keys players/testers or other individuals with something better.

Yes, this is very important. If you can’t hear it, something that makes sense works too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Back to top button