general Pro-Guitar HOPO / HOPO threshold for RB3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rokryno
    Participant

Hi, I’m creating customs for RB3, specifically for pro guitar and trying to gain command of Hammer-ons/Pulloffs. If there’s already documentation or a thread that answers my questions, then just a link that points me in the right direction will suffice as an answer…

I’m Just wondering:

a) what the numbers in Magma’s HOPO threshold settings are in relation to (90, 130, 170, 230)?

:cool: in Reaper I understand 103 is the channel for forcing HOPO on/off in expert, but exactly which note(s) does it go above? does it just go right above the note you’re not planning to strum for? Or Does the duration of the note matter?

c)within notes 96-101, if I drag the end of a note size down to the smallest possible size, will that not force a HOPO regardless of the distance of the note prior?

d) How does it decipher whether you’re commanding on or off? Is this done by the velocity of the “Force HOPO…” channel’s note?

Sorry for the lengthy neediness for info, I’m just looking to start using HOPOs and so far they are not showing up in the game. Thanks

rubydanger
      Participant

I don’t know the answers to your question – but if you run your mid through midi cleaner and then import it back, it should clear up some of your questions

Shroud
        Participant

I am not sure but I think the threshold refers to BPM speed so that all 16th (or is it 32nd?) notes are turned to HOPO if the BPM of the song section is above the threshold.

By 16ths I am actually referring to notes distance rather than duration. I think notes are automatically set to HOPO if their starting time is a 16th or less (and if they are not identical notes) and I think note duration doesn’t matter for 16ths and faster notes. So yeah distance matters, not duration.

I don’t think it’s common at all to change the thresholds. Instead, authors are using force HOPO on when they want to make sure specific notes are HOPO even at lower speed, and vicersa force HOPO off when they want strummed fast notes.

You can put a single long force HOPO ON or OFF over a whole section of notes if you want.

onyxite
          Participant

The correct pitch for Pro Guitar is actually 102, not 103. Make sure you have a note name template that matches this:

FiyB5Xx.png

The length of the force note doesn’t have to match the gem note, and as you can see you can stretch it out to cover multiple notes.

Forcing a strum works differently from standard guitar/bass/keys (which use two separate pitches). I haven’t tested it myself but I believe Ruggy determined that setting the force note to channel 13 will make it force strums instead of HOPOs:

0AmT5IR.png

You should read his thread here if you haven’t already: http://customscreators.com/index.php?/topic/17614-general-thread-for-pro-guitarbass-questions/

Also note that Pro Guitar has a few unfinished parts of how it displays notes. For example chords, though they can be HOPOs (or tapped), won’t visually look any different in game (other than being able to have slides connect directly into them).

And yeah what Shroud said, HOPO threshold is not commonly changed anymore. It is an older method, dating back to the original GH games whereas manual forcing wasn’t added until RB2. The numbers refer to the maximum number of MIDI ticks between notes to automatically make a HOPO, and we always use 480 ticks per quarter note in our MIDIs. So 170 (the default) is slightly more than an 8th note triplet (160 ticks).

TrojanNemo
            Participant

You posted this thread about customs for RB3 in the RB4 board. Moved.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Back to top button