Any drumming tips for a newbie?

Tagged: , ,

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Well not necessarily a NEWBIE.. but there are some things I struggle with. Particularly sustaining rolls for a long time or switching between them consecutively. Are there any songs that are good to practice this on? Should I take actual drums lessons? Thanks for any tips guys!

AJFOne23
    Participant
      MasonPox
      Participant

Are you playing on edrum or regular rock band drums?

Playing rock band drums isn’t actually playing drums. Yeah i can play some ultra heavy songs on rock band because the abillity of ‘reading’ notes very quick and not having to care about strenght of hitting drums etc.

Playing rb on drums surely gives awesome thrill but it is not the same as playing live drums when you have to learn all patterns, keep tempo,care mucu about hitting strenght, abillity to use many techniques etc.

So i think that rock band is kind of drum lesson itself but you won’t learn how to play real drums that well juat by playing rb.

But fuck it, it is heavenly great anyway

P.s and as for tips, just play and think of your moves and how to improve them. Always try to be relaxed and dont strain your muscles. Use more wrist than forearm and just play play play.

hardcoredrummer
        Participant

when you get into higher speeds you should be using your fingers….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPE_ATmbmvo

if you are playing on a plastic kit the rebound might be the issue as the stick is suppose to do most of the work bouncing up and with those pads they may be absorbing the hit more than rebounding it. i know the gh kits were kind of spongy like.

Are you playing on edrum or regular rock band drums?

Playing rock band drums isn’t actually playing drums. Yeah i can play some ultra heavy songs on rock band because the abillity of ‘reading’ notes very quick and not having to care about strenght of hitting drums etc.

Playing rb on drums surely gives awesome thrill but it is not the same as playing live drums when you have to learn all patterns, keep tempo,care mucu about hitting strenght, abillity to use many techniques etc.

So i think that rock band is kind of drum lesson itself but you won’t learn how to play real drums that well juat by playing rb.

But fuck it, it is heavenly great anyway

P.s and as for tips, just play and think of your moves and how to improve them. Always try to be relaxed and dont strain your muscles. Use more wrist than forearm and just play play play.

Thanks for the tips! I use an electric drum kit. Haven’t played on regular rock band drums in years.

cleverest
          Participant

Master the 4/4 “rock beat”…and work it up in speed as time goes on until you can play it smoothly (approaching a trash beat in tempo), but also focus on minimal strain, even at that faster level…that will force coordination and integrate it into your mind which links to a ton of other “rock” beats that this stems off from and onto…learn you how to relax muscles you are not using while playing, etc…comfort is key, don’t over-reach, make adjustments if so…and if it’s causing too much strain, slow it down, work on wrist and finger technique to make the playing softer on your limbs, over time you will be amazed how quick and easy you can play….that will help your playing in general too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Back to top button