NOW AVAILABLE: Watch pksage’s “Let’s Author” customs workshop!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    pksage
    Keymaster

All done! Thanks to everyone who was there for the live stream. The on-demand video link, along with the project files for the song I worked with on-stream, are now in the OP.

CrazyCanuck
      Participant

Thank you for all the instructions. You definitely made it easier to use Reaper. I learned enough to know I still need to learn a lot. Looking forward to more helpful videos. Thanks again!!!

I’m watching it now – thank you soooooooooooo much!

ws54
        Participant

The Alt-c in midi editor tip was very useful. thanks. I’ve been doing it the hard way all this time.

afcchamp88
          Participant
            I’d like to see some shortcuts. Like if you have a repeating two measures on guitar and you want to copy paste. There’s got to be an easy way that I can’t find. Another is copying a track from one song to another. At some point I had an events track that went entirely haywire somewhere and I wanted to bring back in another one from the template. I had a rough time with it recognizing the new track.

Sounds like you’re overthinking it – copy and paste are pretty vanilla ctrl+C and ctrl+V.

Specifically, to copy a section of guitar: hold the right mouse button and drag to highlight the section you want to copy. Ctrl+C to copy. Left-click the cursor where you want to paste, and ctrl+V.

Ah. The right mouse button was the trick. That’s the kind of thing I’m looking for in a tips & tricks guide. Thanks!

OK, I’ve watched the workshop twice all the way through now. Plus lots of skipping back and repeating certain parts. Naturally, I am mostly focusing on the tempo map walkthrough to start. I was clicking along in REAPER while I was watching. I even reinstalled the program so that I was running the same version (3.78, 32 bit). For my first attempt I am using an mp3 of an an early KISS track called “She”. I chose this song because it has a pretty basic beat with a great “groove” on all instruments. I always thought this song would be tons o’fun in RB because each player gets their moment in the spotlight (in my book, the song flat out rocks). There is a much heavier cover version of the song by Anthrax that I also love, but I must pay respect to the original. Besides, my first custom has to be KISS, no matter what. Anyway, I believe things are starting to make some sense to me finally which is pretty exciting. It feels like I’m learning a nerd super-power (I mean that with the utmost admiration).

I must admit that the section on vocal charting was a bit daunting. I do play some guitar (the real kind), but my ear isn’t so pitch perfect (thank god for my SNARK clip on tuner). I think I would definitely need the assistance of those MIDI source files discussed in the video. I have absolutely no idea where I could find such a thing, but one step at a time. And pro keys seem to be way beyond the realm of my grasp right now, but frankly I’m not too concerned about that. I don’t want to psyche myself out right away, so I will start with the guitar and bass I think, and see how that goes.

One question…where is the best place to ask questions? I know to ask within the “Authoring Tools, Support, & Advice” section, but would this particular thread be somewhere where questions can be posed to those in the know? And even better yet, get them answered? (I guess I’m about to find out, lol). Thanks again to pksage and the other authors who helped out in the chat, it was very educational and provided a great starting tool for us hopefuls. I am looking forward to any future workshops like this, especially the one on Magma. I downloaded the program, but haven’t installed it yet because I don’t want to get ahead of myself. I don’t want to get discouraged by the sheer amount of details that lay ahead for me to wrap my brain around. But it sure would be nice to possess that super-power though.

:black101:

PS (no, it’s not over) – Is there anyway to download a video file of this workshop instead of having to stream it? I would love to have it playing on my TV while working on my computer.

pksage
            Keymaster
              It feels like I’m learning a nerd super-power (I mean that with the utmost admiration).

It’s true! We feel like that all the time. It rocks.

One question…where is the best place to ask questions? I know to ask within the “Authoring Tools, Support, & Advice” section, but would this particular thread be somewhere where questions can be posed to those in the know? And even better yet, get them answered?

Feel free to create new threads in that forum! This thread is fine too (when it’s de-announced it’ll be stickied in that forum), but new topics are a good way to catch people’s eye.

I think I would definitely need the assistance of those MIDI source files discussed in the video. I have absolutely no idea where I could find such a thing, but one step at a time.

Serious answer: Google for things like “ midi”.

Is there anyway to download a video file of this workshop instead of having to stream it? I would love to have it playing on my TV while working on my computer.

http://www.twitchtools.com/video-download.php

Once again my thanks oh wise sage (hey, wait a m…).

Maaaad with power.

Will we ever see a part 2, where pksage demonstrates how to go from the REAPER project to Magma compiling?

I will be streaming an interactive Rock Band custom song “Let’s Play Author” workshop this Sunday, September 22, at 5:00 PM EDT (UTC-4). Think of it kind of like a cooking show. I’ll have a finished custom project file on-hand, and I’ll step through the process from scratch with references to the finished thing. Topics will include at least a few of the following:

• Basic coverage of all the tools you need and where to (legally!) download them
              • How to use REAPER
              • Tempo mapping
              • Guitar/bass/drums/keys authoring
              • Vocals authoring
              • Other random bits of the custom song process

I’ll be going for two hours, and if I haven’t covered the important parts of the process, I’ll do a follow-up stream at a later date. Please join me live and ask questions! If you can’t make it, the stream will be available on-demand as soon as it’s over, but you won’t be able to ask me questions on the air. If you know you won’t be able to make it, post your questions in this thread, and I’ll answer them as I get to the relevant part of the stream.

All of the content shown will be completely legal. The song I’ll be using is one of my Rock Band Network songs, to which I have licensed all of the appropriate rights.

If you’re interested, follow me on my Twitch page or simply tune in on Sunday. Hope to see you there!

EDIT: It’s done! Thanks a ton to everyone who showed up live.

Watch the on-demand video of the stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/pksage/c/2976214” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

Download the REAPER project and MP3 of the song from the stream here: http://keepitfishy.com/d.php?523f82190f362” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you have a link to download this video? I’m having a lot of trouble watching it on that site!

Edited to add.

Is there anyway to download a video file of this workshop instead of having to stream it? I would love to have it playing on my TV while working on my computer.

http://www.twitchtools.com/video-download.php” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

Ha ha thanks!

pksage
              Keymaster
                Maaaad with power.

Will we ever see a part 2, where pksage demonstrates how to go from the REAPER project to Magma compiling?

Probably.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Back to top button