[How-To] Playing Customs on Wii

Viewing 15 posts - 2,566 through 2,580 (of 3,117 total)
  • Author
    Oddbrother
    Participant

What are the venues on the other versions of the games with the film-style count in and psychedelic backgrounds then? Here’s an example of what I’m talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuEHs-oJLrw

Rock Band 2 features four music video venues, but they only work with songs that have been exclusively authored and formatted for them.

EuroMIX
      Participant

Rock Band 2 features four music video venues, but they only work with songs that have been exclusively authored and formatted for them.

Is there any known reason why this is the case?

Oddbrother
        Participant

Is there any known reason why this is the case?

The reason why it’s hard-coded this way is unknown. Furthermore, the only way to access them depends on if a song’s MIDI is dressed up with a MV VENUE track. Theoretically, it’s for a unique presentation compared to live on stage before HMX said, “Meh, make it adapt to everything in RB3.”

EuroMIX
          Participant

I’m surprised why they didn’t include a venue select option (perhaps defaulted to random) and include the music video style venue as a potential option in that list.

I’ve been playing Customs for quite a while, so I actually might be using some ancient methods, but lately I’ve been having some songs that are freezing the game while loading them. Some examples (in case anyone can confirm that these worked/didn’t work for them) are Daydream Believer, Baba Yetu, Lady by Styx, and the recently released Beatles customs. I checked and all of these have meta files ~10KB, so I don’t think size is the issue, and I had other songs that worked within the same update batch, so I don’t think it’s a refresh cache issue. Anyone have problems loading and were able to fix them?

Just as fyi, here’s my process:

Download xbox con > Convert to WiiFiles with ConTools > Move to my Packer folder > Rename folders to fit numbering order > Modify .dta file to match number > Modify then run the packdlc.bat > Copy bins to SD card > Refresh cache with Homebrew > Load songs in Rock Band

Atruejedi
            Participant

Just as fyi, here’s my process:

Download xbox con > Convert to WiiFiles with ConTools > Move to my Packer folder > Rename folders to fit numbering order > Modify .dta file to match number > Modify then run the packdlc.bat > Copy bins to SD card > Refresh cache with Homebrew > Load songs in Rock Band

How many BINs are you loading at once during a cache refresh? I’ve noticed exponentially increasing instability when loading above 1300 BINs and now have to selectively choose which generations of customs/official DLC I’m loading to remain below that threshold. Otherwise, I’ll make a setlist and the game will lock up randomly when loading from one song to the next and I’ll have to hard reboot the Wii.

Oh no, not nearly that many, I typically have about ~90 customs (and I have my RB DLC on another SD card).

Maybe I should go through and check for old/unused bins tho.

Atruejedi
              Participant

It keeps telling me it’s trying to read from an invalid SYSCONF

I’m having the same issue. It began when I downloaded the package provided in the original post and overrode the original files in my downloaded NAND.

I’ve never used Dolphin before tonight (since I use my real Wii), but testing venues for customs is just painstaking and time consuming and tedious when using the real Wii. I want to try to test venues using Dolphin, so here we are.

I managed to get Rock Band 3 loading with Dolphin, but once I tried to get customs working, I got the above error. I’m using a rip of my NTSC RB3 disc. I’m using the latest stable Dolphin, which is 5.0.

When you took your wii’s NAND your forgot (or didn’t know?) that you need to keep’s dolphin’s SYSCONF file. This should be mentionned in any dolphin guide that tells you how to use a wii NAND with dolphin.

Atruejedi
                Participant

When you took your wii’s NAND your forgot (or didn’t know?) that you need to keep’s dolphin’s SYSCONF file. This should be mentionned in any dolphin guide that tells you how to use a wii NAND with dolphin.

Well, here’s what the OP says…

Packing DLC for Dolphin is similar to the main console method, except faster. To start, download the Dolphin-DLC-Files. These files will overwrite the Wii folder of your Dolphin Emu’s virtual NAND. To find your NAND path, run the emulator and click Config. In the Paths tab, it’s the Wii NAND Root path listed. You can change this too, if you don’t want to lose saves or other things because this might overwrite anything valuable you may have had if you’ve used Dolphin before.

Honestly, it’s unclear, and I don’t want to fudge it up again.

I have my NAND extracted. I used an SD card and now it’s on my hard drive. It’s a bit outdated, but whatever.

I downloaded the files. Stack says they will overwrite the Wii Folder of Dolphin’s NAND. But in the next sentence, he says to find “YOUR” NAND path. Does he mean the one I extracted??? Or the one from Dolphin??? Assuming Dolphin has one, which it might not.

Furthermore, when I press Config > Paths in Dolphin, the “Wii NAND Root” at the bottom (and the other 3 options) isn’t pointing to anything by default. I DID point Dolphin to MY Wii’s extracted NAND on my first try, but as you’ve learned, installing that RAR of files screwed everything up, presumably because I didn’t know I needed to NOT install the SYSCONF that comes with it. Sigh.

I’m only doing this because I want to test custom venue stuff and doing that on a real Wii is breaking my spirit. So. Much. Time and effort.

I await your guidance, sensei.

Spindoctor
                  Participant

Sure glad I have a bunch of xbox 360s for backup. Just reading this give me a headache.

All you need to do to get custom songs working (in theory anyways) is grab your own wii NAND backup decrypted (I believe the tools you guys use to wipe the cache is capable of this?) and just replace the SYSCONF file from your decrypted NAND with the one that comes with Dolphin and then use that NAND with Dolphin. This should also bring your savegame and stuff. This should also “unlock” any slots you have unlocked on your wii.

EuroMIX
                    Participant

Is there a good guide anywhere for using an emunand with Rock Band 3 for DLC, and is it worth it? What are the general benefits?

I currently run all my Wii games from a USB backup hard drive through USB Loader GX, and I know it supports emunand, I just don’t know if it’s worth the hassle to learn how to do it.

As far as I know there is no solution that works for everyone to use an emunand on Wii. But it can work (I am using one).

The general benefits: being able to reach 3k songs and reate a 3k song cache in 15 minutes or so and be able to play them without lag or fear of crashing console at the price of a 5-10minute freeze at boot. Second benefit is that app files are unpackable much like rar files, while bin files are pretty much encrypted. Third benifit would be the size of said app files can reach pretty much any size, as big as your packer wants to pack them.

We have discussed here: http://customscreators.com/index.php?/topic/16077-emuvirtual-nand-help/with the method I use, one my friends got it working through WiiFlow though idk exactly how he did, I haven’t been able to reproduce. As I said… not exact science sadly.

StackOverflow0x
                      Participant

Well, here’s what the OP says…

Honestly, it’s unclear, and I don’t want to fudge it up again.

I have my NAND extracted. I used an SD card and now it’s on my hard drive. It’s a bit outdated, but whatever.

I downloaded the files. Stack says they will overwrite the Wii Folder of Dolphin’s NAND. But in the next sentence, he says to find “YOUR” NAND path. Does he mean the one I extracted??? Or the one from Dolphin??? Assuming Dolphin has one, which it might not.

Furthermore, when I press Config > Paths in Dolphin, the “Wii NAND Root” at the bottom (and the other 3 options) isn’t pointing to anything by default. I DID point Dolphin to MY Wii’s extracted NAND on my first try, but as you’ve learned, installing that RAR of files screwed everything up, presumably because I didn’t know I needed to NOT install the SYSCONF that comes with it. Sigh.

I’m only doing this because I want to test custom venue stuff and doing that on a real Wii is breaking my spirit. So. Much. Time and effort.

I await your guidance, sensei.

It’s been a while since the instructions were written. I remember I was able to do this on a fresh install with those files. Alternity is right, though. Dolphin should play the game just fine with your NAND files. I’m not sure what’s the deal with the SYSCONF file on new Dolphin builds. Try not overwriting yours and see what happens. From what I remember, that affected the region which DLC was loaded from. If you’re not seeing any DLC after loading the game, let me know.

Also, which version of the emulator, specifically, are you using? Right now, 5.0-6203, which is the latest, works with Rock Band 3 DLC.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,566 through 2,580 (of 3,117 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Back to top button