[How-To] Playing Customs on Wii

Viewing 15 posts - 2,611 through 2,625 (of 3,117 total)
  • Author
    EuroMIX
    Participant

The reason why F isn’t readily distributed is because it was actually used for some official DLC; about the first 50-odd slots, though the rest went unused which is why it’s one of the options for customs because there won’t be a conflict with official DLC since those remaining slots were never used.

G, and some others, are completely empty and unused generations which is why they tend to be more openly available, since there’s no official DLC tied to them. You can download the G wad for your respective region in the OP on the first page. You’ll need to install it to your Wii with a WAD manager or DLC using that generation won’t work. If you want customs to go in the G generation, then you need to pack them with the G packer, same for any other respective generation.

The reason why F isn’t readily distributed is because it was actually used for some official DLC; about the first 50-odd slots, though the rest went unused which is why it’s one of the options for customs because there won’t be a conflict with official DLC since those remaining slots were never used.

G, and some others, are completely empty and unused generations which is why they tend to be more openly available, since there’s no official DLC tied to them. You can download the G wad for your respective region in the OP on the first page. You’ll need to install it to your Wii with a WAD manager or DLC using that generation won’t work. If you want customs to go in the G generation, then you need to pack them with the G packer, same for any other respective generation.

Oh, that all makes so much sense. I have to say, I’m new here but this community is incredible. Thank you for your help. Providentially, I found and installed the sZFE.wad, and all works well. Thank you again!

Just been getting back into RB3 lately (finally trying out customs) and I have friends who want to sing but unfortunately I just have a Wii U microphone and it doesn’t work in the game. Is there any kind of hack available to make it work? It doesn’t seem like it would be too hard, since the mic functions as a normal USB microphone. It’s probably just a matter of disabling something in the operating system, or maybe even a Gecko code would work. But I have no idea how to actually go about doing it. Does anyone know of a hack available?

EuroMIX
      Participant

I looked into this myself, and AFAIK, Wii games can only be played with compatible generic Logitech mics.

Are you positive about that? I swear I used a non-logitech microphone in the past on the wii for RB3.

It might have to do with which cIOS you are using to load RB3? It wouldn’t hurt to check.

cIOSes in theory can be anything, but if you followed most of the popular guide the one you want is cIOS249.

EuroMIX
        Participant

It’s possible that other mics can work, but it’s a bit of a crapshoot. Most mics distributed for Wii games tend to be variants on the same basic Logitech design.

I’d imagine the problem is, that even if it were possible to somehow get other mics working, it’d take someone knowledgeable and dedicated enough to try. I imagine a lot of it depends on how the mic delivers its signal, and how the Wii, and the game using it, is designed to interpret it.

Believe me, I’d love it if someone could get the SingStar wireless mics working with the Wii, but I don’t expect that to happen anytime soon.

Well, wireless things tend to need more power, and as someone that has experimented with hard drives on wii, when you draw power from the wii it can be problematic. I can see why wireless mics just wouldn’t work on wii, though wired mics should work. I could be wrong though, the wii is such a fussy console, maybe I was just lucky and used one of the few models that works…

EuroMIX
          Participant

I use a Toshiba Canvio Connect II which apparently requires 5V-1.0mA and seems to work fine powered and accessed through USB port “0”.

The SingStar wireless mic dongle apparently requires 5V-100mA, but I suspect the problem is that it uses an encoded signal that only SingStar, and perhaps other select PS2/3/4(?) games, are designed to interpret. The Wii definitely seems to deliver power to the dongle, because the light comes on, but I don’t think any games are programmed to utilise it.

Can you use said mic with your computer? AFAIK RB3 just uses any generic mics. People on PS3/X360 can even use XLR mics, though I have no idea if this was even tested on wii.

EuroMIX
            Participant

Yes it works with my PC.

It’s possible that the Wii/microphone games on the Wii, or some combination of the two, were not programmed to be compatible with the SingStar wireless mics.

You can even find threads online like this one where people describe how they’ve tried and they don’t work. I’m not sure if this is something cIOS’s could fix, but even if they could, we’d probably go back to what I said before about nobody likely wanting to take the time and energy to do it.

In the thread someone mentions “One of the guys in EB Games mentioned that the sony ones might not work as they probably have DRM implemented to stop it from being used on other platforms. Not sure if accurate”

It could be the same case as Rock Band instruments, where PS2/3 and wii instruments and virtually the same, except home/ps buttons, the LED colors and a jumper value. I.E. hardware fixed to be used only on one console family. This is all speculation of course but that’s what makes the most sens.

Are you positive about that? I swear I used a non-logitech microphone in the past on the wii for RB3.

It might have to do with which cIOS you are using to load RB3? It wouldn’t hurt to check.

cIOSes in theory can be anything, but if you followed most of the popular guide the one you want is cIOS249.

I’m using d2x cios 10 beta53-alt with base iOS 56,I chose beta53-alt because I’ve read it have better USB support

If it’s power problem,could powered USB hub fix it?

It is possible, though it is also possible that it does not fix. Only real way to know is to test it (unless ofc someone already did test).

EuroMIX
              Participant

Does anyone know what actually happens to DLC on the SD Card when the game interacts with it? I know they’re APP files wrapped in a BIN file, but does the game copy them over to the Wii memory, or is it actually transferring them (meaning the data no longer exists on the SD card until it’s copied back)? I feel like the former would make more sense since it would help prevent potential data loss..

I think I just want to understand more what’s going on when the game is unable to copy content back to the SD Card when starting the game sometimes.

seg45
                Participant

I need help with the sZGE folder when I install the wad it gives the error that is expected but when I put the bin files in the folder and start up the game I get “Add on content” error. Am I doing anything wrong?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,611 through 2,625 (of 3,117 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Back to top button