Has anybody tried doing customs on Dance Central 3?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    XD005
    Participant

Hey guys, I’ve been trying to get some insight as to how to do Dance Central 3 Customs.
      I’ve always been a very big fan of the Dance Central 3 and they haven’t made a real Dance Central game sense.
      Well, Kinect is sort of the only way you can do it and Kinect is dead now as well as the X360. Sooooo….
      I was poking around in some DLC files and it looks like theres a moog_prev, moog, midi, and a XBOX_MILO file.
      I remember the Milo format being used back in the Rock Band days.

Looks like the moves and all the song data is stored in the milo file and the midi is just the drum track from training, and the moog is audio.
      I imagine the MILO might also hold the song title, etc, etc. So my question is how can I extract this information from the milo file and repack it?
      I’d love to breathe some more life into this game if possible, I hate to see such a fantastic franchise die.

while not sure how to do that ..try just for kicks put them all in a folder named the songs name. run it through oxyx see what ya get and let us know

moc_os
      Participant

i would imagine you would have to do some motion capture of someone dancing to a song

XD005
        Participant

while not sure how to do that ..try just for kicks put them all in a folder named the songs name. run it through oxyx see what ya get and let us know

Assuming I’m using the right tool, the milo extractor… It makes a bunch of .bin files and gives me this warning…

: Extract C:UsersMatthewDesktopcloser.milo_xbox

Warning: not enough bytes

Context (innermost first):

– position 51

– Parsing .milo structure

Couldn’t parse milo structure; split into simple pieces.

Success! Created files:

C:UsersMatthewDesktopCLOSER

i would imagine you would have to do some motion capture of someone dancing to a song

Some songs reuse the same animations and moves from other songs.

Although I think some DLC songs can introduce new moves entirely.

There must be some sort of “use this move at this time” thing going on.

moc_os
          Participant

Some songs reuse the same animations and moves from other songs.

Although I think some DLC songs can introduce new moves entirely.

There must be some sort of “use this move at this time” thing going on.

interesting. i only played dance central when it first came out so i didn’t notice. if it reuses moves, my guess is that it uses the midi file to tell the animation how log to take also.

XD005
            Participant

interesting. i only played dance central when it first came out so i didn’t notice. if it reuses moves, my guess is that it uses the midi file to tell the animation how log to take also.

So, looking at the midi, looks like a somewhat similar format to GH2 and Rock Band, and some of Harmonix’s older games.

There is an EVENTS track and a DRUMS track like in Rock Band. There are some tags we’ve seen in other games, such as music_start.

I’m pretty confident the DRUMS track is just the track for the practice, dosen’t look like move programming. Most of the meat is probably in those milo files. Might be another midi inside of the milos or something.

Here is a screenshot of the event data for Body Movin’

Also wanted to add, running the MILO files from the songs through the Advanced Art Converter tool from the Rock Band C3 tools, I was able to extract the pictures for all the moves in a song.

So looks to be confirmed that the MILO_XBOX files do indeed contain the moves for each song. Unsure if anything else is in those files. Did stumble upon a file called barks.MILO_XBOX

YougottaMove1999
              Participant

I was just think about this the other day. Given that Harmonix –I applied for one of their jobs, and seriously if the interview tanks I really, just want to lay it into them on how bad they F* everything up– is almost declaring bankruptcy, you would think they woul dmove to a almost steam business model. Here are my thoughts:

1. DC3 only has like 56 moves which can be broken into 2, or 4 count and right side or left. So, really it could be done with a janky video editor like program.

2. all music has a 4 beat, and unless you are dealing with salsa or jungle (which leans towards a 3 count to the ear), its all just mixing, hell, they got a new game where you just take 1 of 4 parts from songs, and that works so why not this.

3. you upload a piece of music you like (say standard mp3, your choice on bitrate), have the intro stall/lead things tha tall DC games have until it starts to add up, put together the moves, and upload it to the DC server, it’s $2 to upload it, and every download gives you $.25 and to the artist $.75 of which would be kept in a slush investment fund until the artist contacts Harmonix/whomever does this for their payout based on a yearly payout. This is the real money maker here. the artist get a fairly good payout considering that cd’s gave the artist only $2 for every $10-15 disc, adn what $.05 for $2 itunes, and the total fund could be used like a hedge fund to make more money, which would be taken for the company as extra profit.

4. people could vote on songs so a human could could separate the crap stuff from good works, you could even save creators cause they do good work.

5. great search parameters: artist, title, genre, decade, creator, country of origin (N/A if not known =- for those with insane country pride).

DONE

I think it almost criminal how harmonix ignores songs, people like their stuff, why not give them the chance to go for it.

What the world needs now...is more disco. And, let's ban percussion sections, does anyone like them? NO! Having a spot to enjoy the song, and more importantly, go drab a refill on your drink is wayyy better, without grunting into your mic (had to find the hard way main button works insanely better - not in manual). Plus, stop it with the crazy intense background, you can't read the lyrics. You know who you are, stop giving the kids seizures. not cool. Also, the Novelty genre should be abolished, and disco

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Back to top button