Black Crowes – Black Moon Creeping / Difficulty with charting Drum’s Chorus Pattern

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello.  First time poster.  I’ve been working on charting the entire Black Crowes album “The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion,” and I’ve come to an impasse with their song Black Moon Creeping, and specifically the drum’s chorus pattern.  There’s a link below if you want to see my work so far. 

Chorus 1 is at 00:01:23:05, Chorus 2 at 00:02:26:03 and the final chorus starts at 00:04:00:16. (Timecode is burned onto the screen to help navigate.)

I should mention up front that I am a video editor by trade and I’m not charting this song through any traditional method listed on this site.  I found myself overwhelmed when I tried to understand these methods so I stuck with what I know.   I’m basically trying to listen to the song and figure out what is being played and I am hoping either someone has a better method for isolating drum tracks, or has a better ear and can decipher what’s going on during these sections.  I should further mention that when a yellow high hat note has been turned white, it means the hi-hat being hit is open (this is crucial, as I am playing on my actual set, and need this info.)

Any suggestions would be helpful as I am clearly not nailing these sections.

Password is q2n5p3hedns

Jack Tyler Rourke
    Participant

Okay, uhm, hello.

Well, it seems that you got the rhythm handled during the chorus, the right hand is playing correctly and so is the snare. You are missing some hi-hat notes that are clearly audible when the drummer does those little snare fills in the choruses, so you should check that.

But I also checked the rest of your chart, and there are some bad practices here that while do not make the song unplayable, it hurts the experience. For instance, it’s a general rule of thumb that all hi-hat notes are charted yellow, so I’d move the blue gems in the chorus to yellow, and the open hi-hat gems to blue (this last one is up to the author).

Also, during the verse, you are charting yellow gems that doesn’t exist during the upbeats. These have to go. Another rule of thumb is that authors must chart what is heard in order to make players feel like they’re actually playing the song and not just arbitrary notes. This rule can be broken when there is very technical drumming going on, but this doesn’t seem to be the case

The docs are not something C3 put together, they were written (mostly) by Harmonix. They’re standards and nothing more. As such, authors are to follow those standards. You don’t even have to read all of them at once, go through each of them as you chart each of the song’s elements. 

Firstly, thanks for replying and reviewing.  As I am relying on my ears, and a filter that is supposed to drop or mute the band, while leaving the drums / percussion. I’m obviously struggling with what I’m hearing and messing things up.

I will re check the chorus for everything you’ve mentioned as well as the verse for the hi hat mistakes.  Hopefully this will fix this.

Last question, as this and my other charts are video only (the elements and final product are video/audio files, not something that interacts or could play on any console) I’m happy to share these with the community, but would anyone want them?  Since they’re nothing but video maps, I figure they’re pretty worthless to anyone but myself, who uses them like a click track and a musical chart to play along with on my actual drum set.  I mean, I only got into this because nothing like this existed (most folks are creating custom songs to play on consoles etc., which excludes my needs.).  Are there others out there using these charts to play on actual drums?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Back to top button