Huge Discovery made in regards to 5 button guitar and PRO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

It turns out there is a closer relationship between 5 button and guitar pro that was even thought. I have been running into “hand position fret” issues with Magma and could not figure out why I never had them before.

Turns out it was for 2 reasons:

The first is that the existing non-custom tracks would never show the issue (more on that later).

The second was that I was never using magma to validate since the PRO tracks worked in game fine as upgrades…

Ok, so after a nice but painful tutorial from Farottone, I learned how the injection and magma compile worked. I was then able to hunt down and experiment with these errors. After 2 days and with some reaper help from PG, I finally stumbled upon the answer.

When you chart a 5 button guitar, there is a previously undiscovered unwritten rule. When you are reducing notes (especially in a solo) you dont ever want to merge two note together if you dont need to. For examples, in this particular song, there was a 12h14 in the solo (and 2 other places). The author reduced it to 14 in the other difficulties (which would be fine expect), but he included the area of the 12 note. (So the 14 replaces the two notes from the start of the 12 to the end of the 14). That crosses 2 frets! When that happens, the PRO “auto difficulties” feature breaks since it will put one note on there for pro (14) but the hand position MUST REMAIN at 12 per the spec*.

*I should have guessed this as in the past (a Blondie song) I tried to chart x79997x as 0122xx on hard. The game played it fine MOST of the time, other times would render it as x77777. And it would not compile in MAGMA. Now that makes sense as it breaks the same rule. In PRO reductions, all the notes must start on the same consistent fret name as the EXPERT track.

So, it in the above example, if the 5 button just dropped the note length associated with the “12” area, everything would have worked peachy at the lower difficulties. It all stems from the “merging” of note at the 5 button guitar on levels lower than expert!

I hope this explains it well and that perhaps if you are charting 5 button guitar, you could keep this small detail in mind.

When it does come up, I have to generate all the difficulties, turn that feature off, and manually split the merged notes on HARD/MEDIUM/EASY.

NOTE: if the actual guitar note was E12 and A12 and you merged that into one long 12, that would work fine since the fret does not change.

ws54
    Participant

I’m not sure what you mean by “merging” on 5-button. Do you mean reducing/simplifying the chords from expert to hard? A visual may help since my familiarity with Pro guitar is at the beginner level.

Farottone
      Keymaster

When you chart a 5 button guitar, there is a previously undiscovered unwritten rule. When you are reducing notes (especially in a solo) you dont ever want to merge two note together if you dont need to.

Well, you don’t actually merge two notes. But if you have a 1/32th hammer on just before a note, in example, you will remove that and pull back the following note. And that is the proper way to reduce from Expert. Point is: why wouldn’t it be a single note on pro too?

espher
        Participant

I have read this like four times and I am confused.

PikminGuts92
          Participant

To clear things up, he’s referring to the logic Ziggy’s editor uses to auto-generate lower difficulties. This is just one of the bugs that was found. If you’re like me and do lower difficulties by hand, you’ll most likely not need to worry about this issue.

I have read this like four times and I am confused.

I think I somewhat understood it.

Suppose that in a 5-lane guitar reductions, BO BO BO BO BO hammer ons are reduced to B B B B B notes or O O O O O.

Magma will PMS if in the pro guitar section of 12h14 12h14 12h14 12h14 12h14 is reduced to anything other than “12 12 12 12 12” or “14 14 14 14 14.”

If, for example, the hammer ons are reduced to 12 12 14 12 14, Magma will PMS.

Regardless of the beginning color or beginning fret chosen, consistency is the key in both pro and 5-lane. Amirite?

PikminGuts92
            Participant
              I think I somewhat understood it.

Suppose that in a 5-lane guitar reductions, BO BO BO BO BO hammer ons are reduced to B B B B B notes or O O O O O.

Magma will PMS if in the pro guitar section of 12h14 12h14 12h14 12h14 12h14 is reduced to anything other than “12 12 12 12 12” or “14 14 14 14 14.”

If, for example, the hammer ons are reduced to 12 12 14 12 14, Magma will PMS.

Regardless of the beginning color or beginning fret chosen, consistency is the key in both pro and 5-lane. Amirite?

Not quite. Basically, when doing reductions, you should only remove notes or shorten sustains. You should not change an ‘X-7-9-9-8-7’ chord to ‘0-2-2-0-0-0’. Or if a single note is played on the 6th fret of 2nd string, do not reduce it to 1st fret on 1st string.

You can’t do any of that because the fret values will be less than the fret hand position note. That’s why Magma gives you errors about it. This has nothing to do with 5-lane guitar unless you’re using that as a template for auto-generation because at the moment that causes problems.

right. But more importantly, you can AVOID 5 button introducing the error.

example: using “=” as a note lane… NOTE: 5 button could be RED BLUE for 12 and 14.

=12= =14================

can be reduced to

=12=

or

=12====================

or

___=14================

But NOT

=14===================

because the 14 now starts where the 12 used to start

Well, you don’t actually merge two notes. But if you have a 1/32th hammer on just before a note, in example, you will remove that and pull back the following note. And that is the proper way to reduce from Expert. Point is: why wouldn’t it be a single note on pro too?

That is what I am tell you not to do (pull back the FOLLOWING note). You can lengthen the end of the first note (to the end of the second) or drop the first and just not pull back the second.

It IS a single note on pro, but if you pull BACK the second note and its on a different fret in the actual song, you introduce the issue. I went back to the harmonix tracks and noted that they never did that (if it was a different fret). Probably because they knew guitar as they charted 5 button.

right. But more importantly, you can AVOID 5 button introducing the error.

example: using “=” as a note lane… NOTE: 5 button could be RED BLUE for 12 and 14.

=12= =14================

can be reduced to

=12=

or

=12====================

or

___=14================

But NOT

=14===================

because the 14 now starts where the 12 used to start

I don’t get it. If you placed a Index indicator for fret 12 on the 12 note, the 14 would play fine even if the 12 was removed and the 14 moved to right under the 12 index indicator. Fret 14 is still a valid note with the index on 12. That system exists on purpose, so that the Pro engine can tell what fingers are playing what notes, and shift the numbers horizontally to make them easier to read.

If it’s breaking some third party automatic charting software, I’d suggest ditching the flawed software.

TrojanNemo
              Participant

The flawed software throwing the error is MagmaCompiler ;-)

Not MagmaCompiler, it knows the credentials for a valid Pro chart, it throw up errors because this automatic difficulty reduction software is making bad charts it sounds like.

Is it really that hard to reduce Pro by hand?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Back to top button