Did Harmonix just confirm backwards compatibility for instruments?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    TrojanNemo
    Participant

We’re not asking you to re-buy content you accumulated last generation. We’re bringing that content over—you’ll get to play the songs you’ve already purchased in Rock Band 4. We’re not even asking you to buy new instruments if you still have your gear from prior versions of Rock Band.

http://gaminginsiders.com/features/qa-h … ve-janiak/

That’s very different language than “we’re trying to work with first party to maybe get the old instruments to work on the new consoles” that we’ve heard to date.

GracieBlue19
      Participant

I read that the same way you do Trojan. I was expecting to see “at this time” at the end of that quote but it isn’t there.

Exactly my thoughts when I read it.

read it the same way as you did.

As someone who isn’t likely a first-year purchaser of RB4, I’d be very pleased (and, frankly, shocked) if the new instruments were compatible with RB3. Very pleased indeed – I would buy several, even though I wouldn’t have RB4. These old plastic guitars are getting harder and harder to find.

raynebc
        Participant

I wonder if they’ll backpedal on this statement regarding premium gear like Ions or MIDI pro adapters for use with better drum kits? If they can’t be a**ed to support at least those two peripherals I would have no desire for RB4 even if my friends want to play it.

Farottone
          Keymaster
            I wonder if they’ll backpedal on this statement regarding premium gear like Ions or MIDI pro adapters for use with better drum kits?

Theoretically, a dongle is a dongle.

TrojanNemo
            Participant
              As someone who isn’t likely a first-year purchaser of RB4, I’d be very pleased (and, frankly, shocked) if the new instruments were compatible with RB3. Very pleased indeed – I would buy several, even though I wouldn’t have RB4. These old plastic guitars are getting harder and harder to find.

Well, that’s not what this article is talking about. At all. The idea of bringing old RB3 instruments to work with RB4 will undoubtedly require everyone to use dongles/adapters that will interpret the signal and convert it to something the new consoles can understand.

New consoles made for RB4 will also be using the new protocols and wouldn’t work on RB3 unless they also make dongles that go RB4 – RB3 – or maybe they can make the dongles be RB3 <-> RB4, where old hardware will work on new, and new hardware will work on old. It’s a good way to sell hardware, but just like with doing RB3 DLC, it encourages people to not upgrade to RB4, which they don’t want.

So many possibilities, can we just fast forward the next 6 months? :haw:

Well, that’s not what this article is talking about. At all. The idea of bringing old RB3 instruments to work with RB4 will undoubtedly require everyone to use dongles/adapters that will interpret the signal and convert it to something the new consoles can understand.

New consoles made for RB4 will also be using the new protocols and wouldn’t work on RB3 unless they also make dongles that go RB4 – RB3 – or maybe they can make the dongles be RB3 <-> RB4, where old hardware will work on new, and new hardware will work on old. It’s a good way to sell hardware, but just like with doing RB3 DLC, it encourages people to not upgrade to RB4, which they don’t want.

So many possibilities, can we just fast forward the next 6 months? :haw:

I know the article was referring to RB3->RB4, I should have made that clearer. I was just giving my two cents from my own perspective with the (thin, non-existent) hope that someone from HMX is listening. The fact that it may “encourage” people not to purchase RB4 is why I said I’d be shocked if it happened. That said, I doubt providing instruments playable on RB3 would collapse the sales of RB4. If people want RB4, they’ll buy it regardless.

Theoretically, a dongle is a dongle.

Hey, speak for yourself.

TrojanNemo
              Participant

Fence is right, farottone. You need to be more sensitive.

It depends on whether the dongle is identified as a dongle or as an adapter. It gets more complicated when the dongle is really an adapter but hasn’t been labeled that way yet. And then there are also peripherals.

cis- and non cis-dongles

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Back to top button