[How-To] Playing Customs on Wii

Viewing 15 posts - 2,506 through 2,520 (of 3,117 total)
  • Author
    StackOverflow0x
    Participant

Hey Stack, out of curiosity, what exactly did you type to make “My Custom Category” show up in your screenshot? Since I removed all my customs to focus on my regular DLC (and then add back customs in an organized manner this time ’round), I’d add like to add them back in a way so that they don’t mix in with the RBN category, for the purpose of identifying them better.

You just type out what you want after game_origin in the DTA. As long as it’s not one of the ones listed above, it will appear exactly as you typed in.

So… this specific post/comment was an incoherent desperate ramble about some issues. I’ve worked out some of it, but the main issues still remains, so I’ll delete what was previously here and ask for help in a more coherent way.

After loading a last batch of songs (around 200), and after it being read correctly by the game, the next time I boot it up, it freezes or behaves in any other strange form.

For example, the first time, I ran a cache reset before loading the songs, and the next time I booted it (after a successful load into the game), the cache was reset without deleting the MSTORE file, and all the songs had to be loaded again.

After a cache reset (and after some desperate measures, including save deletion, cIOS reinstalling, cheats rewriting etc etc etc), I removed all the songs from my SD and put it back generation by generation, so the game could load them one at a time. It worked well until sZGE – it loaded, stayed there after the reboot, no random freezes. I loaded sZHE – it went well, the number of songs went up to 26XX, I played a new song for good measure. The next time I booted the game, it froze on the “refreshing add-on content” screen. Subsequent boots give me the same result.

I’m starting to think it’s a hardware issue – that, despite the 3000 songs cheat code, the Wii can actually support only a bit over 2500 without issues. Either that or my Wii is getting old and showing (over 8 yo, I think). Do you guys have any other hypothesis about what could be causing this?

I’m running an original RB3 disc on Neogamma, customs are in a 64GB SDXC card.

StackOverflow0x
      Participant

Seems it could be a song limit issue. Does anyone else have that many songs?

The best way to know for sure would be to test the songs in halves. If both halves behave correctly, then it could be an issue only when they’re all together.

I managed to load 2952 (I believe this is the actual limit) through emunand. The issues were related to the music store being extremely slow (to the point of erroring out and kicking you out, or freezing for minutes) and freezing for a good 5 minutes when booting; but besides that it was working fine, even online.

I tried to get the limit higher on real wii (emunand) but even 3001 it would freeze (Not even having 3001 songs, just the code being 3001 makes it freeze without any DLCs installed).

The code at 4000 (even 5000) works fine on dolphin (at the cost of possible visual glitches in menus), so it must be a real console only limitation.

If that’s relevant, my DLC/customs setup was pretty simple: All DLCs (most of them) in their respective slot and I replaced some songs (in some cases just merged) in sZAE for customs.

I see. I’m running it on real NAND, so I’m willing to bet the capacity is a bit lower on real NAND + SD than on an emuNAND.

I don’t think there’s any problem on my last batch of songs per se, because they loaded correctly. But maybe a test wouldn’t be a bad idea. For now I’m glad to have restored the other songs back to normality (about 2450). Now I have a good excuse to clean up my collection.

The next step, anyway, would be a migration to Dolphin. Does anyone know the minimum PC specs to play Rock Band 3 on it?

You said it was freezing at “refreshing add-on content”. How long did you let it sit? RB2 also had the freezing problem when you had over a few thousand songs. (Yes, even using SD card). I’d try letting it load for 10-15 minutes or something to see if it’s actually frozen or not.

For RB3 on Dolphin you need a fairly decent CPU (high-end AMD (FX) or any Ryzen or decent Intel) and a decent graphics card (I have a GTX 760 and it works fine). You can still try if you have lower specs, maybe you’d still be able to get solid 60 in-game; only way to know is to try.

I admit I wouldn’t let it sit frozen for too long. Maybe with a few minutes of waiting it would carry on normally. But the first time the issue was different – was the cache resetting alone, not the freeze.

I think I’ll give it a shot, tho, and see what happens. All I know is that it was a hard freeze – 5s of pressing the power button etc.

Hard freeze is normal. On emunand it would freeze (and resuming for a second randomly, but still play either no sound or the same sound sample of half a second over and over) and then I can select to ignore SD card (using emunand you always have to do that) and then it would freeze again for few more minutes in the main menu. I don’t know why it freezes two times; probably initial loading of the cache then because I choose to keep them on the NAND it freezes again? idk to be honest lol.

I should note that on Dolphin, even at 4k+ songs there is no freezing at all.

But yeah, how long does the cache creation takes for 2k+ songs on real NAND? on emunand it would take 10minutes on average for a 3k songs cache file.

Well on my real nand cache creation aprox 1600 songs(both offical & customs dlc) takes almost 1.5 – 2 hours. Cant remember exactly. It is slow.

Holy shit. That is quite significant difference.

Irish, if that does take the same ammount of time (or more) as bladekinslayer, I would suggest waiting way more than 10 minutes at the freezing, I’m actually curious if it would take the same ammount of time to get through the freezing.

It takes… more than an hour, yeah. I have a bit short of 1500 packs (counting official DLC) and it is slooooooooooow.

I will try to “overload” my Wii once again and see how long it takes to unfreeze (if it does at all). But if it takes too long to load each time, I’ll choose not to go through the wait every time it boots – I predict too many ruined parties should that be the case.

Senoue
        Participant

I was just wondering, if the Dec to Hex is just for order, do I need to that step when converting a con or can I just convert and pack?

As far as I know the Hex number is used for the app file name (NAND files, i.e. not using SD card) while the decimal number is used inside the DTA for slot number and bin file number.

I don’t think the naming of your folders is important prior to packing as long as your final filename is right, However it’s much more clean and organised, + if you ever switch method your DLCs will be set for it no matter what, so IMHO you should stick to the naming convention.

Hey, whats up!

Thank you for the hardwork… I’ve already used the guide to both my Wii and my new Dolphin setup and its amazing.

I came up with a doubt which is that I have official dlc downloaded on my SD card in my Wii. I would like to know if its possible to use them within the Dolphin emulator. All customs fan-made are working fine, but I’m now wondering if its possible to play the official Harmonix DLC.

Thanks!

StackOverflow0x
          Participant

Hey, whats up!

Thank you for the hardwork… I’ve already used the guide to both my Wii and my new Dolphin setup and its amazing.

I came up with a doubt which is that I have official dlc downloaded on my SD card in my Wii. I would like to know if its possible to use them within the Dolphin emulator. All customs fan-made are working fine, but I’m now wondering if its possible to play the official Harmonix DLC.

Thanks!

Dolphin is supposed to be able to use the SD card if you’ve imaged the card you were using. I’ve never gotten this to work though, so it may not even be possible. So if that doesn’t work, you may be out of luck. There’s no way to get the app files out of the BIN files for RB3 DLC, so you can’t load them in that way.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,506 through 2,520 (of 3,117 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Back to top button