Dr. Nekronimus’ Under Construction (11/13/2020)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dr. Nekronimus
    Participant

Hey everyone, this is Dr. Nekronimus here. First of all, thank you for taking the time to read this thread!

Over time, I’ll be updating this thread with some potential ideas for new songs to chart. Below, you’ll see all of my song ideas sorted into groups: songs I have already started working on, songs that I probably want to do sometime in the future, and songs that are mostly finished and are in the process of being playtested. 

Songs I Have Already Started:

• Run the Jewels – Call Ticketron (Actual charting started, may be on hiatus for right now)
      • Devo – Secret Agent Man (Actual charting started)
      • Germs – Lexicon Devil (Actual charting started, still in a very early stage)

Future Song Ideas:

• Devo – Blockhead
      • Devo – The Day My Baby Gave Me A Surprize

Playtesting:

• None at the moment!

Thank you all, and stay legend.

Dr. Nekronimus
      Participant

Update 7/11/2020:

Added a song to the started list (Call Ticketron), added a song (Cough Syrup) to the future ideas list, took one song out

kyrosa
        Participant

When I was playtesting Fashionista, a lot of the notes felt off, so I pulled it up in Reaper and I’m pretty sure your backing track is misaligned by about an eight of a beat. I’d go and make sure your downbeat is actually falling in line with the grid. It was making the fast hammered guitar part impossible for me to play.

On your drum part, I noticed you have the clap charted to to red gem, which is usually reserved for snares. If it were me, I might change the claps to a vocal percussion section and have the drum part just be the kick + hat triplets. That way you can really focus on making an interesting rhythm part based around alternating yellow and blue cymbal gems. Just my opinion, though.

On that note, it seems like the drum part is only about half-finished? I feel like there’s meant to be the hat triplets going throughout the song, but they cut out about a third of the way through.

Besides that, the chart seems just fine to me. The guitar, bass, and key parts all stand out from each other and are very consistent. Plus, it’s just a fun little bouncy song that works better than I thought it would in Rock Band. Definitely good for a first attempt. Keep up the good work!

Dr. Nekronimus
          Participant

When I was playtesting Fashionista, a lot of the notes felt off, so I pulled it up in Reaper and I’m pretty sure your backing track is misaligned by about an eight of a beat. I’d go and make sure your downbeat is actually falling in line with the grid. It was making the fast hammered guitar part impossible for me to play.

When you say “backing track”, do you mean the song audio, the beat track, or the tempo map? I playtested the song on both my Wii U and CH and it didn’t seem offset to me. Double checked REAPER and the audio seems to be snapped properly and the beat track looks fine. Could you show a picture or something to explain this further?

On your drum part, I noticed you have the clap charted to to red gem, which is usually reserved for snares. If it were me, I might change the claps to a vocal percussion section and have the drum part just be the kick + hat triplets. That way you can really focus on making an interesting rhythm part based around alternating yellow and blue cymbal gems. Just my opinion, though.

On that note, it seems like the drum part is only about half-finished? I feel like there’s meant to be the hat triplets going throughout the song, but they cut out about a third of the way through.

The claps serve the same purpose a snare normally would, right? At least that’s what I intended.

I’m assuming you’re referring to the “verses” where the hats cut out? I wasn’t too sure about what to do for those parts. If I charted them literally (basically transferring the notes from my original project file to the RB format), I feel like the closed hats would have seemed too awkward to play since some notes overlap. It just made more sense to keep it as an open hat/clap pattern, but I could be wrong of course.

kyrosa
            Participant

Sorry, I was mistaken about backing track being off. My bad there, you’re fine.

As for the rest, it’s definitely your call on how you want to do it. Obviously the problem with trying to chart anything done with a drum machine is that you’re going to have to lose some elements to be able to play it with only two hands. My personal feeling is that if you de-emphasized the claps, you could focus more on giving the drummer an interesting alternating left hand/right hand pattern to play using the two cymbals.

For example, starting around measure 47, you’ve got a section that’s the kick, clap, and blue cymbal, right? I hear a lot of times where the cymbal should be playing 16th notes, but you’ve got 8th notes charted. Maybe try adding a few of those 16ths back in, then figuring out a pattern that works two-handed, adding in the claps to spice it up when you can?

Again, this is just my personal feelings, and I’m pretty new at all this, too. Plus, I’m awful at drums, so it’s entirely possible that any suggestions I make might just make the song less fun. Trust your gut, you wrote the song after all, so you know how it should ‘feel’ more any anyone.

Dr. Nekronimus
              Participant

Update 7/14/2020:

• Reworded the OP
                • Added 3 Devo songs (Blockhead, Secret Agent Man, and The Day My Baby Gave Me A Surprize) to the Future Ideas list
                • Took Fashionista out of Playtesting and into its Initial Release!
                Dr. Nekronimus
                Participant

Update 7/19/2020:

• Took out Known For It from the Started category and placed it into Playtesting.

If anyone sees any obvious problems with Known For It, be sure to let me know. I am still new to this whole thing after all.

Also, there are no vocals for the time being since I don’t exactly feel comfortable doing them just yet. Stay tuned for any updates though.

Dr. Nekronimus
                  Participant

Update 10/1/2020 (Whew, this thread was dusty):

• Added a song (Lexicon Devil) to the Future Ideas list.
                    • Took 2 songs (Secret Agent Man and Cough Syrup) out of Future Ideas and into Already Started. Also added brief descriptions on the progress of certain songs.

So yeah, I’ve been away for a while. But, I am trying to get back into the swing of things slowly but surely. As you can see, I’ve already started two more songs that were in my Futures Ideas list. While Cough Syrup is still in a very early stage at the moment, I have already charted most of the Keys and a few portions of the other instruments for Secret Agent Man, so be on the lookout for it!

Thank you, and stay legend.

Dr. Nekronimus
                    Participant

Update 11/9/20

• Moved a song (Lexicon Devil) from Future Ideas to Already Started
                      • Changed status of Call Ticketron’s progress
                      • Moved a song (Cough Syrup) from Already Started to Playtesting!

Hey everyone! I know it’s taken me another month to get this far, but I managed to get into the playtesting phase of yet another custom. This time, it’s the Butthole Surfers’ Cough Syrup. You can find a link to it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18VdwF94Rpr_43tGVwahk2hAmIItSj6mI/view?usp=sharing

This custom took me the longest time to reach the playtesting stage by far, and I would appreciate any feedback since this is only my third custom. There are definitely some spots that I plan on tweaking later (mostly in the bass part), so stay tuned for another update on that. The album art may look a little strange as well (it looked a little blocky(?) on my Wii U), although I will try to fix it to the best of my ability. 

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy, and stay legend. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Nekronimus said:

Update 11/9/20

• Moved a song (Lexicon Devil) from Future Ideas to Already Started
                      • Changed status of Call Ticketron’s progress
                      • Moved a song (Cough Syrup) from Already Started to Playtesting!

Hey everyone! I know it’s taken me another month to get this far, but I managed to get into the playtesting phase of yet another custom. This time, it’s the Butthole Surfers’ Cough Syrup. You can find a link to it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18VdwF94Rpr_43tGVwahk2hAmIItSj6mI/view?usp=sharing

This custom took me the longest time to reach the playtesting stage by far, and I would appreciate any feedback since this is only my third custom. There are definitely some spots that I plan on tweaking later (mostly in the bass part), so stay tuned for another update on that. The album art may look a little strange as well (it looked a little blocky(?) on my Wii U), although I will try to fix it to the best of my ability. 

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy, and stay legend. 

Excited for Call Ticketron love me some run the jewels! 👍

Dr. Nekronimus
                      Participant

Update 11/13/20

• Cough Syrup is ready to go!

After playtesting Cough Syrup for a while, I think I’ve ironed out all of the problems I saw with the chart from my first go-around. I am planning to make a new “released” thread over in Custom Song Discussion so that this thread will be solely for future chart ideas from here on out. As for Known For It, it has been a while since I’ve taken a good look at the chart, so that may be my next big priority so I can get that transferred to the new thread. 

Be on the lookout for my release thread, and stay legend everyone. 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Back to top button