converting Guitar Hero to Rock Band: midis? chart lists?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hey everyone! I’m currently trying to convert some songs from the Guitar Hero Franchise into Rock Band songs. I’ve been doing this by finding Youtube videos of the charts and following along with it and plugging it into Reaper. However I feel like there may be an easier way to do this, especially as there aren’t Youtube videos of other difficulties besides Expert for some songs.

I haven’t ever delved into conversion stuff before but is there any resource available for transposing the other difficulty charts from Guitar Hero into Rock Band? Whether that be through midis (I don’t actually know if midis do this but I think from what I’ve read they can) or a database of charts from Guitar Hero songs? If you know explain like you’re talking to a dumb person lol, I have no idea what I’m doing in this realm of charting.

Official Guitar Hero charts can be found in bluzer’s Phase Shift conversion thread, on the Frets on Fire forums. You can import the midi, including all difficulties, into REAPER and then adjust for the Rock Band authoring requirements.

Hope that helps!

Official Guitar Hero charts can be found in bluzer’s Phase Shift conversion thread, on the Frets on Fire forums. You can import the midi, including all difficulties, into REAPER and then adjust for the Rock Band authoring requirements.

Hope that helps!

OK, what would I use to import the midis? Do I just use Reaper and throw them in and it will do the rest?

REAPER imports midi, you just have to drag them into the program. Make sure you are inserting the MIDI at the first beat of the project. You then need to manually make adjustments for Rock Band.

Alternatively you could load the MIDI in EoF and save it as a Rock Band MIDI, though the first method is prefered.

Gigakoops
    Participant

Not entirely related, but you should also check the Customs Database on this site to make sure that a given song you’re wanting to convert hasn’t already been converted by someone else. The entirety of both World Tour’s and Metallica’s setlists have been converted by GHtoRB3, as well as a lot of other songs from other games, and there are also converts done by other authors as well (I myself have ported “Bloodlines” by Dethklok, for example). This way you can save time on some songs that may already have a conversion done.

REAPER imports midi, you just have to drag them into the program. Make sure you are inserting the MIDI at the first beat of the project. You then need to manually make adjustments for Rock Band.

Alternatively you could load the MIDI in EoF and save it as a Rock Band MIDI, though the first method is prefered.

Ok, I’ll give the first one a shot and see how it goes

Not entirely related, but you should also check the Customs Database on this site to make sure that a given song you’re wanting to convert hasn’t already been converted by someone else. The entirety of both World Tour’s and Metallica’s setlists have been converted by GHtoRB3, as well as a lot of other songs from other games, and there are also converts done by other authors as well (I myself have ported “Bloodlines” by Dethklok, for example). This way you can save time on some songs that may already have a conversion done.

lol don’t worry I have made sure to, I’m only converting 4 songs and I’ve double and triple checked to make sure they haven’t been done

OK thank you! I’ve gotten charts for 3 of the songs and I’m throwing the midis in now. Working like a charm!

The only problem is, I didn’t find any midis for a song I’m doing from Guitar Hero 3. If they’re not in bluzer’s thread am I out of luck or would they be somewhere else?

Raphael Goulart
      Participant

If you’re on GH3PC, you could export the .chart files using Open-GHTCP (an improved version of GHTCP which, among other functions, lets you export .chart files from on-disc songs). Then you can import them with EoF, save and it’ll create a few files (notes.mid being the one we’re interested in).

After that, just open notes.mid in Reaper, and do the usual process of making it compatible with Magma. The problem you’ll most likely have with using the .mid file from EoF is that the BEAT track will (probably) be missing. You can create one manually or you can either create a new project using the C3 Custom Template, then importing the .mid file into it (and deleting the unused tracks), or use CAT to auto-generate one (still, even if you end up using CAT, the former is preferable). Both are available here.

raynebc
        Participant

On the EOF route, you should enable EOF’s import/export preference to save Rock Band files, then use the notes_rbn.mid file it creates during save. This file will contain the BEAT track and add some other bare bones essentials like generic mix events.

TheWay123
          Participant

You can also use the files on my PPD project over at FoF.net:

One of the community managers and the main tournament organizer over at SpinShare. Also somewhat decent at charting for RB3 I think.

Raphael Goulart
            Participant

I’ve never noticed such options, they’ll be really helpful to me as a main EoF user. Thanks!

(edit: replying to raynebc, forgot to quote)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Back to top button