How do YOU do dryvox?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    C16

Recently, I’ve taken to making dryvox (vocalist lip sync animations) files for older customs that I like, but I’m interested in how other people might do them cause there’s quite few another people doing customs with them outside of C3.

trojannemo tried to teach me the method of recording them based on the vocals midi, but that proved too complicated for me. troipoison taught me how to do it via my own vocal recording, and I found that option far me valuable to me. I hear this option is not well suited for people that can’t sing though.

I’d like to hear other author’s opinions on this (especially epsher) to improve my technique since I hope to bring all bring my standards to C3 standards and maybe even chart a release one day.

What I’ve been doing is listening to a song’s audio and recording myself signing along to the chart’s vocal audio. Obviously, this pertains to already released songs, but I assume it also pertains to charting dryvox for songs if I plan to do it myself, but what do I know, right? I want expert opinions. For instance, I’ve noticed it’s difficult (for me) to get the vocalist to carry long vocal notes animation-wise, so I’d like to learn more tricks.

And hey, if this is something covered in one of pksage’s charting videos, then feel free to reference them or delete the thread. I have them all downloaded, I just haven’t watched them yet. I’m trying to babystep through some of this stuff. I just figure if you like the song enough to chart even one part of it, you can make dryvbox for the vocals. I’ve done it for new songs i like that I haven’t even heard of prior to hearing someone else’s chart of it.

Farottone
      Keymaster
        troipoison taught me how to do it via my own vocal recording, and I found that option far me valuable to me. I hear this option is not well suited for people that can’t sign though.

You don’t need to sing, you can just speak on time. What the dry vox does is 2 things: lips animation and scoring window tweaking.

For lips animation, you just need to be on time and exaggerate phonems. For scoring window tweaking, the point is that the vocal engine takes the dry vox and loosen the scoring window by how much the dry vox is different than the MIDI data. Live recodings are sloppier and some singers are not that precise: since you can’t pitch tune some notes only (the Tuning Cents option in Magma) and since sometimes a singer will be flat or sharp only in some parts or on some notes, dry vox provides some help. Now, a spoken dry vox will provide a much larger tolerance window, but since we don’t care that much about very precise scoring in customs (you have no leaderboards), it’s not an issue anyway. So, if you feel like it, go ahead and speak, it’s fine anyway.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Back to top button