Which is better, or an alternative?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lifeismusic5
    Participant

So Im a novice at charting songs, been attempting to for quite some time with very little results, as obviously youve never seen a song from me yet. I use all the tools given by C3, BUT the main issue lies from where Im charting the songs.

I use at the moment EOF, I was told EOF was for beginners, but its very hard to get used to because its so painstakingly tedious. Been trying it since I started.

But theres also Reaper which Ive been told is a better charting program & more accurate, but its for more experienced charters.

Is there an inbetween or is that most likely it? Which is the better option for a beginner?

TheSheepQueen
      Participant

Reaper is not particularly for experienced authors, I’vé been making all of my RB customs on it. In fact I find it way more intuitive than EOF. Just grab yourself the authoring guide and go step to step. I’d say start with Guitar, Bass, Keys, then Drums, Pro Keys and Vocals. It’s really just a matter of not giving up on it!

lifeismusic5
        Participant

Thanks! Ive been finding it hard to chart songs with EOF, I attempted to use Reaper but it seems much more complicated, but maybe I just havent gotten much into Reaper to find out.

I started authoring with zero experience about a year ago and have only used Reaper.

Authoring has a bit of a learning curve to get the basics down – follow the guides to set up your environment then you can use the C3 template for your custom and use CAT to start the process of doing reductions for Hard, Medium and Easy when the time comes.

I would say that once you understand how the software works there are two main things to learn:

tempo mapping, so that your chart is in sync with the song

charting – which you will develop a feel for the more you do it.

There’s plenty of documentation to read and lots of support available here on the forums.

Also there are a couple of plugins that are very helpful for different aspects of charting. ReaPitch lets you adjust the pitch of songs – I was advised to increase the pitch of a song up an octave to help with charting bass for example. In the same vein I also use bassmanager to boost the bass.

I also find it helpful to watch video previews of songs that I know to see how they were charted.

lifeismusic5
          Participant

Ill try it, Ive look through this site for more information, hopefully Ill be able to get down the charting process so that it doesnt seem so scary or should I say intimidating. I mean its got a learning curve for sure, & it should be an easy process but like, Ill hear a song, be like I really think I could chart this! Then when I get to the application I draw a blank or find it harder than I thought.

AJFOne23
            Participant

Reaper gives you far more options and tools to work with. I attempted EOF but gave up quickly and never looked back

lifeismusic5
              Participant

Guess Im going to use Reaper then, any advice on getting started with Reaper? (From a charters perspective)

MrPrezident

Keeping the content Canadian since 2017!

SomeOldGuys: https://db.c3universe.com/songs/all/__user/someoldguys
                  MrPrezident: https://db.c3universe.com/songs/all/__user/MrPrezident

raynebc
                  Participant

EOF is fine unless you want to author lots of animation events, pro keys or harmonies. If you want to author pro guitar though, you’ll really be doing yourself a disservice if you don’t try something other than Reaper.

The pinned thread “list of all authoring stuff” is all you’ll need to get started. About a year ago I used it to get into charting, and while it took an initial dump of time, I got the hang of it eventually. For your first song i would recommend a relatively simple song that you know by heart, so that you don’t have to expend much energy learning the parts. Good luck!

Also, Reaper is definitely the way to go. Much easier and more efficient in the long run.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Back to top button