Drowned – The Who

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

So, I finally decided to try & tackle some charting myself.

Just doing the vocals, or more so, seeing if I actually can figure things out. I have the whole song charted in reaper, or the lead vocals at least. There is a small harmony part that I might try to do as well (went back & charted it), but I’m mostly just looking for help or feedback & haven’t done anything in magma or any other programs just yet.

I’m not entirely sure if I did the whole timing/tempo mapping correctly, & also unsure about the percussion marks I put throughout the song, & a few other things, but I have everything charted & the lyrics put in.

Mostly just wanting to know if I’m doing this even remotely right, because, I think I could really get into to charting vocals or trying to do some work myself if I am.

This is what I have:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … sp=sharing

Nyxyxylyth
    Participant
      I’m not entirely sure if I did the whole timing/tempo mapping correctly, & also unsure about the percussion marks I put throughout the song, & a few other things, but I have everything charted & the lyrics put in.

Unfortunately, the tempo map isn’t remotely close – and since that’s the foundation that all the MIDI notes rest on top of, it means everything will have to be redone.

Your pitches and phrasing aren’t too bad, but without a good tempo map, there’s no point in a detailed critique.

Tempo-map wise, you’ve got virtually the same tempo in six chunks of the song. There’s just no way Keith Moon ever kept time like that. For example, at 15.719 seconds, you’ve drifted to about an eighth note early. At 23.5, you’re a quarter note early, etc.

Keep your original file and start a new project, creating a new tempo map. Let us review that before you chart anything else. Once that’s solid, you can copy in the MIDI tracks from your original project, so you can at least save the syllables and pitches. But every tube will have to be moved, shortened, and/or lengthened to match the corrected tempo map.

Unfortunately, the tempo map isn’t remotely close – and since that’s the foundation that all the MIDI notes rest on top of, it means everything will have to be redone.

Your pitches and phrasing aren’t too bad, but without a good tempo map, there’s no point in a detailed critique.

Tempo-map wise, you’ve got virtually the same tempo in six chunks of the song. There’s just no way Keith Moon ever kept time like that. For example, at 15.719 seconds, you’ve drifted to about an eighth note early. At 23.5, you’re a quarter note early, etc.

Keep your original file and start a new project, creating a new tempo map. Let us review that before you chart anything else. Once that’s solid, you can copy in the MIDI tracks from your original project, so you can at least save the syllables and pitches. But every tube will have to be moved, shortened, and/or lengthened to match the corrected tempo map.

Yeah, I really had no idea how to account for Keith Moon & the way he kept “timing”. I mostly just did this to see if I could..actually do it & put the time in it.

I really got into trying to figure out what to do, without really knowing what I’m doing.

& I would have no problem going back in & fixing & synching everything up once I have the tempo down.

Nyxyxylyth
      Participant
        Yeah, I really had no idea how to account for Keith Moon & the way he kept “timing”. I mostly just did this to see if I could..actually do it & put the time in it.

I really got into trying to figure out what to do, without really knowing what I’m doing.

& I would have no problem going back in & fixing & synching everything up once I have the tempo down.

Break it down to something small – just tempo map the first minute and PM me a link.

Watch my tutorial if you haven’t already:

Remember to position the cursor very precisely at the start of every measure (ONE-two-three-four, ONE-two-three-four etc), and then press Q.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Back to top button