any objective criteria in determining your own song’s difficulty tier?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cleverest
    Participant

For my DRUM ONLY tracks I’m trying to be objective when I chose this, but since I play real drums, I may lean toward making tracks marked as easier than they actually are…anyone have any standards/criteria to follow to better determine this, or is it purely subjective? I instantly can determine a devil tier song generally, and a no-bubbles super simple song, but the rest can be hazy…

cleverest
      Participant

For example, for anyone who has played this song of mine on the drums (sadly the only option), would you agree that 4-bubbles/challenging is accurate? Consider it a mission if you will, to help me figure this out, haha.

http://customscreators.com/index.php?/page/index.html/_/the-cascade-r27151

gospeedgo11
        Participant

It sounds like a 5 rating to me, but I haven’t actually seen the chart.

What I try to do is base it closely to how Harmonix itself rates their official songs and I combine it with mainly the speed of the song and kick petal abundance. I don’t play drums in real life but I am pretty good at them on the game, which may make me the opposite of you and rate the songs harder than what is expected. For example, Walk of Life is a 0 rating but Pumped up Kicks is rated 3, so I think kick petals and beat irregularity plays a big part in how it is rated.

cleverest
          Participant

Thanks for the response. Gives me stuff to think about. I want to hear more about how people determine this; but that DOES make sense.

PikedPike
            Participant

Yeah places where the kick is plays a big part on difficulty, Personally while listening to the song, it is in that 4 to 5 dot category, without seeing the chart no way of really knowing tho. Also I did notice you said keys no part (not just missing) but there is keys (not that this is important to the matter at hand)

If you use Pro Keys 2 Hands, you a cheater, just saying

cleverest
              Participant

Yeah places where the kick is plays a big part on difficulty, Personally while listening to the song, it is in that 4 to 5 dot category, without seeing the chart no way of really knowing tho. Also I did notice you said keys no part (not just missing) but there is keys (not that this is important to the matter at hand)

Yeah I’ll have to think about kick stuff more, I’m pretty limb-independent with kicks, so I need to keep that in mind…

BTW none of the live versions of these songs feature piano and so I missed it in the recording while looking at parts, assuming the high pitch dings was some pedal/guitar making all the textures. WOAH that’s nuts I missed that…I’ve listened to this song SO many times..

You can see that at least in the live version here there are no keys…:

The members of MM are: (sadly, errr..WERE)

cleverest
                Participant

Speaking of seeing a preview chart, I would love to share that, but Bandicam for some reason won’t record the AUDIO from Repear 4.22 so I can at least play back a preview clip..it gets the video fine, but not the audio, but Bandicam will record audio in all other programs I’ve tried it with…not sure what settings needs changed to fix that, but if possible, then I can offer previews from Reaper at least.

Shroud
                  Participant

There is no objective criteria for difficulties.

We could in theory compare with official songs but still there are many variables, and Harmonix isn’t always consistent. At least I could never understood how can they rate so low e.g the drums difficulty of In a Big Country… that’s very hard, or is it just me?

Also, some songs appear overestimated just because they have a short part that makes it very hard to hit 100% but are otherwise easy. Should the difficulty represent how hard is the song in general? How hard is the hardest part? How much chance you fail (assuming someone still plays without “no fail”)? Depends who you ask…

I have my own criteria but because I am not a real drummer, I probably give too high difficulty marks to my customs, as to me they all feel harder than they probably are.

cleverest
                    Participant

Interesting…thanks for sharing. Things to think about…

I checked out In a Big Country…I agree, it should at least be 1 more difficulty higher then it is listed.

mrcoupdetat
                      Participant

At least I could never understood how can they rate so low e.g the drums difficulty of In a Big Country… that’s very hard, or is it just me?

It’s not just you. That one always stands out to me as being seriously under-ranked. It’s not devil-tier, but it’s also not one dot on drums. I also think “No One Knows” by QUOTSA is over-ranked. There are tricky parts for sure, but it’s not devil-tier (imo). If it were up to me, I’d give it 4 dots.

cleverest
                        Participant

It’s not just you. That one always stands out to me as being seriously under-ranked. It’s not devil-tier, but it’s also not one dot on drums. I also think “No One Knows” by QUOTSA is over-ranked. There are tricky parts for sure, but it’s not devil-tier (imo). If it were up to me, I’d give it 4 dots.

Wow it IS subjective, I watched the chart for In a Big Country and would have ranked it 2 bubbles (no more than 3), so rank 3 or 4….for sure, not 1 though….there should be a voting/polling section of the site where a song is submitted and people try the song and help determine rank by vote…at least there can be some consensus/objectivity (sorta).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Back to top button